Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroenmad

Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by Citroenmad »

Well I thought its about time I should start a blog on here, and given that club-xm is down i have nowhere to put my updates either :roll:

So a bit about me, im 21 and have always been a huge Citroen enthusiast, having been brought up on a whole host of Citroen models, my parents have always had a good number of Citroens, ranging from 2CVs, to Cxs, Bxs, Xantias, xms etc and even an Activa too, they are all i have ever known.

My first car was an Ax, perfect little car but it was a bit unsafe and getting quite unreliable. So for my next two cars i went away from Citroen and drove two Seats, one after the other. This was mainly because nothing small enough for me to insure took my fancy in the Citroen range. However now insurance is better i thought a change back to Citroen would be great and bought a C5, from bencowel on here. It’s a 2002 52 C5 2.0Hdi 110 SX hatch.

I always attend Citroen events with my dad, and now im a Citroen owner i feel more apart of the club. However I have always used our other Citroens, if I didn’t they would only get very very occasional use indeed! They are there to be used I say. So nope not all mine, although i do drive them all and help keep them going and looked after. My dad isn’t into forums, but enjoys reading what I write on them!

So then, a little about the cars in our household now …

Some of you might have seen one or two of my dads cars at Citroen events, so the first is a RHD 1955 Citroen Traction 6H, which my dad has had for over 28 years now. Its very rare being one of only 74 RHD cars ever converted by Citroen to have hydropneumatic rear suspension, as a test bed for the DS. Our car was used as a road research car for the early part of its life. It was equipped with a water tank mounted on the roof and a fifth wheel in the middle of the car. This wheel could be raised and lowered using a tap from the hydraulic rear suspension. Water could be sprayed in front of the fifth wheel from the above water tank and brakes applied to the wheel to test the skid resistance of road surfaces. The first picture below shows our car in its working life.

Its now fully restored and back to a normal car, without the fifth wheel, water tank etc. Unfortunately it ran No6 big end bearing almost 3 years ago and its still waiting to be put back together. Parts have been sourced and we are on the way with it but not done yet. Hopefully it will be in time for the summer season.

Next is a 1995 Citroen C15D 6 Wheeler. Which is the only RHD 6 wheeler C15 made by Citroen. My dad ordered it new in 1995 from a french Citroen dealer, the conversion was done by a company for Citroen, which was called Chauson Leotard. They made 101 6 wheel C15s. The last one is ours and the only RDH version. It has the rear seat option with seat belts for three in the rear, with side opening door and optional power steering.

Thats quite a rare thing, and certainly gets some odd looks. Its done 107K miles, but now gets very little use and is kept in as good condition as possible. We had it at last years classic car show, on the Citroen stand if anyone saw it?

We also have two Xms, one we have owned for over 7 years, its a 1996 2.0 16v SX XM Auto in white. It has only done 22K miles in the time we have had it, giving it a total mileage of 86K miles. Its a hobby car for nice weekend days, rather than an everyday car. In my opinion its the best colour for the S2 Xm, it also gets quite a lot of admiring views. Its quite possibly the most reliable car we have ever owned, even though it can often sits for a month in between use it starts every time with just on turn of the key, never used a drop of oil or coolant, however it is serviced regularly, it has never ailed anything (touch wood!). Its in very good condition for its age, looking good on its recently acquired Xm wobbly web wheels. We usually use it for long distance runs, you can guarantee to just jump in it, drive 500 miles in a day, return and leave it for a month until next time. A really dependable, comfortable car, that started both me and my dads fondness for Xms so much, they get contagious.

Recently we picked up a 1994 S2 2.0 16v SX Xm Manual in silver, its quite a gem having done only 31K miles from new! It had been standing for over 3 years, when the elderly owner passed away it was left sitting in a garage for 3 years. A few things were needed to get it back on the road, it still had its original tyres which were pretty cracked so they had to go, the cambelt was original so that was one of the first things to be replaced – didn’t want to risk that going! Along with the water pump and tensioners. A new battery, good service, new front brake pads, new exhaust and new spheres had it MOT ready.

It sailed through its MOT last week, I taxed it for the 1st April and ive now done 250 miles in it and going superbly. It has the odd scratch to its bumpers but that’s to be expected and will be sorted soon. Overall its in fantastic condition, underneath and under the bonnet are like new, not a hint of rust around the wheel arches, just shiny silver paint everywhere. Everything works, its superb inside, basically in as new condition as Xms get. This is our 3rd Xm and I cant see us ever being without at least one.

