jgra1 blog

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: jgra1 blog

Post by RichardW »

Reckon you've had your money's worth out of these, John :-D

Really, Really must find time to do mine - pretty sure they are on the original pads and discs - just turned 127k....
Richard W
KP

Post by KP »

Blooming heck John that looks like ones of those ring frisbee things :-D

Is it a saw of the normal corrosion on that side between disc and caliper or that it's just not sliding right anymore??
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

:-D i think you had the most out of those discs alright.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

:shock:
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I recon you could have got a couple of thousand miles from them yet! :lol: :shock:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
jgra1
(Donor 2021)

Post by jgra1 »

;)

Over the weekend I managed to get the underneath of the coupe washed, and also the xant as best as I could.
The coupe has always suffered a PS leak, and despite me fitting 3 secondhand racks (at least) it is not cured.. yes with hindsight I should have got a recon.. or gone to specsavers to properly identify the leak if it comes from other places..

I do know that a fair bit of leakage is from the lower pressure feed to the pump, the brass spigot is loose... but, I wanted to clean up and check for other leaks around the rack.. Ideas on the loose spigot welcomed :) I may get the pump off and use some chemical metal,... otherwise maybe silicon?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

Are you sure it's not the flex part of your feed hose weeping? They can be affected by twisting when doing up, or (over time) motor rocking relative to the rack's solidity.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I can't picture this loose thing John... Got a picture?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)

Post by jgra1 »

its just the inlet (or return) pipe into the pump Jim i think.
will get a pic
Are you sure it's not the flex part of your feed hose weeping? They can be affected by twisting when doing up, or (over time) motor rocking relative to the rack's solidity.
Maybe Adam.. it should all be clean enough now for me to examine.. although I may not get under there till the weekend sometime
jgra1
(Donor 2021)

Post by jgra1 »

ignore the nest of wiring ;) that's ccoming off this weekend..

Its the black pipe with the jubilee (near blue PS pressure plug).. that pipe attaches to an inlet which is slightly loose.. some PS fluid is coming out of there to the alternator..

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

That certainly looks like the PAS feed pipe from your reservoir. How the pump spigot came loose is odd; maybe the engine was leant against it in transit? Probably easiest to replace your pump if the budget stretches thus...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)

Post by jgra1 »

I do have a spare pump addo.. on that one the spigot is 'out of round'

I will have a look later... it's soft metal, and I will have something that will restore the cylindrical shape somewhere....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, excellent John. it all makes sense now :-D

I reckon if you have the pump off and give it a real good degrease it should be possible to pull the brass spigot out of the pump body and glue it back in with some good oil-resistant and heat-resistant epoxy resin.

It's not under any great pressure there...

Is that the only leak? If more on the high pressure side and you've swapped the rack a couple of times then if your car has one then the pressure regulator may be a bit suspect - regulating at too high a pressure perhaps.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Jim, think I will change the pump on Sunday.. the spare looks good, and I have another reason to remove the aux (and a small request to you ! :) )
I will fit and refill, and then start her and pull the track rod gaiters out of the way and see what occurs.. but will also look carefully at the HP pipework...

...pressure reg.... coupe has speed sensitive steering..(2 settings I am sure) how does this work? There is the pressure switch on the HP pipe, I guess this can reduce flow when at higher speeds? There is something electrical on the rack to, at the pinion valve..

will try and find out but ideas welcome.. Adam, same as higher spec 605's?

one more thing.. as i thought I would be ripping the whole system out, I put some LHM in, as it's fairly obvious to see a leak with that..
the whole lot emptied in a couple of weeks, without even running the car! ..must be a new significant leak now.. on top of others)
John
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

The 605 steering had a separate box (maybe it's Bendix?) with a fifteen way plug or so. It also has two outputs from the control box; one is a feed back line the other goes to the PAS unit.

The control unit has a solenoid in it, that also sticks at times making PAS assistance very low (and a filter nobody cleans - could something like that be your problem?) so I'm not sure if this describes much like what you have. The control box is self-contained, there is no remote ECU. Sensor inputs are brake pressure, road speed, rate of steering wheel turn.