Changes to road tax

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

SORN rules update

Post by bobins »

No doubt of mild interest to a few of you........

1. No requirement to renew a Statutory Off Road
Notification (SORN) on an annual basis
Subject to law change, from 16 December 2013 DVLA will remove
the requirement for customers to renew a SORN on an annual basis.
This means that a SORN will remain in force until a vehicle is either
taxed, sold or scrapped. Once a vehicle keeper has notified DVLA
that their vehicle is SORN’d, they will no longer have the burden of
annual SORN renewals.

Taken from the latest DVLA propaganda.... sorry, news update :-D
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... Issue6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: SORN rules update

Post by Xaccers »

That makes sense. Never understood the need to renew it every year other than to catch out the forgetful. Think how much money will be saved by not having to process SORN renewals.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Makes sense with the ANPR etc in use these days. Now if only the TV Licencing folk would follow suit, rather than me having to keep telling them every 6 months that I don't have a TV in the apartment in the UK, even though I put the "date when you expect this property to have a TV" in the far future, they'll still say "We will contact you again in 6 months to see if the situation has changed". Giving up now, they can keep trying to come round and either not find me there, or come in and see that there is no TV in sight.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Maybe it's connected with the phasing out of Tax (VED) discs in 2014...

They say now that all is electronic and the status can be checked in a jiffy their day is done...

Personally I still think there should be something visible in a windscreen to demonstrate the car is VED'd, MOT'd and insured.

A retrograde step perhaps..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

One possibility mooted was the insurance disc.

I'd also imagine that along with a website and text service to check how much MoT and tax is left on a car, there will be a DVLA phone number to call.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote: Personally I still think there should be something visible in a windscreen to demonstrate the car is VED'd, MOT'd and insured.
With the days of quality scanners and photocopiers around it's completely pointless Jim. I could scan a disc, change the details and print out a copy that would fool all but the most expert of observers.

I sold my Xsara to a chap who was using it to tow a boat to Portugal two days later. I kept the original disc and put a colour photocopy in it's place (I told him). Once he told me he was out the country, I cashed the tax in using the original disc.

I am aware of people abroad who've taken UK cars for longer than the permitted six months, declared them SORN here and just made their own discs with the aid of friends here (not me!) so to local authorities it looks legal.

Electronic is the only way I'm afraid. It's way to easy to copy documents and permits these days.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes I know mike, all your arguments are fully valid and I agree but a car doesn't look right without a disc in the corner of the windscreen...

Maybe a nice repro disc from when the car was new will do. Several firms do those nowadays for the classic buffs...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:Yes I know mike, all your arguments are fully valid and I agree but a car doesn't look right without a disc in the corner of the windscreen
I agree. I always thought it was an achievement to get my car into a taxable state and give the obtuse old sod in the post office no reason to refuse me a tax disc. There's something special about tearing out the new disc from it's square.

electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Changes to road tax

Post by electronmirror »

Changes coming into effect in October 2014 mean that:

"When selling a vehicle to a new vehicle keeper, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferable. Vehicle tax will end when a vehicle is sold and the new keeper will need to get the vehicle taxed immediately before the vehicle can be used."

See DVLA news https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

The abolition of the paper tax disc has been widely publicised but I'd not heard of this change :o
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (118,000miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
Northern_Mike

Re: Changes to road tax

Post by Northern_Mike »

Sod that! That's going to cause untold law-breaking. I won't buy a car with no tax. Wonderful idea. Ffs.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That article didn't say what happens to any remaining tax from when the vehicle is sold.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

And if you borrow someone else's car and it's not taxed how do you know? Who gets the fine and points? I am insured to drive other cars, a valid tax disc and I know it's taxed and a good chance it has a mot
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2