R9UKE's French Car Blog...

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

Am I alone here on wanting 5 sphere Xantia sinkers, BXs, CXs and the like?

I really want to get a non hydractive Xm as well.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

I would be very interested to experience a non hydractive XM. I'm still undecided on which is softer as I've heard conflicting views :lol:

I guess non hydractive does feel more traditional but for day to day use, its nice to be on the level. If there was no compromise between roll and suppleness, non hydractive would win every time.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

myglaren wrote:Luke, you need TOTAL LDS fluid for the suspension & power steering.
Accept nothing else.

Put the suspension on LOW then add the fluid to the reservoir. It should be nowhere near full.
If you check the filler there is a funnel shaped 'strainer' with vertical slots in it.
Some slots are longer than others.
The LDS should not be above the top of the shorter slots.
Thank you very much for this. The reservoir is dry and the power steering has been cutting in and out all evening. A tour of Birmingham's autostores awaits me tomorrow. I really appreciate this guide for a Citroen newbie :D

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, it seems a great car and I'll be even happier when the Hydractive reservoir contains some fluid.

Will keep updating as I confront a few issues tomorrow, and can confirm that I will not be buying Robert's Activa! Sorry but they're just not my cup of tea....

Xantia V6 though... yes please!!!!
French is best.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Has anyone had their V6 Xantia down the Pod? Im sure that would settle which is the faster car! Im sure mine has been with a few performance mods too, ill have to try dig out the time.

I love the Activas very odd driving experience, I say odd but when your used to it its all the other cars which feel odd, rolling around bends. An Xm might feel flat round the bends but it really isnt, especially when your following one.

The hydractive Xm is a better ride than a non hydractive Xantia in my opinion, I do like a controlled ride which the hydractive offers. A hydractive Xm should be very soft and very comfortable.

I think I might need to get a V6 and live with one just to see what the appeal really is, as at the moment im not so sure about them, though my experience is fairly limited. I wouldnt swap the Activa for one no matter how good the V6 engine was, normal hydractive and an autobox, its a step backwards in my books :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

See I'm not really the "throw it into a corner" type person, and that's what the Activa is all about, right?

I have no doubt that the Activa would be far quicker than this C5 V6. In fact, many things would be, it couldn't really be described as fast at all - more an effortless cruiser. You can practically hear it saying "Do we really have to??" when the pedal is pushed to the floor! I really wouldn't believe that the same engine lives under the bonnet of my Laguna.

Right. Todays tasks:
Find somewhere that sells the magic Citroen juice and give the poor car what it needs.
Try to find an interior door handle from a scrapyard. If that fails then I'll try swapping the rear handle with the drivers which will no doubt involve removing the door cards.
Work out why the washer jets aren't working. Reservoir is full, must be full of guck because I can hear the motors going!

I'm really looking forward to the drive to Stranraer tomorrow. I'll report back on the MPG it achieves, I some how doubt it'll match the figure of 47 from the Vel Satis :?
French is best.
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

robert_e_smart wrote:Am I alone here on wanting 5 sphere Xantia sinkers, BXs, CXs and the like?
Oh no Robert - you can't be travelling down the road in a nice soft and wafty CX! :D 8-)

If only Citroen went ahead with their 3.0 V8...
Franklin
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

I'm looking forward to getting the Athena back on road in July. I have missed her.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

What's the 0-60 for the V6 C5 ? My 2.2Hdi 136bhp was around 10 secs , the Activa is around the 10 sec mark I think . The C5 must be a least a match for the 2.2hdi(136) if not better .

Mark
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

bxzx16v wrote:What's the 0-60 for the V6 C5 ? My 2.2Hdi 136bhp was around 10 secs , the Activa is around the 10 sec mark I think . The C5 must be a least a match for the 2.2hdi(136) if not better .

Mark
9.7 seconds apparently. Impossible without having Sport mode active as the gearbox likes to change very early otherwise.

My Laguna with the same engine does the sprint in 8.1 secs!
French is best.
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

Interesting.

The C5 V6 is 9.2 secs? That is shocking compared to the Laguna at 8.1 secs and the V6 Coupé which is listed at 7.5.

