Lidl and Aldi Car accessories

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Lidl and Aldi Car accessories

Post by Xaccers »

Diabolical wrote:Just bought car stereo from Aldi, does every thing and 50 quid, well happy. Missed Pumpkin ale tho :-(
Saw that when I went in today to pick up some bleach, looked quite good spec too. Also picked up a boot tidy for £3.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello again,

Lidl are going to do some winter car kit.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/SID- ... date=35766" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Lidl are now doing the folding axle stands for £8.99 a pair; they look OK, have a minimum height of 275mm so they should go under the jacking points on HIGH, and the feet have flat pads so they don't dig holes in tarmac. Trolley jacks still available for £19.99 in our local store.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Err, I'd never trust a folding axle stand under a hydraulic Citroen...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Passing our local Lidl this morning, I stopped off and bought a pair of axle stands (folding) and a £20 trolley jack (3-year warranty).

I quickly tried out the Lidl axle stands - they might have been designed for Xantias; with the suspension on HIGH, a stand on its lowest (of 3) positions just fits under the jacking points, andh the stand's 'pad' fits between the jacking point stops - all that's needed is a strip of rubber mat to save the paint. Each leg even has a flat pad welded to it so it doesn't sink into tarmac. The pair come in a stout cardboard box about 10" x 4" x 4" - so much easier to store!

The stands are a little crudely made, but even in the unlikely case of the legs bending upwards there still a pair of stout tubes, one inside the other, taking the weight vertically. I would be surprised if Lidl hadn't had their own destructive test done before stocking this product. That said, if I'm going to be crawling under the car it will be supported on my trusty 2T Melco stands (nearly 40 years-old) simply because their larger size makes them more stable.
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Tell you what Guy, for the odd job those stands sound good for the price. I'm pleased to see there are some safeguards there.

That jack sounds good though. I've just used one of my jacks, a Halfrauds one I bought when I was a very young person (i.e a long time ago :roll: ) and found it would not go very high due to low oil and needs a lot of topping up due to a leaky ram. Perhaps now is the time to honourably retire it and get one of those Lidl specials.

Just got to find my nearest Lidl store now.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:Tell you what Guy, for the odd job those stands sound good for the price. I'm pleased to see there are some safeguards there.

That jack sounds good though. I've just used one of my jacks, a Halfrauds one I bought when I was a very young person (i.e a long time ago :roll: ) and found it would not go very high due to low oil and needs a lot of topping up due to a leaky ram. Perhaps now is the time to honourably retire it and get one of those Lidl specials.

Just got to find my nearest Lidl store now.
By the Sikh temple/Maplins

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: By the Sikh temple/Maplins
Ahh, the estate opposite where Homebase and PC World is then. Gosh, that's a rough old area. I'd better take a big dog with me...
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote: By the Sikh temple/Maplins
Ahh, the estate opposite where Homebase and PC World is then. Gosh, that's a rough old area. I'd better take a big dog with me...
Nah,it's close enough to the Temple to be safe, as long as the EDF haven't mistaken it for a Mosque and started waving plackards complaining about "Muslamic ray guns" again.

Went to the cinema last night to watch Hotel Transylvania which was very funny, and afterwards while looking at the pamflets in the Xscape centre, Danielle found one suggesting Bury Park in Luton was a must see place to visit and go shopping :shock:

DIY sphere tool
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

CitroJim wrote: I've just used one of my jacks, a Halfrauds one I bought when I was a very young person (i.e a long time ago :roll: ) and found it would not go very high due to low oil and needs a lot of topping up due to a leaky ram. Perhaps now is the time to honourably retire it and get one of those Lidl specials
Exactly what happened to my last trolley jack some years ago - since when I've been able to use a proper workshop with lifts, BIG trolley jacks and stands, air tools and free advice (wanted or not!) :-D
This isn't going to be available for a lot longer, so I'm insuring against the future. Hopefully, by the time I'm too decrepit to fix the car, one or other of the grandsons will be a teenager keen to learn about cars!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello again,

Aldi next Sunday (4th Nov) are doing some winter car gear.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/oo ... z_src=main" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shame they're not doing H1 light bulbs.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _27439.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bugger! the head light bulbs don't have H1's. I need to buy some, hope if they do the same deal over here they'll include H1's.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I can recommend the screen wash.. I use it undiluted in the winter and then gradually dlute it from March onwards just adding water till Nov.
I can still clean the windscreen at -25C with it!!
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Sam KS
My Cars:

Post by Sam KS »

c.morewood wrote:....I can still clean the windscreen at -25C with it!!
:eek1: Brrrrrrr.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
smokescreen
My Cars: C3 1.6 HDi VTR

Post by smokescreen »

Thanks for the heads-up - just back from buying some H7s for my C3, only £3.99 a pair. I paid £5.94 for 1 from a Motor Factors at the beginning of the week!!