Preventing wash fluid from freezing

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Preventing wash fluid from freezing

Post by spider »

Apart from the usual of a stronger concentration that is.

Thing is I recall in 2010 buying a 'concentrated' bottle and left it in a cupboard in my shed unopened, I found during the harsh winter said concentrate had frozen solid. :D despite still being in its bottle in the shed, perhaps the shop had watered it down :twisted:

The location of the washer bottle probably is not brilliant given most are around the front bumper area. I've seen these 'heaters' where you have a twisted coil of washer pipe around a heater hose* which may work in a fashion, the same as heated jets I guess but the bottle will still freeze.

Question: Is adding a touch of 'Meths to the washer fluid a good idea still ? , I know that has a really low freezing point and should in theory mix in and not separate.

*I looked into these for my 205TD as a fuel heater but the plastic nature of the 'twist' would not of been brilliant with diesel inside.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
handyman
My Cars:

Re: Preventing wash fluid from freezing

Post by handyman »

I make my own screenwash liquid using ordinary washing up liquid and about 10% meths. Done it for years and never had problems with it freezing. If it looks like its getting really cold you can always add more meths to the mix, along with a cherry and an olive. :twisted: [-X . It sure do move the crap off the screens and hasn't damaged any paintwork yet. =D> 8-[ All caveats apply! 8-[ [-X

H
spider

Post by spider »

Interesting.

I've always been put of the thought of washing up liquid (I have used it in the dim and distant past) apart from the bubbles the salt content (I think) is not good for paint but you've said no problems... :)
Andy.

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Spider, when they chuck so much sh.. salt on the roads, the little that might be in a Fairy would be the least of your worries. :-D

H
spider

Post by spider »

handyman wrote:Spider, when they chuck so much sh.. salt on the roads, the little that might be in a Fairy would be the least of your worries. :-D

H
:D Well that's true I suppose.

May tip a bit of meths in with regular screenwash to see if it prevents freezing.
Andy.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

spider wrote:Interesting.

I've always been put of the thought of washing up liquid (I have used it in the dim and distant past) apart from the bubbles the salt content (I think) is not good for paint but you've said no problems... :)
I always put a little washing up liquid in it. The amount of salt in it is negligible anyway compared to what goes on the roads.

When I defrost cars using the "hand-hot water in a 2 litre milk container" method, I always put a good squeeze of WUL in there too to stop it refreezing..

(I don't want a debate on the merits/dangers of using this method to defrost a car, not again, I'm just saying that I put WUL in it and it stops freezing)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Northern_Mike wrote:
spider wrote:Interesting.

I always put a little washing up liquid in it. The amount of salt in it is negligible anyway compared to what goes on the roads.

When I defrost cars using the "hand-hot water in a 2 litre milk container" method, I always put a good squeeze of WUL in there too to stop it refreezing..

(I don't want a debate on the merits/dangers of using this method to defrost a car, not again, I'm just saying that I put WUL in it and it stops freezing)
Sounds worth a try.