Berlingo battles and DRKpers

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.
citronut

Re: DRKpers

Unread post by citronut »

demag wrote:
Err is that a brolly tucked behind the spare wheel? :rofl2:
its for prodding cyclists that get toooooooo close :rofl2: :-D :wink:

it couldnt be for it original purpose as Mike is a hardened soft topper :yikes: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :eye: :eye:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
lexi
(Donor 2020)

Unread post by lexi »

That is excellent. You need something like that now and again for fun. Far better than bowls and an allotment :rofl2:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

I got my Great Aunt one of these as a joke present one Christmas (the one on the left). She loves it, and it is on her bureau in the living room. It explains the umbrella!

http://www.bearonlinestore.com/ibtbdb/i ... usabbr.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 26 Jan 2014, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Unread post by Northern_Mike »

Bowls and an allotment?

Pah.

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Unread post by DickieG »

Looks like the water temperature needle has gone off the scale!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Northern_Mike

DickieG wrote:Looks like the water temperature needle has gone off the scale!

:lol: No, it wasn't working at all. You can just about see the top of the needle on the far left of the gauge. The cable had come off the back of it, but we weren't about to look at that speed.
demag
(Donor 2016)

Unread post by demag »

Just out of interest what were the revs at that speed?
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Northern_Mike

Around 7000! It was slightly downhill and I just kept my foot down. To our surprise the speed just kept creeping up. It didn't accelerate really over 100, rather just gained momentum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Northern_Mike

Re: Berlingo battles and DRKpers

Well, due to the C5's impending demise, and the numerous punctures and iffy tyres the Berlingo is wearing, today I decided it was time I finally got round to swapping the wheels from the C5 to the Berlingo, as they have good tyres on it.

I got two done, and then it lashed down, so I just carried on. Then I gave the wheels a quick wash, as they were grotty from at least 8 months without a clean!

The result

I think they suit the Berlingo, and I don't think it looks over-tyred. It drives better with slightly fatter, quality rubber.

The C5 by comparison looks a bit daft on the Berlingo steels. I've kept the trims in the shed, they're not going with the C5 when it goes!

Rooting round the C5 as I took the wheels off, I noticed the rear discs. Don't look like they've been too busy..

and the fronts are just a bit of a state really, though for anyone interested, the calipers are free, and the handbrake works perfectly.

Think they've done about 4000 miles, if that, since I got it.

Hopefully, it'll be gone by Weds or Thurs, then something can be bought to replace it.
Northern_Mike

Well, to put this DRK stuff back where it belongs, in the DRK "blog" thing I created would be a good idea.

Anyway, today it rained. Someone (Simon?) said he was playing hide and seek with the rain too. I just stood under the brolly and watched it..

I have rang around and managed to find somewhere that could ID the shoes and cylinders. They are apparently Bendix items from a Renault 4 van, early 70s. They can get them, but it'll be a while and I need to get the car mobile and safe. I have managed to source 1 correct cylinder, so lets hope it's the right one. I needed to remove the old flexi from the knackered cylinder. I'd fought with it yesterday, soaked it in penetrating oil, heated up the cylinder with the propane torch - all to no avail.

I tried again today, decided to get the dremel on it and cut some chunks out of the side of the cylinder to allow the heat to get right into it. It worked!

The reason for the lack of brake on one side (yet enough to pass an MOT) is apparent here. One piston seized completely solid in the bore. The edges are broken where I was gripping the cylinder with the mole grips for a while.

Nasty.

So, then I thought I'd clean up the old flexi-hose and fittings so they can be reused until the new items turn up. Wire brush attachment on the dremel, breathing mask on, and a good seeing-to. Came up a treat, I flushed it through with brake cleaner a few times and even found a new copper washer for it.

In the unlikely event of the item advertised on eBay as a R4 front brake cylinder last week being the correct item (it looked like it was, was new, and cost me £1.78 + post) then hopefully I can get a brake working on that side and use the old girl on Wednesday. Time will tell....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Mike, well done =D>

That was a pretty serious storm of rain!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut

Unread post by citronut »

Mike if you are still stuck for the parts try if you havent already

http://www.biggred.co.uk/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they are very good and prompt with there replies and postage

also they sourced and supplied front caliper repair kits for Chris Salters Visa, were other companies we tried failed
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Well, the cylinder I'd ordered off eBay just to get it mobile again before I bothered to order more parts arrived. I fitted, put the shoes back in place....

I adjusted the manual adjusters up bit by bit so the drum was just free. Got the missus in the car to give it a good pumping. For some reason the shoes popped out of position, not once, but twice, culminating in the piston popping out of one side of the shoe. I am damned if I know why, and I popped off the drum on the other side to check I wasn't going mad. I wasn't, but the "working" brake on that side is in a worse state than the "broken" one I was trying to fix!

Fluid and gunk had actually collected in the bottom of the drum over the four days it's been stood there.... unbelievable. I know they don't do a visual inspection of the brakes at MOT time, but this is a lesson that just because they work enough to pass a test, it doesn't mean they aren't actually nearly completely (-expletive removed-). Fluid and goo everywhere.

I've gone right off this car now, I really have. I don't really understand this ancient technology, and I'm damned if I can work out why it popped the shoes off - as you can see, they were assembled exactly the same way as the other side (a mirror image, trailing and leading shoes on the right side etc).
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder how difficult it would be to convert it to disk brakes on the front. IIRC Pug 106 are 3 stud wheels.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I wonder how difficult it would be to convert it to disk brakes on the front. IIRC Pug 106 are 3 stud wheels.
Late R4s were discs, I have hubs, calipers and discs to do such a thing, but I have absolutely no interest (nor, it appears, the skills) to do such a thing.

Hell, I've got a spare race-tuned engine for it with a newly rebuilt gearbox up North in the cellar!

Want it? Google "DRK for sale" and make me an offer ;-) Mine's number 2 out of 59, was built as a demonstrator and is the only one with historic tax :-)