R9UKE's French Car Blog...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

R9UKE

Re: R9UKE's French Car Blog...

Post by R9UKE »

Yup! This one starts and drives though!!
French is best.
KP

Post by KP »

Is this under its own steam without a booster pack or Renault towing it ;)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh well, at least it has a proper engine in it :wink: :-D

I thought it was a converted 306 at first :roll: I know they exist and I bet they're a bit of a hoot....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

I've seen a few of those 306s Jim. I'd like to try one!

No, this one is perfectly drivable. In fact, it's an absolute cracker! The photograph was taken while I was working on the battery terminal, which was a bit of an issue. The positive has the stupid screw on connector, for which half the adaptor on the terminal of the battery has disintegrated. I've bought a regular terminal connection today and I think I may have just about enough wiring to crimp and fit. Will attempt it tomorrow!

Other than that just a few little jobs to attend to. ABS light is on, quelle surprise! I think one of the front springs may be broken judging by the knocking this afternoon, didn't get time to investigate. Also the outside temperature indicator isn't reading - does anybody know how big of a job it is on the 406? If it's the same as Renault, the automatic climate control works off knowing the exterior temperature, so I'd like to get that sorted.
French is best.
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

I've seen pics of a Zx16v which had a V6 fitted , it was later transplanted into a pug 206 ( crackpot )

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bxzx16v wrote:transplanted into a pug 206 ( crackpot )
Utterly bonkers :roll:

It may be an apocryphal tale but there's rumours of the V6 going into a 106 :shock:

Franklin knows, I believe, of a attempt to put one in a Visa...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

That is a very nice model of 406 Luke, is it manual? I hope so!
CitroJim wrote:
It may be an apocryphal tale but there's rumours of the V6 going into a 106 :shock:
No doubt insured as a 1.1 :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
KP

Post by KP »

Nah it would be insured as the 900cc variety surely or a 1.5d ;)
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

It's an automatic estate, Chris - with a tow bar! I finally have a V6 that can be put to practical use :)

Spent the day with it today. First job was rewiring the positive terminal. There wasn't a millimetre of wire to spare, but it's doing the job until I get time to extend it. The exhaust is in a pretty bad way, a new back box and a few repairs are required. The front suspension spring is broken, new one being fitted on Saturday morning.

On the plus side, the trip computer and exterior temperature reading have sprung into life. The automatic wipers work brilliantly (that first sensor they fitted was definitely the best), the cruise control and headlight washers work and the sound system is superb. The seats are even more comfortable than the Vel Satis, despite the heat not working :(

Phoning around for parts today was great fun. "A 3 litre 406 Estate?? Are you sure it's not a Coupé???"

Pictures to follow at the weekend. I have an exam tomorrow which I really should have been revising for today. #-o
French is best.
KP

Post by KP »

Iirc the heater pads/sheets can be ordered as a separate part on some models or go after market :)
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

Ah good to know :)
French is best.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

R9UKE wrote:It's an automatic estate, Chris - with a tow bar! I finally have a V6 that can be put to practical use :)
Excellent, will it be towing poorly Renaults to your heaven in a field?

Will this be a daily driver for a while then Luke?

Best of luck with your exam :) I had one yesterday which I thought was going to go badly but it was much better than expected :)

Looking forward to the pictures!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

Thanks Chris, the exam went well! One more and a dissertation to go now :(

Time for an update now. The 406 is settling in well, the aim is to MOT it and have it ready to work whenever needed. Check out the spring that was replaced this morning.

Elsewhere, something, dare I say it....economical has joined the family.

A 1996 Renault Clio 1.9 RT-D, now wearing Baccara alloy wheels. A real gem of a little car which was a bargain with the amount of tax and test it has. There's a slight performance dip from the V6s but it really is quite a novelty not seeing the fuel gauge move with every small journey. The cold starts in the morning are also quite the contrast to a petrol V6.

The sunroof, surprise surprise, gave way to a Niagra Falls like feature last night and drenched the remote locking receiver in the process, which has since failed to work. Hopefully it'll dry out and work when refitted after I seal the sunroof tomorrow :x

I had my first spring snapping experience with the Mégane Convertible. Started it up, reversed back and the noise of the tyre being taken out had me thinking the auto box had met its grizzly end. Opened the door and looked under the car expecting to see ATF and cogs everywhere. Thankfully just another tedious job for the never ending to do list.

Elsewhere very little to report. The black 2.0 16v Mégane is taking the daily grind in its stride and crossed 47k miles last week. Got my private plate transferred off the blue Meg onto this, so it's very official.

Roll on summer, when I can start actually maintaining everything, as opposed to careless hoarding :oops:

French is best.
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Quite a collection there now Luke , I see the C5 is still lurking :?

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

Still lurking, not running! Motivation is zero when the weather is so, it'll see life before 2013 is out :D
French is best.