The C5 Estate was bought recently, which is a 2002 52 2.0HDi SX, very nice car, ideal for transporting our two dogs in comfort and luxury :lol: Its currently getting a new rear radius arm bearing as its making cracking noises.

Its always seemed much slower than my C5, even though they are both identical, albeit one is a hatch and the other an estate. So after a few experiments we swapped over the MAF to the estate from the hatch and it transformed the car. Much more lively and easier to drive as a result, not having to work it hard to get anywhere. The hatch now had its own MAF back on and the estate will need a replacement.

It did actually have a new MAF just before we bought it, however it’s an unbranded cheap version, which doesn’t even look the same, so I think a Citroen one is needed.

There are also three non Citroen cars in the household too, but we wont mention those! So that’s 9 all together, which is a little too many, it takes me for ever in a day to park them each night. Something will have to go! Its deciding what is the problem. :(

Sorry for going on a bit, I hope the post is not too long :S

Chris.
Last edited by Citroenmad on 06 Apr 2012, 13:25, edited 3 times in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
jgra1
(Donor 2021)

Post by jgra1 »

Great post Chris :D

If there were any pics, I cant see them at work, but will have a look later.. the vehicles you mention intrigue me

welcome to the blogs section
John
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

Very interesting blog Chris :D
Looking forward to more Citroen tales :wink:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I love the Traction 6H Chris :D

What a great collection!

All you need now to complete it is a nice Xantia, either an Activa or V6 or maybe both :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ACTIVE8

Post by ACTIVE8 »

CitroJim wrote:I love the Traction 6H Chris :D

What a great collection!

All you need now to complete it is a nice Xantia, either an Activa or V6 or maybe both :lol:
That would be nice. 8)
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Interesting blog! :) 8)
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Thanks everyone :)

Its a shame the Big 6H has been off the road for so long, it will be 3 years next month, as the day it ran the bearing we were on the day back from the Weatherby CCC meeting, where it won a big trophy. So i hope we have it finished in time for this years event.

An Activa would be great, id be off buying the autotrader one if our parking was not full to bursting already!

One day ill have an Activa, id prefer a S1 though i think.

The Xm manual seems to be getteing better and better with use. I had done an oil change as soon as we got it, but thought it would be a good idea to do an oil and filter change again, after 300 or so miles.

So I did another oil change on it today, with a forte motor flush and a good run out before hand. Now I cant even see the oil on the dip stick its so clean.

When we got it the anti sink was working fine, however the rear spheres were totally gone. After the first day of getting it home (on a truck) it was sinking at the rear, and the rear brakes gave up working effectively. So we replaced the spheres and blead the brakes, there was a lot of air in the system (nitrogen out of the spheres it would seem), now the brakes work perfectly but it still sinks. So i think the antisink valve has gone, possibly due to one of the spheres poping. So we now have a new one to go on, that should be this weekend, hopefully.

As ever with cars, there is always something which needs doing, so ill keep this thread up to date with our Citroen adventures.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Strangely the Xm has fixed itself, no more sinking down at the rear now. A new antisink valve was fitted, which made no difference, after a bit of use last weekend it has cured itself, has not sat down again since then. Brilliant!

A new MAF has been fitted to the C5 estate, which has made a difference to performance, although economy seems worse. Is this something which could need coding in with Lexia?

I missed out my C5 from the above list, so here it is, fresh from its wash yesterday:

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Like the XM, you may find the economy problem self-cures as the ECU begins adjusting to the new input it's getting? Otherwise a fault possibly remains and that will require an ECU interrogation session. EDIT
Last edited by MikeT on 26 Apr 2009, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

Chris,
Very nice looking C5!
Something I've always wanted to know about C5's as I never had the pleasure of being a passenger in one. Do they have manual ride height adjustments? Is this all electronic on them or do they still use a mechanical lever? Is the intermediate high carried forward from the 90s Citroens?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Citroenmad wrote:Strangely the Xm has fixed itself, no more sinking down at the rear now. A new antisink valve was fitted, which made no difference, after a bit of use last weekend it has cured itself, has not sat down again since then. Brilliant!

A new MAF has been fitted to the C5 estate, which has made a difference to performance, although economy seems worse. Is this something which could need coding in with Lexia?

