Rattiva the Second...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Rattiva the Second...

Post by CitroJim »

She's here at last, arrived on the stroke of midnight under a full moon.. Not sure if there's an omen here but she certainly had an adventure or two getting here.. :roll:

If she was a boy I'd have called her Damien :lol: :lol:

The subject in question is Rattiva II and is the latest addition to my fleet; a rather ratty late Xantia HDi 110 Exclusive. The name Rattiva comes from a singularly scruffy Activa I once rescued so it seemed appropriate to continue the naming theme.

Rattiva II is to be my winter runabout so that I can protect my Activa and V6 from the worst extremes of the weather and the council's salt fetish...

To be honest I like the rat look and having a car that's not too tidy for leaving in suspect (Tesco) car parks and so on. I hate leaving the V6 or the Activa in public car parks as they seem to attract the trolley scuffers and plebs who abandon their cars six inches away like a magnet. I find the ropier the car looks the less it gets any attention from the scuffing scum... Also, if I want to chuck a gearbox in the boot, no worries...

Her journey here was from near Reading via Glasgow where she was used to assist in the collection of a very rare Poxhall thing for her former owners pal. The Poxhall in question is a Carlton 3.0 24V estate and under torch-light looked incredibly tidy and by Poxhall standards, rather desirable in its own way... 24 left apparently...

During this epic adventure, Rattiva II's engine management light came on and she also decided to have a tad of ABS fun by releasing the brakes behind a car sporting a towbar. Damage is superficial, a crack in the front bumper and a rather interestingly patterned numberplate. To be honest, it's a bit superficial given the cosmetic appearance of the rest of the car..

As soon as it's light I'll be out looking her over and giving her a good wash and spruce-up before getting the spanners twirling in her general direction...

More later...

bxzx16v

Re: Rattiva the Second...

Post by bxzx16v »

Waiting for pics of the "Rat" Jim :D

Mark

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bxzx16v wrote:Waiting for pics of the "Rat" Jim :D

Mark

very soon Mark, very soon!!!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Here she is, first scoop photo before wash...

Even a rat would be ashamed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post-wash and scrub-up pics to follow...

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

If you're calling a car Rattiva you're not allowed to wash it :?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:If you're calling a car Rattiva you're not allowed to wash it :?
Too late, the deed is about to be done.. Already hoovered out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris570 has just run his Lexia across it. Engine fault is low boost pressure...

And the LHF ABS sensor is unhappy...

Only one Hydractive fault.. Straight ahead calculation...

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

HDi's thrive on abuse(*) - well mine does anyway! Wash it? Yeah, in 2009 - I think :)

Low boost pressure could well be the vac solenoid on the bulkhead, and odds on the fault with the ABS is a split ring on the driveshaft - got a new one in the garage to fit to mine sometime, but TBH the brakes feel sharper without the ABS fuse in.

* You do have to remember they were designed by the French so driving it like you stole it is order of the day - the ones that seem to give trouble are those that pootle around. Er, that could be a problem, Jim....! Mind you, even if you rag it mercilessly it will still use 50% less fuel than the V6 :lol:

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

I'm sure it will clean up nice Jim

Mark

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bxzx16v wrote:I'm sure it will clean up nice Jim
It did Mark, as Chris570 will attest :D Under all that grime actually lurks a nice car. It's never going to be a concours winner as it looks like it's had a number of 'trolley incidents' and several large cats have been at it with big, sharp claws but it's straight and dent-free by and large...

A bit dog-eared is a fair description. Just as it was for my Old V6 although Rattiva II is rather more dog-eared perhaps :D :D The inside has come up nice, the only issue being a hole in the driver's seat bolster. Anty tips on patching leather would be appreciated...

All the toys work although there's a fault with the heater temperature flap gears...

Faults found so far include, in no particular order:

Engine top mount donut.

Rattly exhaust.

'P' bushes. So badly worn the car handles like a bunch of threpnyybits :twisted: I'll get a picture of the when I swap them, they are amazing as there's hardly any rubber left...

Sinks at the front. I suspect ruptured corners; will find out after lunch..

The Boost fault has not returned. I'm already bloody impressed with the 110 HDi... It's got grunt like a 2.1 but revs like a 1.9... Best of both worlds :D

And finally...

ABS light. Diagnosed by Chris as the front LH but guess what..
RichardW wrote:odds on the fault with the ABS is a split ring on the driveshaft
Spot-on Richard :D :D :D :D I noted the ABS light did go on and off a time or two on a test run...

