Lidl and Aldi Car accessories

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmy69
My Cars:

Re: Lidl and Aldi Car accessories

Post by Timmy69 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Just seen the weather forecast, and it looks like there may be snow this week. I wish I had had snow chains when Basingstoke made the news a few years ago. I was there, left the client at 15:15, got home at 00:15, and I live in Reading, 27 miles away.
I really shud listen to you guys..the snow is really piling up outside.."Is that the line from a song"
Anyway Razor you were right mate,i was wrong :(

Timmy
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Just seen the weather forecast, and it looks like there may be snow this week. I wish I had had snow chains when Basingstoke made the news a few years ago. I was there, left the client at 15:15, got home at 00:15, and I live in Reading, 27 miles away.
This would be in Jan 2010 I think. That fateful day took me 8 hours to get the thirteen miles home from Slough to Twyford.
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:To those who managed to get snow chains, well done. Fun, aren't they? I'm not sure which brought the bigger smile to my face, getting up slopes that had others stumped, or watching BMWs or Mercs wallowing behind me as they tried to follow!
I'm slightly annoyed, as I bought some snow chains for £5 on eBay a few months ago, and with a bit of a knee injury at the moment I hadn't yet got around to practising fitting them

I suppose I could roll the car back on the driveway a bit and use the bare patch, just in case I need them a bit later, but maybe I'll just study the instructions again
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If the chains you have got are like the ones Lidl were selling, they aren't difficult to fit. Just make sure they are not twisted, as if they are they may not go on properly, or could pop off whilst driving (which happened to me). I made certain while re-fitting the chain to clear the twist and didn't have any more problems.

It took me nearly 4 hours to get from Oxford to Reading yesterday. The problem wasn't my lack of grip, but everybody else who couldn't move. A copper in an off-roader told me I was the first person he had seen who was properly prepared. When I asked him about driving on tarmac, he responded that if I was able to keep moving he didn't give a bl00dy stuff!

The grip on the chains is incredible. On compacted snow I could move off without any wheel spin, and turn without slipping. They are a worthwhile investment. I've had mine for over a year, and yesterday was the first time they got used.

Those of us with adjustable Citroens will find it easier to fit the chains.

I wouldn't leave the chains on overnight, in case any f***ing toe-rag decided they wanted them more then I did.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 20 Jan 2013, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

From what I remember, its illegal to drive on tarmac with snow chains fitted and they should only be used on compacted snow. They used to play havoc with the tyres, with cuts and wear to the sidewalls, not sure about the new types as I've yet to try out mine.

Will be looking to invest in a set of snow socks, for the car, not me, dummy! :roll:

H
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I won't disagree with the damage to the tyres, but a lamp post would cause a lot more damage when you hit it after skidding. As I said on my previous post, a copper said when I asked about driving on tarmac "as long as they keep you moving I don't give a bl00dy stuff!" :-D . He was quietly impressed that I had snow chains "you are the first person I have seen who is ready for the conditions".

I did see an Alfa with snow socks, but as they were going the other way I couldn't say how good they were. I noticed that the driver had to jack the car up to put them on. I didn't have to do so to put the chains on. I did, however, leave a twist in the NS chain, which allowed it to pop off after a couple of miles #-o . Getting it right second time around stopped it happening again.

You can get snow chains (sort of) for your feet. I have a set of the following, and they do work;

http://www.wookyungtech.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got some for my mother last winter, and she feels that they probably stopped her from slipping into the canal.

Asda do something similar (but they had sold out at my local branch).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello again all,

Lidl are doing some more car parts;

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... date=38502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No H1 bulbs, but I will try to call in, and if they have any (in Reading) I will update this post.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Sean602
Location: Roslin -yes the one with the chapel in Dan Browns book.
My Cars:

Post by Sean602 »

Those fire extinguishers are good value there is one in every car here plus a one in the kitchen. Aluminium body and a decent volume unlike those small hairspray sized ones you get
kissing the lash
white van (turbo, computer and built by Citroen, what could possibly go wrong!)
orange 2cv
blue 2cv( been to the Sahara and back)
red Dyane( in bits)
Skoda (thank goodness there is a teutonic vehicle on the drive)
Stainless Siemens fridge freezer
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Went to my local Lidl over here, picked up a fire extinguisher, some axle stands, and the oil filter wrench.

The battery tester is tiny, and I guess for £2.99 you get what you pay for really, the axle stands were a lot smaller than I thought they'd be.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Don't worry about the size of the axle stands. Assuming they are like the ones I got from Lidl about a year ago, they have a secure tripod base, and they do extend up quite high. I have got under Gracie using them, and I'm not what you would call thin. They are rated for 2 tonnes, which should be enough for your needs.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Don't worry about the size of the axle stands. Assuming they are like the ones I got from Lidl about a year ago, they have a secure tripod base, and they do extend up quite high. I have got under Gracie using them, and I'm not what you would call thin. They are rated for 2 tonnes, which should be enough for your needs.
Yeah I wasn't concerned, noticed before that someone here had done quite a bit of research into them, was just surprised at the size of the box :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I'm glad they are rather small, as I do not have anywhere to store the car tools, so they are in the boot. Large tools cause me problems.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I'm glad they are rather small, as I do not have anywhere to store the car tools, so they are in the boot. Large tools cause me problems.
oh me too. I now have a big box of various tools in the boot. Luckily the ramps I store behind the car in the garage, until we stop renting the garage for the warmer months.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: Large tools cause me problems.
water to the eyes :twisted: :shock: :roll: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I called into 3 branches of Lidl today, and I regret that none of them had H1 lights. However, the branch in the center of Reading (near the Reading West railway bridge) had some trolley jacks, while the one on Cowley, Oxford still had a lot of sets of snow chains (VERY much to my surprise!).

Aldi next Thursday are doing various car accessories;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/of ... sday13.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+