I missed out my C5 from the above list, so here it is, fresh from its wash yesterday:

Chris.
Looks good from that angle Chris. Far prettier wheels than mine too.
Do they have manual ride height adjustments?
Yes.
Is this all electronic on them or do they still use a mechanical lever?
'lectronic. Two (or three with Hydractive 3+) buttons near the gearstick.
Is the intermediate high carried forward from the 90s Citroens?
Yes it is.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Mike, i think you might be onto something there. I took the C5 estate for a good run yesterday (around the Buttertubs Pass - Very nice!) and it does seem to be getting along better with the new MAF after that. The trip there got a shocking 34MPG, although the trip back was 50.1MPG on the trip. So it seems to be bacfk to normal now :)
red_dwarfers wrote:Chris,
Very nice looking C5!
Something I've always wanted to know about C5's as I never had the pleasure of being a passenger in one. Do they have manual ride height adjustments? Is this all electronic on them or do they still use a mechanical lever? Is the intermediate high carried forward from the 90s Citroens?

Thanks, its in very good order for its age, i cant take the credit though, all i have done since i bought it is keep it clean and I added the mudflaps, its overall condition it all down to bencowell on here, who i bought it from a couple of months ago.

As Steve has already said, yes it does have a manual adjust for the ride height. It had two (or three on sport models) electronic buttons near the handbrake, and it does still have the intermediate height.

However, if its in low, as you pass 6MPH it will raise to normal height, likewise if you have it in high, it will drop to normal at 6MPH. It stays in intermediate until 24MPH.

It also drops slightly on the motorway too, if its on a flat road at around 64MPH it will drop to be more aerodynamic. Or raise should the road get rough under a certain speed.

One thing i much prefer about the C5, is the speed in which it can change height, its all down to the electric pump, but it means you dont have to wait around for ages while it pumps up from low. The button in the estates boot for dropping the rear of the car down is great too, very handy for the dogs!

Quite a good system really. The only thing they lack is a bit more suspension travel, its quite easy to find the limits of travel on undulating roads. It has quite a bit less travel than Xantias and Xms, so a bit more would be nice. Although mine does have comfort spheres.

The C5 is quite an underrated car.

Thanks Steve :)

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Its been a bit of a car weekend this bank holiday, as ever :lol:

One job was to remove the towbar from the white Xm, its been handy over the years, only used for light towing of our empty horsebox, as its towing weight is not enough to pull it loaded with horses, but it needed moving around the country. The towbar has not been used for a few years and looked very unsightly on the back of the XM. So i set about removing it, which wasn’t as quick and easy as i had thought. A multitude of wires needed to be removed, a few rusted bolts didnt want to play and sorting out the second catch for the spare wheel carrier was tricky after it had been moved to allow the towbar to be fitted.

There are holes left by the towbar frame, which we filled with chassis wax and plugged with rubber grommets. We also did a bit of under sealing and tidying up, so its looking better underneath for having that. Oh, and a whole lot better without that awful towbar.

Today, since we had all the cars out anyway, we had the bright idea of getting the 5 working Citroens (the traction is getting there, slowly!) together for a photoshoot. Not wanting to line them all up in our road we decided to find a better place to take them. We thought of a field, which was about 4 miles from our house. This would be easy if there was just two cars to take over, but we had five we wanted to take. So a lot of driving to and forth from there and we eventually had them all ready. Here are a couple of pictures from today, grey weather but they turned out ok:

I took a lot of pictures, but ive tried my best to narrow them down to the above ones.

The traction is my dads slow process project at the moment. I try to help where i can but im learning about engines, so i can only do what he shows me. However, the traction was there for the photographs today, well actually bits of it were! The wings are in the back of the van, along with the healamps, grill and bumper, and the bonnet is in the back of the C5 estate after i collected it last week from being dipped to remove the old paint. It should be going to the bodyshop this week to be painted and hopefully the engine will be back in once the bonnet is ready. It will be nice to have the traction going again, as the van is out of use too, its more of a shed than a vehicle at the moment.

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

The C5 estate is now up for sale, if anyone is wanting one or knows anyone who might please let me know.

Its in the for sale items. :)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
tim leech
(Donor 2016)

Post by tim leech »

Hi Chris,

A great line up there, Ive never managed to get my lot all in one shot as they are stored all over the place, I do like the white XM, although Ive has 21 (yes 21) BXs I have always hankered after a Mk1 XM but being mehcanically inept I decided against it for now.

See you at stratford?
1994 XANTIA 1.8i SX 132k, From new, Slumbering
1991 BX TZD Turbo, 192k Batttered/Awaiting Resto
1991 BX 19TZi Auto 93k Factory A/C
1991 BX 16 TGS Athena (project), mechanically sorted just a bit scruffy!
1985 BX 19GT 57k beige wonder