Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroenmad

Re: Citroenmads Citroën blog.

Post by Citroenmad »

Well, we had a very enjoyable week in Wales-ish, despite the pretty awful weather! :lol:

The Xm went well, Ive totted up the distances ive done since getting it and it comes to 1500 miles within the two weeks I've had it. That is pretty good going really and its roughly the same as the cars annual mileage for the past 8 years. :shock: In the last 1200 miles since Saturday, its averaged 26.1mpg according to the trip computer. That seems about right to me, I don't hang about that much and I would expect about 30 from a Turbo auto. As most of that mileage was on LPG, which returns slightly less, its to be expected. Thats not as bad as it sounds, as autogas is about 70p a litre, so it gives running costs similar to a diesel. It did develop a quirk or two, in the pretty torrential rain the sunroof was leaking into the front interior light and on each corner it would drip in. However Kev fixed this by putting some tissues behind the light fitting :lol: Ill have to look at that and see why its leaking.

The trip to Anglesey to see Paul was very good, we had a look around his fleet and his stash of bits and pieces. Thanks again for the bits Paul, it'll help my XM onto the way to being a better car. I fitted the sidelight yesterday (well in truth, davetherave did) which looks much better than the old white one. I also fitted the replacement keypad code, due to it original having very worn buttons. However the fuel pump relay was clicking constantly after this, I didn't think the keypad would have caused this, so a bit of head scratching went on. However, I changed back to the old keypad and it stopped, so I swapped the good buttons to the old pad, job done! Ill get the other bits fitted in good time.

The weather was pretty wet all week, Friday going to and from Anglesey was good fun, any more water and we would have needed a boat! No joke either, looking at yesterdays news of the flooding in that area, with the amount of water we saw running off the hills it was bound to happen. Still, I enjoyed the short blast around the 'Evo triangle' and the Xm comped well with the wet corners :lol: A video might even appear at some point! :lol: I have never bought 'budget' tyres before, however the Matadors I got for the XM have proved their worth. Wet cornering grip is very good, I didn't have any problems even when pushing on a little. In the torrential rain on the way home this evening there could not have been any more water on the surface, but it was straight and true without any issues. Impressive.

I have found that the cheap boomy back box on the exhaust is almost unheard above 80mph, at 70 its quite a drone. No doubt that the lack of any real baffles in the exhaust is not helping with economy, so that will need replacing pretty soon. I also need to source a good pair of strut tops for it, a few people commented on the NS one looking a bit iffy, I have seen worse ones! It is strating to go so it will be swapped out when i find some replacements.

Im very pleased with the XM, which is a bit annoying as now I need to rethink my 3 cars. I don't want three cars, its too much upkeep and I like things to be just so with them all. Its too much expense as I like them road going (taxed, MOT'd, insured, serviced etc) at all times as I dont want cars just sat about, I might as well not have them. Space is also beyond tight now, so something needs to go. This does create a problem though, which one or ones do I sell?

If I sold the Xantia the XM would not fit where that parks, so it doesn't solve the space issue. However it would be one less car to keep, afford and maintain, though I don't think im ready to give up the Activa just yet. Its in better condition than the XM, at the moment, its great fun to drive and its a very appealing car to me. Sure XMs dont handle too badly for such a big thing, however an Activa they are not, they are very different cars for very different purposes. I enjoy a good bit of quick driving and so the Activa suits me down to the ground, as it can be really pressed along but also be a quiet cruiser with a bit of space. I am considering that the Xantia needs to find a new home, though I would rather not as I know I will regret it, its at the back of my mind for now.

Or do I sel the C5 and get something smaller to use everyday. I don't need a big car every day, running around town, going to work or even my uni commute, its usually only me or me and a passenger in the car. I would have the XM for big car duties and long motorway trips. This would also relieve the parking problems as the XM would fit where my C5 parks .... I also fancy a change from C5s and something smaller would be ideal. Something small, stupidly good on fuel and costs barely anything to tax would be great, as it would make having three cars slightly more possible, financially. Or I would also like a sporty little car, something really fun to drive at lower speeds and something a bit different to what I have had in the past.

Or sell the XM, which would be a real shame and im really starting to like it, its a nice car and is only going to get better. I also prefer XMs to Xantias. Despite its reasonable fueling costs I wouldn't like to have it as my daily driver, for a few very good reasons. I want to get it in good condition and keep it that way, whcih means using it more sparingly than a daily driver, keeping it out of the way of the winter salt and keeping its mileage and wear down. Safety is another thing, its got no airbags and so on. I also think that having it as a daily would wear the enjoyment off the car, having it to go to every week or few weeks would be much better and remind me why I like it. Parts are another thing, getting some XM bits are getting harder and doing 20K a year in the XM is only going to make that more of a problem. So it must stay as a hobby car to enjoy, though I don't mind using it for long trips etc.

