Fitting GTi alloys to non-GTi 205

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

joshm

Fitting GTi alloys to non-GTi 205

Post by joshm »

Hi all,
I'm considering getting a set of 205 GTi alloys for my GT (essentially an XS with 5 doors), since the steel rims are past ther peak and let the car down a little.
What I'm wondering is whether the ride will suffer drastically if I fit them. I'm happy to consider the 14" 1.6 or 15" 1.9 rims (obviously the 1.9 ones look nicer!).
Any advice (or offers of wheels for sale!) gratefully received.
Josh
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
If you fit some alloys make sure you use the right alloy bolts for the wheels & not the steel bolts you have on the car at the moment.
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Hi there,
I did exactly this to my 309 - no problem!
Definatly you need the right alloy bolts! (I have a full set if you're interested?) other than that - great fun! I had the 15" alloys on my 309 so I thought the speedo would have been a bit out, but after driving side by side with my mate with us both registering 30mph it seemed that it was still spot on!
The only hiccup I had was when I got a puncture - as obviously the spare was still a 14" steel!!
joshm

Post by joshm »

Thanks for the replies. If I get a set without bolts I'd definitely be interested in getting hold of some, so I'll be in touch as and when.
My real query, I guess, related to how the car felt with the bigger rims on - I guess the tyres can be changed to keep a similar circumference. I think that the GTi's had diferent suspension settings and were probably better tuned to drive with the big alloys. With my old BMW I noticed a considerable difference in the ability to soak up the bumps when upgrading from 14" steel to 15" alloy - I just wondered if there was a significant change in the feel of the a non-GTi Pug (13" steel) when Gti alloys (15" alloy) were fitted...
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

At the time I thought it made the car handle a little better, but it wasn't that noticable!
But it certainly made it look better!
joshm

Post by joshm »

Hi r 306 xsi,
I've sent you an email about your alloy wheel bolts... I'm interested in getting them!
Josh M
MartinR
My Cars:

Post by MartinR »

One problem you may face is....
Fitting the 15" rims with 195/50/15s on them the wheel may rub the inside of the rear arch if your rear beam is not perfect. What i mean is..... if your beam is creaking and on its way out then the wider wheels will show this up immediately, thus wasting your money as you will have to remove the wheels.
Check the rear beam first before you do anything. The wheels should be perfectly straight like this |----| if they are like /----| or
|----\ then dont fit the alloy wheels.
You can of course fit 185s to the 15" rims if you think your beam is on its way out.
Incidentally i have 15 of the 14" rims, 14 of which have road legal tread on them, but my guess is that you would like the 15" rims instead.
joshm

Post by joshm »

Doh! Just bought some 14 inch rims, so thanks anyway. I just wanted rid of the nasty steel ones and wasn't too fussed about the 15 inch bling factor. The tyres on these are 185/60/R14 so I should be ok (although I'm guessing my already weighty steering will suffer!).
Cheers, Josh
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Hi JoshM,
Sorry - didn't get your email - I think there is some problem with sending email straight from the forum, and I haven't logged on here for a while - I'll look out the bolts for you if you're still interested - only downside is they're heavy so postage may be a bit steep - I'll let you know...
joshm

Post by joshm »

Damn and blast! I ended up paying what was probably over the odds for a set on EBay in the end, so thanks anyway. If the sale falls through I'll try to get in touch again using this forum.
Cheers, Josh
MartinR
My Cars:

Post by MartinR »

if it does fall through i have 15 14" rims if you are interested
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

I did exactly this with my xs and the handling is transformed.
The steering is heavier and even more so with a smaller steering wheel like I have. It is a well worth doing mod.