New MOT's from the dreaded europhobes

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gregg1100
My Cars:

New MOT's from the dreaded europhobes

Post by Gregg1100 »

I was reading about what extra items the un elected geezers in Brussells have forced on us again;

New checks
The new rules, which come into force today, include a range of new tests, including a check that the airbag is present and working, and that the speedometer is correct and can be illuminated.

The seats will have to be adjustable, and the rear doors will have to open properly from the outside. The towbar shouldn't be modified - neither should the catalytic convertor if it came with the car.

Mechanics will also check that all the warning lights are working properly, the steering lock works and that power steering fluid is topped up. Headlamps will be checked to ensure bulbs are fitted correctly, and that the headlight adjustment works.

The battery and electrical wiring will have to be property fitted and secure, the fuel pipes should be undamaged, and any 13 pin sockets will be checked.

There are a number of newer technologies that come under the test if you have them on your car. These include the electronic parking brake, electronic stability control, and tyre pressure monitoring systems.

One point that worried me a bit-in RED- was about a cat.
I removed mine nearly 5 years ago, when front pipe dropped off from rear silencer. I hope these nerds are not after wanting it back in system- cos if so, I will weigh it in

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Re: New MOT's from the dreaded europhobes

Post by c.morewood »

Maybe we could just buy one between us and swap it when MOT's are due????? :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Good idea---pity it would cost more to post between Cwmbran and Aberdeen, than probably one each, lol

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Gregg1100 wrote:I was reading about what extra items the un elected geezers in Brussells have forced on us again;

New checks
The new rules, which come into force today, include a range of new tests, including a check that the airbag is present and working, and that the speedometer is correct and can be illuminated.

The seats will have to be adjustable, and the rear doors will have to open properly from the outside. The towbar shouldn't be modified - neither should the catalytic convertor if it came with the car.

Mechanics will also check that all the warning lights are working properly, the steering lock works and that power steering fluid is topped up. Headlamps will be checked to ensure bulbs are fitted correctly, and that the headlight adjustment works.

The battery and electrical wiring will have to be property fitted and secure, the fuel pipes should be undamaged, and any 13 pin sockets will be checked.

There are a number of newer technologies that come under the test if you have them on your car. These include the electronic parking brake, electronic stability control, and tyre pressure monitoring systems.

One point that worried me a bit-in RED- was about a cat.
I removed mine nearly 5 years ago, when front pipe dropped off from rear silencer. I hope these nerds are not after wanting it back in system- cos if so, I will weigh it in
Yep, it'll fail if it should have had one and now does not.

I can't see what's wrong with any of these new regulations to be frank.

I do know of a Subaru garage that keeps a stock of catalytic converters... an MOT there costs £90 if you have a decat pipe fitted. They take your pipe off, fit a cat, take it to the MOT station, and presuming it passes, take it back to the workshop, and put your decat pipe back on for you..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gregg1100 wrote:include a range of new tests, including a check that the airbag is present and working
That should be interesting.... I wonder how they're going to test that an airbag works :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's OK Greg, I know what you mean...

On cats, that's not new. My old XM fell foul of that last year as previously it did not need a cat because it ran on LPG... I had to fit one.

I understand a decatted diesel is fine as there's no legal requirement to have a cat fitted to any diesel in the UK. I may be wrong but I fancy that was the conclusion drawn last time this topic had an outing :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Correct Jim - Cat only required where fitted and the car qualifies for a Cat emissions test - which is petrols only, so no worries on the diesel / cat thing.
Richard W
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I too was concerned about cats on diesels, as I read it as "it was fitted at the factory so you *must* have it" even though it would pass without.

Although the alternative way around that is to obtain one and empty it out and then refit it (it can be done on most without cutting them open and you can get all the insides out with a bit of time and care too, a long steel bar helps) hopefully that will not be required.

I'd imagine regarding testing SRS items, well they cannot properly test them and I doubt there would be any diagnostic done, I would guess its going to be check the warning light works as it should and where visually possible (ie look under seats if pretension fitted there not to seatbelt in side trim) to check they are connected. There's no way of knowing if they will work really apart from the obvious, even genuinely. They don't always work.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

Nothing on that list concerns me to be honest, most appears to be common sense or at least sensible checks over and above existing MOT?

regards checking Airbags etc, can this be done via the Diagnostic ports?
Pretty sure B-in-L said in France when he takes car for CT they plug into Diag ports as part of test which checks that everything is as should be referenced against OEM spec?
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
spider

Post by spider »

Maybe although a 'general purpose' OBD type tester will not do SRS systems as far as I'm aware only basic engine codes...
Andy.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think they will hit a brick wall ](*,) when it comes to testing the air bag

besides all what everyone is saying, i think most of the new rules will only be in force on cars after a certain year
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider

Post by spider »

12v to the orange wires

*bang*

Oh yes they work fine :oops:
Andy.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The air abg check is limited to the light doing what it is supposed to - same as the ABS light - and airbgs not obviously missing or inoperative - so taking a car with the airbag having gone off and missing out of the wheel would result in a fail :lol:
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

RichardW wrote:The air abg check is limited to the light doing what it is supposed to - same as the ABS light - and airbgs not obviously missing or inoperative - so taking a car with the airbag having gone off and missing out of the wheel would result in a fail :lol:
if it aint there they cant test it :shock: :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider

Post by spider »

citronut wrote:if it aint there they cant test it :shock: :-D :wink:
I thought about things like that too, but they would probably be able to tell if it was fitted originally and then fail.

I suppose one way of cheating ABS is to remove the modulator and join the pipes then you may pass as its not there at all rather than 'hidden' not sure though.

You could think of "if its not there" like rear seat belts, ie needed after 1986 (I think, or thereabouts) taking them out because one was faulty would result in a fail as they are awol.

The delay wiring would get around the warning lights although not really advisable other than a quick emergency, and only works on non plexed too.
Andy.

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Called in to local MOT place today and the usual tester said that the no cat pipe is ok- so a happy bunny here, lol.