Ah well, does anyone want to buy an Activa, XM or C5? :lol:

It has been a very good week, good location, good company, plenty of things to do and see, the Xm went excellently and the DSM rally finished the week off nicely. :)

Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
andmcit

Post by andmcit »

From reading the above it seems you've answered your own question by admitting you don't need the
C5 for daily use and enjoy the ownership experience with both the Activa and black Xm. A commuting
runs on fresh air citybox with a but of flair as a supplement to these is implied in your appraisal of the
C5 (and no, I'm not saying all this because I've never taken to the C5 and regularly jest about them to you...
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
daviemck2006
Donor 2024

Post by daviemck2006 »

You know what to do, sell the c5 and get your own c1 or 107. I still miss the c5 for long distance cruising and comfort, but the 107 is so much more fun as a daily, and just taxed it £20, mot £40 and insured it £125. Due a service in less than 1000 miles, that will cost about £40 max and thats it sorted for another 10000 miles, take about 4 months with my 90 miles a day at 60 plus mpg. You have the xm for distance and the xantia for a hobby, sorted.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen dispatch 2014
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I think your both right and that is the way im leaning at the moment. If I want to keep the XM and the Activa then its probably the best idea to downsize the C5. Which I would like as a small car is much easier to store here, cheaper to run and it would have to be something fairly fun to drive. Ive not used my C5 for almost 3 weeks and I have not missed it, I'm going to use it today so ill see.

Im not sure on what small car it would be yet Davie, a C1 would be a very sensible choice, I do really like them and they do cost peanuts to keep. Quite fun to drive too and they have a good driving position for me. There are a few cars I have in mind, so ill need to have a better look into those.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote:I think your both right and that is the way im leaning at the moment. If I want to keep the XM and the Activa then its probably the best idea to downsize the C5.
Absolute sense Chris. That's what I'd do... And I'd bin the C1 and use the 2CV for when you want a little fun car...

There you are, sorted :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

C3 or C4 diesel Chris?
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
ragger

Post by ragger »

There's a pretty fit BX turbo diesel at Lanchester that I nearly bought for myself the other day. It's tatty to look at but the usual welding repairs have been done along with major mechanical refurbishment. Went really well too. And costing not much.

Rob
Regards

Rob

C4 Exclusive - For Sale!
Xantia V6 Exclusive (the Beast!)
C1 Feel (it might be new but it is very practical for local zipping about)
C5 Estate
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

CitroJim wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:I think your both right and that is the way im leaning at the moment. If I want to keep the XM and the Activa then its probably the best idea to downsize the C5.
Absolute sense Chris. That's what I'd do... And I'd bin the C1 and use the 2CV for when you want a little fun car...

There you are, sorted :-D
I do like the C1 you know Jim, its a great little car and is fun to drive. Its ride has got a lot more supple in its 10K miles and it costs peanuts to run too. We all like it so much its often hard to get to use it! As I said yesterday, Ive not driven anything which is more fun than a 2cv, but it wouldn't suit my daily driving :lol: Its fantastic for pottering around in and Im often about town in it.

I had thought of a C3 diesel Robert, however the one I drove didn't impress me that much. It was too cramped for me and the noise of the engine was more noticeable than I would want. Build quality I also found very low rent, we set out to buy a C3 but found the C1 was quieter, had more space for passengers (you wouldn't think it, but I easily fit in the back of one and have more room as a driver too) and its much better quality inside. C4s im also dissapinted with the interior quality of, it would also be a 1.6HDi and unless it had been serviced more frequently than recommended, I would not be interested. Its also still 'plexed and so on, I want a more simple car ideally.

So im still thinking what I might replace the C5 with. One idea has been a C1, as I know what they are like and they are very reliable. There are a few non Citroen and non French cars im considering, I need to have a better look into some of them.

Im sure a BX would be pretty cheap to keep, however I would like something a bit more modern for my miles. The thought of very low road tax and easy maintenance is what is appealing. Having the XM and Activa will occuply my time enough, im sure :lol:

I did intend on using the C5 today, however the XM was too tempting, so I used that again. I have fitted the replacement rear boot trim/reversing light lens today, which has replaced the holed one. I also put on a single spoke steering wheel, as earier XMs had. It suits the interior much better in my opinion and does not cover up the buttons which sit behind the steering wheel with the original two spoke fitted. The only trouble is its not leather, leather single spokes are very rare, however it is quite badly worn this one and so I'm going to try and source one in better condition.

Im not sure what to do with the tow bar, it would be handy as I have a towbar mounting bike rack, however it looks awful and is quite rusty. I might well get it sand blasted and painted or just remove it, I think removing it would be the better option.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

Hi Chris,

Look out for some of the more subtle towbars. I have had 2 Xms recently with detachable swan neck towbars.

I think the C4 is a grand wee car, the interior quality isn't top of the league, but its acceptable.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
andmcit

Post by andmcit »

I'd leave that towbar on as it will help protect the car and is always handy to have!
PLUS that's a pukka Cit towbar that hasn't seen the need for the bumper to be buchered up
- some even run along the outside of the rear bumper covering the lower apron.

So how much are these fabled leather single spokers in mint condition worth then?
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

The last one went for abbout £100 on ebay didn tit? does someone havea stash?.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

UNFORTUNALLY thats not a Single spoke Leather wheel I sold Chris, its a standard.

Ive got one more single spoke wheel, but I think it will be spoken for. The only single spoke wheel I have is on my 24v Manual, and its stopping there.. :wink:

There could very well be one more single spoke in the shed, but - well finding it.. Ask Chris! He'll tell you.

Nice work Chris, comming along nicely! :mrgreen:
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
andmcit

Post by andmcit »

Yes! Several SEi's being weighed in shortly...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

PLEASE PLEASE keep my an SEi or Si andrew!! :?
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Andrew if you have a leather single spoker and some mk1 leather door cards in good nick pm me and we will talk further!

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............