Divorce and Valuations!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Divorce and Valuations!

Post by ecohouse1 »

Currently going through the delights of legal process for a divorce and I need to provide valuations for my cars (most of which are both old and sorn'd)
eg sorned and needing work Renault Clio M plate (94) a rough 1981 and 1987 2CV plus a sorned & needing work 1992 Merc 190

It would be valuations as of July 2010.

Solicitor was not sure of the validity of We Buy Any Car which would be great if were accepted because the figures would be awful which suits me!!!

Anyone been in this situation and could suggest a good way to get backdated valuations, preferrably as low as poss!

Other option would be to get a quote for scrap value from a breaker?

Cheers

Alan
Northern_Mike

Re: Divorce and Valuations!

Post by Northern_Mike »

In my divorce back in 2004 they took trade valuations for my car. At the time I had a 1984 Saab 900. It was worth 200 apparently. I expect they'd take trade valuations for yours which would mean essentially scrap value.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear the reason for wanting the valuations Alan. It is a nasty old business and best of luck for the best outcome possible.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

So long as the valuations are done on letterhead by an appropriately accredited valuer, are presented in a plausible manner and reference why the cars are at or below blue book value, shouldn't be a problem. As an added measure in a similarly critical situation, I used a known "heavyweight" valuer. Cost (about £450) reflected time charges and pro rata fees.
blackbeard
My Cars:

Post by blackbeard »

A copy of an old copy of 'Glass's Guide' (the UK's main trade valuation book) would be legally acceptable as it is used by all major insurance assessors / companies as a starting point for valuations. Failing that, a copy of any reputable 'non-trade' price guide such as 'Parkers' would be the place to start. Some libraries keep copies of the later, most dealers will have an old copy of the former in a dusty corner somewhere. Failing that you may be able to grab an old issue of either on eBay.

Failing any of the above a Solicitor worth his/her salt would be able to get the other party to accept a 'reasonable estimate' - due to the nature of the items and their relative low value.
Current French machine:
2002 Citroen C5 2.0 16v Automatic (petrol)

Previous French machines (all auction finds):
2000 Citroen Xantia 1.8 16v (petrol)
1999 Peugeot 206 'Roland-Garos'
1998 Renault Laguna 1.8 8v (petrol)
1992 Renault 21 2.0 8v (petrol saloon)