V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Re: V6 Xantia......... the beginning of another adventure

Post by Trainman »

I didn't get chance today to strip the struts down, but I did get the chance to have a look at both the cruise and boot light.

I swapped the boot light switch for a good one and it's still dead, so it's looking like there's no power, so a couple of things spring to mind, has the power been cut to provide a supply to something else? Is it just a broken wire somewhere? Is it disconnected because of the gas tank in the boot? I'm going to have a bit of a play over the next couple of weeks to see what I can find.

Cruise control wise, it looks like the rod in the bellows has become disconnected inside the bellows, I say this because it's definitely connected at the throttle end, and it seems like you could almost pull the rod out of the bellows. Now I'm presuming that these can no longer be obtained from the dealer, so I'm going have to have a hunt round on fleabay.
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It's normal for the rod to be like that in the cruise bellows Steve. It should have some play and is adjustable. Test it by compressing the bellows flat with your fingers and seeing that the rod pulls the throttle open.

Also, whilst doing that pull the vacuum pipe off and put your finger over the end of the spigot after compressing the bellows. They should stay compressed indicating they have no leaks.

Bellows are often seen on the 'bay as they were also used on several species of 406..

Have you seen my full cruise fault-finding guide?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Morning Jim, no, I've not seen the guide, thanks for the tips though
Steve

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'll dig it out for you Steve. Cruse is absolutely essential on a V6 :wink:

I'll make a small wager; it's either the brake switch or a vacuum leak causing the problem :)

Those two thing account for 99% of cruise faults...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

CitroJim wrote:I'll dig it out for you Steve. Cruse is absolutely essential on a V6 :wink:

I'll make a small wager; it's either the brake switch or a vacuum leak causing the problem :)

I can rule out the switch, tried and tested one from Paul, must be a leak somewhere, I know it's not the pipe under the front because that was checked yesterday....... another hint begins...... still, hopeful it's fairly easy to fix
Steve

citronut

Post by citronut »

and the obvious place to look for a break in the wire for the boot light, im sure you already know is between the hatch and the body
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh so your is one of the 1% then Steve..

Here's the guide to making it all happy again :)
Jim

Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

citronut wrote:and the obvious place to look for a break in the wire for the boot light, im sure you already know is between the hatch and the body
Thanks Malcolm, the hunt will begin in the New Year, My next day off is Christmas Day and SWMBO has already "suggested" I reconsider that particular thought....... :roll: :roll: :roll:

CitroJim wrote:Ahh so your is one of the 1% then Steve..

Here's the guide to making it all happy again :)
Oh dear, a bit of bedtime reading..... :roll: :roll: thankfully any long distance stuff will be done in the C6 over the "Bah Humbug" period....... :wink:
Steve

Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

This morning, I've been a good boy (hint to Santa 8-[ ) and stripped off the brake disc's, pad's and caliper's from the two struts I got from Will.

I took some more pictures of the two strut tops, this is the good one......

This is the one that's most definately "beyond economical repairs"

The struts are off a Mark 2 Xantia V6 so therefore the tops are different to my Mark 1, If anybody can make use of the good one or even the bad, let me know please, otherwise SWMBO will be giving instructions to get rid of them.

In other news.............. I've had a quick look at the boot light, and it seems the switch is getting no power to it so I'm going to have a go at tracing the wire back, I suspect Malcolm is going to be correct and that the wire has been broken between the body and tailgate, but that's for another day.
Steve

KP

Post by KP »

Even on the good one that rubber has started to crack which makes me wonder if applying some silicone back to black type stuff would help keep them from drying out with age? They had been stored wet in a garage for a long time with the rest of the car before i got to it and after the sills its no surprise other bits were going to have suffered from not being dry stored :(

Glad that some bits are going to help you out though steve :) wonder if the struts themselves are the same between mk1/mk2 as they could be a worthwhile upgrade if someone fancied them :)
Fake Concern

Post by Fake Concern »

I've just read through this thread, another adventure indeed! Car looks lovely, I can't wait to see it at a show next year after you have finished fixing every little thing.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:I'll dig it out for you Steve. Cruse is absolutely essential on a V6 :wink:

Typical for me to fall into the one percent then Jim. :-D On mine it was the brake pedal switch AND the dump electrovalve at fault... (high resistance coil)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Technically you were in the 99% group Simon as the duff electrovalve could have been interpreted as a vacuum leak!
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote:Technically you were in the 99% group Simon as the duff electrovalve could have been interpreted as a vacuum leak!
But he was in the 1% whose vacuum leak was caused by a faulty electrovalve :-)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Well, yes agreed Mike but I was just trying to make Simon feel better about the whole situation :lol: :lol:

Simon sorry, you 're unfortunately not one of the majority after all :( And that's from one of your fellow countrymen too :lol:
Jim