Rattiva the Second...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Rattiva the Second...

Post by CitroJim »

I bit the bullet and did the 'wedgie' caliper today. Not before I had new bolts on hand though...

I was lucky, using a breaker bat with case and lots of Plus-Gas I got the bots moving and after lots and lots of toing and froing they both came out intact, albeit covered in corrosion...

This was the sate of the caliper at the start of work, it's almost touching the disc and you can see the wedging very clearly...

This was the buildup of corrosion on the trailing arm. I used a sharp cold chisel to chip it away in big lumps...

The corrosion on the caliper end. Again, chipped off with the cold chisel...

One written-off disc showing the contact area due to the wedging. The disc was badly corroded where the pads had not been in contact and was utterly unusable again. I'm glad I had a serviceable spare... Pads were also replaced...

That's better!

It was a job I was dreading on account of the risk of bolt breakage but in the end it was all good. £16 wasted on new bolts... :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

£16 wasted on new bolts...
Typical, you know what would have happened if you didn't have them...
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

robert_e_smart wrote:
£16 wasted on new bolts...
Typical, you know what would have happened if you didn't have them...
Exactly.... :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Good work Jim . Don't fancy taking the head off my Hdi do you . Only joking , keep up the fantastic work

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

J'admire la butée elastique; elle est magnifique.
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

J'admire la butée elastique; elle est magnifique.
:lol:

J'ai vue pire que ca!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:J'admire la butée elastique; elle est magnifique.
Yes, it is a bit ratty isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Taking full advantage of the lovely weather I did the last couple of jobs I needed to do for peace of mine - replace the cambelt and water pump...

It's a nice, straightforward job on the HDi and it went very smoothly. It's just like doing an XUD but a little easier in that the belt covers come off easily (after finding the hidden bolt around the back :twisted: ) and there's no injection pump to time.

The manual tensioner needs careful attention but apart from that it's not a bad job to do...

So that's it, all future jobs are elective but one I must do before the bad weather sets in is the Erberspacher auxiliary heater as the car will be almost unusable in the depths of winter without it. HDis just don't warm up when idling. In fact to get it warm enough to bleed after the coolant change i had to take it out for a brisk run first...
Jim

Dommo

Post by Dommo »

Worth checking if the glow plugs in the electric cabin air heater are working.

There's a block in the middle behind the engine on the bulkhead with four glow plugs going in, the idea is they warm up the coolant going into the heater matrix to heat the coolant that heads into the heater matrix for those cold frosty mornings. Pah, who needs Ford style heated windscreens?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dommo wrote:Worth checking if the glow plugs in the electric cabin air heater are working.
Not on mine Dom, Mine has the Erberspacher diesel powered heater... I looks like a little central heating boiler mounted under the NS wing!!!
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

For warmth, mine has that big yellow thing that's mounted in the sky, most days. :P

Good guide on the caliper work - mine are well overdue, although the "wedging" is longitudonal. It'll be interesting to see how stuck the bolts are in Australia. I presume there is a further fixing which stops the caliper halves from separating.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

The trouble is Adam, the HDi is such an efficient engine it struggles to warm up in the cold and this makes an auxiliary heater essential for safety when it's freezing as the screens refreeze after defrosting them otherwise... The only place down your neck of the woods you'd have such a problem is in Canberra :lol: Here is Blighty we have to grin and bear several months of it and if the forecasters are to be believed we can look forward to colder winters in the future...
addo wrote:I presume there is a further fixing which stops the caliper halves from separating.
Only by virtue of replacing the pad through-bolt with no pads in place when removing the caliper. Otherwise the caliper halves will separate. It's not a biggie if they do, just mind the little O ring that seals the two halves...

I can't imagine yours will be as bad as ours although if they get wet regularly then that's enough to set off the electrolytic corrosion.
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Re:

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:The trouble is Adam, the HDi is such an efficient engine it struggles to warm up in the cold and this makes an auxiliary heater essential for safety when it's freezing as the screens refreeze after defrosting them otherwise... The only place down your neck of the woods you'd have such a problem is in Canberra :lol: Here is Blighty we have to grin and bear several months of it and if the forecasters are to be believed we can look forward to colder winters in the future...
addo wrote:I presume there is a further fixing which stops the caliper halves from separating.
Only by virtue of replacing the pad through-bolt with no pads in place when removing the caliper. Otherwise the caliper halves will separate. It's not a biggie if they do, just mind the little O ring that seals the two halves...

I can't imagine yours will be as bad as ours although if they get wet regularly then that's enough to set off the electrolytic corrosion.
Going to work, mine warms up within a mile.
Hammer it on the motorway and it is really toasty within a couple of miles.

It does have the additional 'coolant' heater though.

We used those Eberspächer heaters in our Volvos in Sweden - fabulous!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva clearly has a problem in the cooling department. She runs too cool. I can go to work (six miles) and the thermostat is not open (it seems) when I arrive. The rad is stone cold and the engine barely warm to the touch.. The heater output is next to nil. I have bled and rebled and no improvement. I know it's all Ok because eventually the rad warms and some warm air comes out of the heater vents but warm is all it ever is.

The odd thing is that the temperature gauge reads about 85 degrees eventually and sits there but the water temperature and engine temperature suggests this is a lie. I took her for a good long run this evening, some 20 miles, and did not hang around. Still only cool air out of the vents and a very cool engine on arrival home.

They can't run that cool surely?

I reckon the thermostat must be duff and will change it when I can. I can't think of anything else it can be unless I still have an obstinate air lock but then I would have expected the engine to run very hot. Honestly, as a source of heat it's complete rubbish.

I've not yet refitted the undertray. Can leaving it off make that much of a difference to the running temperature of an HDi?

In contrast, both the V6 and Activa gives warm air out of the vents almost instantly after starting, then scalding hot air within about 5 minutes.

I can't recall how the heater was before I replaced the coolant and water pump as there was little call for the heater before then. It got colder at the same time as I did the job...
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

HDi's have excellent thermal efficiency, without some form of additional heater they never really warm up at this time of year, get the Eberspacher sorted and heat will be yours!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH