I-Spy Citroen H Vans (aka HY/TUBE etc)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

I-Spy Citroen H Vans (aka HY/TUBE etc)

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Now then, anyone who was a child in the 1950's or 1960's will well remember Big Chief I-Spy and those little books which sold in their hundreds of thousands. There was even a bit of a revival when Michelin started churning them out when my girls were growing up. I think the I spy Classic Cars actually has a Morris Marina in it now! (edit-not quite but it does have a Ford Sierra/ Austin Maxi and Austin Allegro in it :!: )

If you fancy joining in this thread is "I-Spy Citroen H Vans" Claim your own 50 points

So I am claiming 50 points for an unusual spot

This is Dumbo, the Soup Van of the "Union of Genius" Soup Café , Forest Road, Edinburgh.

Read the review of the black pudding, chorizo, butterbeans and tomato soup :)

odhu ntingo

NewcastleFalcon
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 09 Jun 2014, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: I-Spy Citroen H Vans (aka HY/TUBE etc)

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I know of one in Oxford, just outside the Westgate shopping centre, for hot dogs, sandwiches, etc. Maroon and Cream in colour.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

James I think 50 points can only be awarded for a bit of photographic evidence! :)

In the old days at the end of the I-Spy book when you had finally scored your 1000 points there was a verification process to be gone through:-

"Each book had pictures of items to spot and a box to record the time, date and place. Sometimes there would be a supplementary question to verify that the little Redskin {this is what the I-Spy tribe were known as} hadn't been "economical with the truth". Each spotted item also gained them a number of points: generally five or ten points for something common (a fire engine, say), but 20 or 30 points for valued rarities (perhaps a particular design of Gothic bootscraper found only within the lychgates of 15th Century Northamptonshire churches).

When the book had finally been completed, it had to be countersigned by a parent or teacher beneath the following sworn affidavit:

I certify I have examined the record in this book, and as far as I can judge, the entries are genuine.

The book was then mailed to Big Chief I-Spy, c/o the Wigwam-by-the-Water (later Wigwam-by-the-Green), London EC4. By return of post, the Brave would receive a coloured feather and an order-of-merit certificate franked with the chief's personal seal."

I only ever got my 1000 points for "I-Spy Birds"....

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 01 May 2014, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

In Christmas my wife take me to shopping in Reading. I eat very nice sausage from H-van parked by river in shopping centre. Somewhere I have picture. I will post for 50p :-p

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Miguel

It may even be the same one that James has seen in Oxford! The picture gets you 50 points when it arrives! :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

IIRC the Reading one was pale blue. I had forgotten about that one (and I don't have a picture of it either)!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I love H Vans to bits. They are just so special :P The coolest Citroen ever...

I claim my 50 points as I see one regularly near Mere in Wiltshire parked in a layby on the A303 advertising a local wine shop. A blue one..

I'm sure others who regularly traverse the A303 in this area have seen it many times too..

I have a picture of it somewhere...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

As with James (Hell-Razor), and Miguel I am afraid that your claim for 50 points Jim can only be authorised with a picture, unless you get a sworn affidavit

"I certify I have examined the record in this forum post from _______________ (member name), and as far as I can judge, the entries are genuine."

This would have to be another forum member of substantial standing............

We owe it to Big Chief I-Spy to keep the standards up :-D

Thanks Neil

This is the type of thing I am looking for!
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 02 May 2014, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Excellent!

Neil, I shall dig out that picture and post it up.. I really do want my 50 points!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Glad you are going down the genuine picture route rather than the "sworn affidavit from another forum member of substantial standing" route :-D

all the best
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

there were 2 in the Runners village for the Bath Half Marathon in early March, One especially awesome for me as twas a Cornish plate on it And it was serving Pancakes!!!!!!

the Coffee camper was pretty cool, Everyone Needs Coffee!!!

there is a H van resto saving place down here, Letubestation .something, occasionally have a look, Love the quirkyness of them!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Glad you are going down the genuine picture route rather than the "sworn affidavit from another forum member of substantial standing" route :-D
And here it is Neil, I apologise for the poor quality. Phone camera on a grotty old day...

Timmo, lovely ones from Bath. Very excellent :-D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Timmo,

Thats top quality Citroen H I-Spying. If I was the sole arbiter of points awarding that would be 2 X 50. Both active "H's", and a bit of nice background with the Cornish plates. Being originally a Durham lad our old reg's used to be "UP" and "PT". I remember being on holiday in London for the first time in 1968 seeing several "OO" number plates. Hilarious when combined with a "P" or "L" :-D

Had the H been serving pasties or cream teas or cornish ice cream maybe even a few more bonus points would be merited.

Jim

I think you have gone for the added authenticity with the phone and the duff weather and possibly a left handed shot. I presume your right hand was on the steering wheel at the time! A well deserved 50 points. Maybe you should call in at Yapp wines just for pure randomness and select a nice chablis for pure pleasure :-D

regards
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Wk and WL are our New deciphered reg's! Westcountry Kernow and Westcountry Left! (the first Is true, the second what we made up in the garages! ;-))
Old ones were AV - I think,AF CV RL, I did like the tow rope addition! ;-)
I'd Love an H van!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
NewcastleFalcon

Timmo

Didn't notice the "Tow Rope addittion" until you mentioned it. Maybe it looks good but is not a go-er......... maybe a token point should be deducted how does 99 sound?

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey