CX Coil Woes

An area for all matters concerning the Citroen CX.
steveholl
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 21:09

CX Coil Woes

Unread post by steveholl »

Hi Folks

just joined, hope I'm in the right place to post this. My cx is causing me much grief of late. The latest is that the ballast resistor has snapped, it starts if I bypass the resistor. I have a new ballast resistor coil to go on, but no resistor. My question is, can I get a new resistor, or can I use a non ballast resistor coil? Its series 1 cx reflex that I foolishly use as a daily.....

any help would be gratefully received

many thanks

Steve
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8390

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by CitroJim »

Steve,

Welcome :-D

I'd reckon a standard 12V automotive ballast resistor should be OK. Don't run without else you'll burn out the coil... This one here on the 'bay might do maybe?

If not, a big heavy-duty wirewound resistor intended for electronics use should be a good substitute if you can't get the genuine article. We just need to know the value of the proper resistor... We just need a CX owner to get his ohmmeter out and read one...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
robert_e_smart
Posts: 1031
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 10:51
x 14

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by robert_e_smart »

We just need a CX owner to get his ohmmeter out and read one...
Tell me more, I have an Athena with the same engine as Steve's Reflex.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8390

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by CitroJim »

robert_e_smart wrote:
We just need a CX owner to get his ohmmeter out and read one...
Tell me more, I have an Athena with the same engine as Steve's Reflex.
Then you're just the chap then Robert!!!

To read it, disconnect the battery and the wire on the + side of the coil, switch your ohmmeter to the lowest ohms setting, switch on the ignition and read the resistance between the battery positive lead and the coil + lead. The reading will be the value of the ballast resistor...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
robert_e_smart
Posts: 1031
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 10:51
x 14

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by robert_e_smart »

Right, I'll give that a go tomorrow if I remember.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
steveholl
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 21:09

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by steveholl »

Thanks Guys

I appreciate the advice

steve
steveholl
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 21:09

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by steveholl »

Forgot to say, im sure my new coil had the ohm rating on it, might save robert a job
steveholl
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 21:09

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by steveholl »

HI Folks

just checked my new coil, its rated 0.9 ohm for the resistor......

thanks

Steve
robert_e_smart
Posts: 1031
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 10:51
x 14

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by robert_e_smart »

I forgot to check mine, do you still need me to?
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
steveholl
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 21:09

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by steveholl »

Hi Robert

Thanks for the offer, I think I just need to find a suitable replacement ballast resistor now. I've got the battery on charge as it went flat having the coil straight to the battery, I forgot to take off one night.......doh!

all best

Steve
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8390

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by CitroJim »

Steve,

Here's a big, hairy 1 ohm resistor that will do the job a treat...

0.9 ohms is a non-preferred value but 1 ohm should be fine and 50W power rating should be good too. It has it's own heatsink so bolt it to a piece of alloy sheet attached to something and you'll be well away...
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 28691
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 13:30
x 5674

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by myglaren »

I forget exactly what we were up to at the time but one of the engineers I worked with chained around 20 of those and applied some juice to the mess. Mains, IIRC.

They exploded like hand grenades, it was pure luck that no-one was injured.

This was of course not using them in their intended application.
User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 55066
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 8390

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by CitroJim »

That's engineers for you Steve...

Great fun :-D If we can make something go bang or explode we will...

As a kid I found that big electrolytic capacitors thrown onto a bonfire were quite satisfactory in the ornamental explosion department...

Mind you, they went off a lot better if you connected them across the mains....
Jim

A bit of a Citroen AX fan...
steveholl
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 21:09

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by steveholl »

Thanks for all help.........I'll crack on with this and let you know how I get on

cheers

Steve
steveholl
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Nov 2011, 21:09

Re: CX Coil Woes

Unread post by steveholl »

Hi folks,

Well.....it is now running sweetly.. I got a big 150watt 1 ohm resistor from rs components, and put a new coil in as well. The old one was probably as old as the car...after initially wiring up the wrong way it started and rose majestically! Oh the joy... Now need to sort out soggy carpets. Thanks for all help and advice

Cheers

Steve