In curiosity I looked at the Clio V6 too :lol: - Same engine just with a bit more wrung out of it...

Ph1 230bhp - 6.2 secs

Ph2 255bhp - 5.6 secs

Wonder how much work would be needed to either get the Coupé to match that! :twisted:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Would have thought the C5 was quicker than that , drove a Gsi 3000 Carlton years ago with a switchable box , now that was quick . Didn't get it though got a R25 V6 turbo ph2 instead

Mark
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

Yes the C5 must be the slowest car with that engine to get to 60... it has such a laid back, lazy character. It suits the car though!

Those figures are pretty impressive from the Clio V6! But then again, the engine sits where the back seats should be - it really is ASBO worthy :lol:

Mark - nice choice with the R25! The Lotus Carlton would be one to try though :D

Update with the C5 -
Topped up the LDS fluid this afternoon. Power steering back to normal, and the car is driving better than ever!!! BUT... I came back later to find a lovely puddle of the stuff under the car. What a beautiful welcome back to Citroen ownership.
Drivers door handle is fixed too, a replacement was a tenner from the scrappy and not too hard to fit at all.

Leaving at 7am in the morning for the 300 mile trip home. I hope it manages to hold on to at least a little bit of Fluide LDS overnight :?
French is best.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

R9UKE wrote:See I'm not really the "throw it into a corner" type person, and that's what the Activa is all about, right?
Ah, I see.
I am a throw it into a corner type of person, though it does kind of conflict with my liking for comfort too, which is why I have been after an Activa for so long. It more than satisfies my Citroen interests, its still comfortable and refined but it handles very very well for a large car. Trouble is traffic goes so much slower when im driving the Activa :lol:

The official 0-60 for a standard Activa is 9.2, though it feels much quicker than that in my opinion. Though mine is a bit tweaked so is quicker than that.

Im finding it a real 'Q' Car, im yet to be kept up with on twisty bits, the performance of mine is more than enough to keep me entertained and most road cars disappearing. There is an excellent bit of road not too far away (about 20 miles long) which really suits well sorted cars, ive not done it in the Xant yet but I will, soon!

Enjoy your lengthy trip in the C5 tomorrow Luke, im sure it will be a pleasure. Not great news about the leak though, hopefully it is something simple.
So this might be a car to keep for a little while then? I think you will find that hard once you have your Lag V6 all fixed up. 8-)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

You really do praise the Activa. Maybe I need a proper drive in one on the perfect road, but it'll have to be something very special to tempt me away from a V6 Xant - Another car I have yet to pilot :P

The C5 V6 achieved 33.3 MPG on the 300 mile drive. I am very, very impressed at this figure. That was without being MPG concious and included quite a number of V6 kick down overtakes :lol:

My 1.8 Laguna only achieved 5 MPG more on the same journey. A V6 is the way to go for a mile muncher. (This isn't cue for some HDi owner to tell me they would have achieved 66 MPG :!: )

On a lesser note, the car has managed to lose all of it's LDS fluid on the way up, making for very heavy steering onto the ferry (not very fun). I don't want to cause any further damage so the C5 will be hibernating until I get the leak looked at!

All in all, I'm really happy with the car. The engine is excellent, and I was pretty amazed by how much the car's character changes when Sport mode is selected for the suspension and gearbox.

But Chris, I have a feeling you're right.... the Lag V6 makes the Citroen's permanent place on my fleet very difficult :cry:
French is best.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

The Activa is my kind of car though Luke, it might not be yours, Im yet to be convinced that a V6 is mine too. Your welcome to a drive in mine at the National, ill even give you a demonstration of its handling if your not an easily scared passenger :lol:

33 MPG, wow, that is fairly impressive from a V6 C5, very good indeed. I can imagine it is quite the cruiser yes, if I get a V6 something, it would be a Xantia or C5. For the price you paid for yours, I would have snapped it up.

I guess those Scottish roads gave you a good test of the car when both sports switches were down. Will you be bringing this C5 to the national CCC rally next month?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10