classic car ban

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

classic car ban

Post by citronut »

told you Kev ( red_dwarfers )

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... Paris.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is till you get you GSA welded and on the road to stop you being led astray by Mr Salter :roll: :twisted: :shock: :-D :wink: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: classic car ban

Post by myglaren »

Can't see the French taking that lying down!
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I cant see it happening at all, its just someone has mention this flea brained idea and its hit the news like it does, besides if it does become law the french people will do what they do with most laws they dont like, ignor it.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Oh but siiirrrr, pleeeeeaaseeee! :(

What a load of nonsense! I'm sure there's more sensible ways of reducing pollution without getting rid of the odd old car passing through.

Looks like we might have to have the 100th anniversary of Citroen just outside the capital :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

I think its a sensible idea, why take a valuable classic bagnole dans la centre d'Paris?

Have you seen the way the fekin' Parisians drive! :shock: :shock: 8-[ [-o< [-o< I'm not usually intimidated on foreign roads but Paris and le Peripherique does my head in. :yikes: :yikes:

H
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Thing is, as far as I understand it 90% of the pollution is caused at production not use so its more sensible to keep an older car where practical as the emissions over its lifetime (even if that's extended) are less damaging to the environment than production of a new vehicle... :-k
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think more pollution is caused by blotted blitacrats poutting hot air,

so if they stop all this hot air escaping from house's of commons and french equivalent, this should reduce more polutant than stoping older cars going into the capital citys
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider

Post by spider »

citronut wrote:i think more pollution is caused by blotted blitacrats poutting hot air,

so if they stop all this hot air escaping from house's of commons and french equivalent, this should reduce more polutant than stoping older cars going into the capital citys
Could not of put it better myself =D>
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The amount of pollution from the very few older cars knocking around Paris must be infinitesimal when taken overall. A quick look (and smell) in any town suggests that buses produce far more. They stink and belch smoke like no car ever does. Or, at least the ones around here do. Shocking things. And that's just exhaust pollution; the horrid, ear battering noise their turbo diesel engines make is another form of pollution we can do without...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

Oh I know. Some say "low pollution" on them but occasionally I've seen that much smoke coming out it was almost like a solid "tube" as if it was too busy having a drink of its own oil. :D

Incidentally does anyone know if modern PSV / HGV's feature direct injection units now or are they sticking to IDI ?
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm not sure Andy. I presume they're all DI now judging by the noise and smoke. IDI was originally used by AEC to combat both those issues on London buses. Seems the later engines have forgotten how to... Makes a joke of the London low-emission zones. Lorries don't in general smoke and make objectionable noises so why should a bus?

We've a fleet of Arriva Optare buses running around here and they are hideously noisy. They're automatics (I suspect CVT) and their engines rev to max when they take off from a bus stop or negotiate a speed hump. The howl from the turbo and the general mechanical din they make - along with clouds of foul smoke - has to be seen and heard to believed. Green? Black more like :evil:

I guess if you're deaf and have no sense of smell they're OK :roll: I've never ridden one as they never go where I want to go and you need a first class honours degree in statistical mathematics to have any hope of deciphering the timetables :( :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:I'm not sure Andy. I presume they're all DI now judging by the noise and smoke. IDI was originally used by AEC to combat both those issues on London buses. Seems the later engines have forgotten how to... Makes a joke of the London low-emission zones. Lorries don't in general smoke and make objectionable noises so why should a bus?

We've a fleet of Arriva Optare buses running around here and they are hideously noisy. They're automatics (I suspect CVT) and their engines rev to max when they take off from a bus stop or negotiate a speed hump. The howl from the turbo and the general mechanical din they make - along with clouds of foul smoke - has to be seen and heard to believed. Green? Black more like :evil:

I guess if you're deaf and have no sense of smell they're OK :roll: I've never ridden one as they never go where I want to go and you need a first class honours degree in statistical mathematics to have any hope of deciphering the timetables :( :roll:
Many of them are going to be replaced soon with electric busses as a trial.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Many of them are going to be replaced soon with electric busses as a trial.
Yea, and I'm a pink fairy...

I'll bet if they do ever get round to getting electric buses they'll still smoke and make a hideous racket...

I was amazed at just how noisy a Nissan Leaf is. One went past me this evening - I was walking...
Jim

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Yes, but, Jim, the noise is simulated, so that you can hear them coming! :shock: Bit like a digital camera with shutter noise. Who thought up that feking idea? :roll:

Jim, did you get my PM about V6 wiring diags and cooling fans?

H
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Can you choose the noise? A nice V8 sound would be nice but a bit out of keeping with a leaf... I'd have thought a nice fluttering noise would have suited it...
handyman wrote: Jim, did you get my PM about V6 wiring diags and cooling fans?
Yep, just seen it. I can be terribly bad for not looking at PMs very frequently these days and I've been away from here by and large for a few days...

I'll see what I can do... It may not be instant.
Jim