I've just changed the oil and found a lot of tarry oil on the boost pipe that dives underneath so that one may the the loss of boost culprit... I've cleaned it up and will keep an eye...

The oil had been in there some time. One of the front under shield bolts sheared as I tried gingerly to remove it and the draind oil was a tad on the black side, as was the air filter...

All in all, she's looking good. The front bumper damage is superficial indeed and goes with the general patina of the car... The rear bumper is worse...

More news as it happens....

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

And it's good to have an oil burner back on the fleet :D It's been a long time and I've missed it..

I can see I'm going to like the 110 HDi very much indeed...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

here's the ABS ring:

I found the split, eased it a bit and in no time it was in three bits :o It seems they get rust in them that weakens them as the remains almost crumpled in my hand..

Richard, do you have a link for a replacement please?

Here's the bad 'P' bush (or should I say XP Bush as it's definitely ex :lol: :lol: )

A shot of the engine bay...

And a shot of her after a scrub... Not bad at all!!!

Sharp eyes might spot she's an ex Savoy Garage car as she still wears their logo below the LH rearlight...

The front corner spheres defeated me :cry: They are rock solid and I've never known such a thing before. A Pleiades tool and a hammer failed to budge them :shock: But then the 'give' in the strut top makes blows to the tool a bit ineffective. Any removal tips as they truly are FT and I've never encountered that before...

The rattly exhaust is because of a failed clamp on the back box. You'd never believe the racket a loose back box to centre joint makes. It rattles and resonates all over the car. Just a new clamp needed...

A silly little thing is the oil filler cap O ring is perished beyond belief and has gone all slimy and gooey.. I wonder if the O rings are available or is it a complete new cap?

I'm calling it a day for now as I'm a bit tired. It was a late night last night and good progress has been made today. All in all, I'm very pleased...

I'm not driving it even though I'm fully legit to do so. The state of that 'P' bush and the funny handling as a result is almost scary :lol: :lol:

Next job, order some spares...

I then want to crack into it as I want to enjoy it :D

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Looks like a nice car Jim.
As for the spheres I have never been defeated with my strap wrench in conjuction with a 3/4 inch 3 foot breaker bar.
Although I do have a unique scafold pole accessory for it which has come in handy a couple of times. :lol:
Dave

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

RichardW wrote:HDi's thrive on abuse(*) - well mine does anyway! Mind you, even if you rag it mercilessly it will still use 50% less fuel than the V6 :lol:
I have erm, driven that car quite hard on occasions, and I've never got less than 38mpg. That was a couple of weeks ago when it allegedly took me from Twyford to Bristol in an hour and 25 mins, including a quick stop at Leigh Delamere services to get a coffee. In 19k miles it's never let me down. First time any faults show up of course, had to be yesterday when it was on it's way to Jim.. I was sad to see it go and didn't want to get rid, however circumstances dictated at the time it had to. If it was now, what with my new employment and new found comparative wealth, I might have kept it!

Anyway, as luck would have it, I now get to drive around in this nice red Activa for a few weeks..

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/T ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It belongs to Pete, the guy who bought the Poxhall and dropped the car off for Jim last night. He's nowhere to store it, and it has 9 months T&T. It needs a few new spheres, but other than that it's actually rather nice now it's clean. As long as I change the spheres (that's my rental payment) I can use it for a while until my new car arrives.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Pete's Activa looks really lovely now Mike :D Such a difference from when I last saw it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be careful though, he'll not recognise it! Mind you, you could always them claim it's yours and deny it was ever his....

Bring it up for the spheres whenever it's mutually convenient..

Thanks Mike, for the HDi and thanks too to Pete for delivering it...

I know what you mean about being sad to see an old faithful friend go to a new home but at least you know she's gone to a good 'un..

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Jim

I got mine from Uk Parts direct: ABS Ring I've not tried to fit it yet, but it looks the part. Interesting to see that your ring is shiny as mine is - my guess is that it has expanded, and is rubbing on the ABS sensor - I just hope that the sensor is not worn away, so when the new ring is fitted the gap isn't too wide, and a new sensor is required :roll: [-o<

Oh, and welcome to the HDi club - it really is the engine the Xantia always wanted. Still think it's a great car over 4 years and 75k on - was looking at C5 prices the other day - no diesel estates under 100k for <£2k - I thought they were unloved :?: Anyway Xantia is not going anywhere soon - unless it seriously throws its toys out of the pram.