Would a xant td run on heating oil Hypothetically speaking??

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:This is where legislation is plain lunacy. Greater penalty risk for people making ends meet, than someone who causes a company or bank to fold up...
As ever was the case...

Mike, I'll bet the book will be thrown just as hard at a user 'making ends meet' as the dealer. Unless they see it in the same light as they do possession of small amounts of funny baccy... Trouble is I doubt they do.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Re: Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
addo wrote:This is where legislation is plain lunacy. Greater penalty risk for people making ends meet, than someone who causes a company or bank to fold up...
As ever was the case...

Mike, I'll bet the book will be thrown just as hard at a user 'making ends meet' as the dealer. Unless they see it in the same light as they do possession of small amounts of funny baccy... Trouble is I doubt they do.
I hope they don't. I've no sympathy. 3 years in a row my gran and granddad had their external heating oil tank drained by thieving gits, and it wasn't in an accessible place, and it had decent locks on it too. Got too much in the end, so they installed gas C/H instead.

The police don't care whether you have red biddy or not. Neither do HMRC, unless you use it on the road.
KP
My Cars:

Re: Would a xant td run on heating oil Hypothetically speaki

Post by KP »

The HMRC will allow you to run Veg and any waste collected fuel upto 2500litres Per Year without paying duty on it but.

TBH it would likely work as long as you laced it with a lot of two stroke every now and again or dosed something like 200mls of two stroke per tank full to lubricate the system. Veg would work the same but i would use new veg not waste veg for it.
You could use cheap engine oil as well to some extent as it works out cheaper per litre than two stroke.

The XUD's are strong and unfussy old donks. As long as they get a service every 5k and the belts done on time and a coolant change every two years they will just run on.
I've powered ones in the past on waste LHM/Engine Oil/Veg/Waste Veg/Transmisson fluid in fact anything liquid and slightly combustible went in the tank of the one that got scrapped a few years ago and it was happy to plod along and it was a V plate XUD as well :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Re:

Post by CitroJim »

Northern_Mike wrote: I've no sympathy. 3 years in a row my gran and granddad had their external heating oil tank drained by thieving gits, and it wasn't in an accessible place, and it had decent locks on it too. Got too much in the end, so they installed gas C/H instead.

The police don't care whether you have red biddy or not. Neither do HMRC, unless you use it on the road.
For that I have even less than no sympathy. This is the sort of crime the old bill should really be going all-out to crack down upon. If I had a quid for each time I've heard that the coppers just aren't interested in a crime that really affects the ordinary and vulnerable I'd be a millionaire.

I really wonder what they do sometimes apart from playing with their sirens all day. And night. heard one going at 04:30 this morning. Really? One hopes they were apprehending a criminal causing grief to ordinary people but I guess they were just out enjoying playing sirens and pretending to be coppers...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Indeed. Recently, Plod 1 devoted a few minutes to noting my statement when I was hit and run. Several weeks later Plod 2 wasted a day of my life by insisting that it was illegal to drive with a passenger seat removed (for the purpose of accident repair), and that I needed to reinstall it post-haste or be fined heavily...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Re: Would a xant td run on heating oil Hypothetically speaki

Post by Timmo »

Affternoon chaps,
appologies for dragging this one back up, but curiosity got the better of me and i got Searching the interweb for Fuel Duty, it took pretty much the best part of an hour of trawling through seemingly endless pages on gov.uk, but i did finally find out fuel duty rates! so i've screen grabbed it for info,

the numbers are reffered to as Pound Sterling/Litre (info taken from here - https://www.gov.uk/fuel-duty#rates-of-fuel-duty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
So if you were to Hypothetically put 50L of kerosene into your tank to run your car on her majesty's highways then you would have to pay the Heavy oils rate (how kerosene is classed by them) of 57.95ppl (0.5795 £ppl) which if y calculations are correct comes in at £28!
On the whole, it seams quite cheap to use at 60ppl, but thats before any vat is added?? But being typically Goveernmental, Trying to find how you would Actually go about paying the Duty is a total nightmare! And i can fully understand how people chance it as you would expect them to have a link from the duty pages to a payment portal where upon you could enter the amount you have, what fuel it is and pay accordingly!

anyways, i thought it was quite useful to know how much duty you would have to pay to use it as vehicle fuel!

on the subject of police and stop checks, around here they have had a huge crackdown on red use and illegal vehicles etc. mostly targeting the younguns that drive the 300yards from college to macdonalds, but also farm looking vehicles etc etc. quite often see some people stopped that you really wouldnt think would run the risk!! i quite like to be able to stand there and say Please by all means check it over, its to the best of my knowledge safe and legal, rather than the shiftyness of i hope he doesnt check ........ hhhahaha!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor