My Xantia V6 Blog ....SADLY Due to End.. :-(

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ive got a set of 60 profile tyres on Xantia VSX Alloys which could go on eventually....The tyres, NOT the wheels

RE: Rust. Both places :cry:

The sill is bad, and the lip of the arch right round to the bumper is rusty..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Do you plan on repairing the rust yourself?

I wouldn't know where to start :?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Wouldn't know wer to start where? With the rust??

I think theres enough metal to rub down fill in and repaint back in...

The inner side of the arch certainly was not flakey at all like the outer.

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

citroenxm wrote: ... and fit passenger door mirror to see if I can get the auto dip working again.. IIRC the current door mirror is a standard electric one as the original one was - um - absent.
Paul
Dipping mirrors for MK1s are like hens teeth, and the wiring harness is different to the Mk2 item, but the internals of the MK1 and Mk2 mirrors are the same, so they can be cobbled to fit.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

I have the mirror which I beleve is from a Mk.1 so I need to get it on and see... damm I never thought they be different, I never kept or dont think Ikept the Mk.1 harness from in the door... :?

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Looking good Paul.. All the best with the MOT...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

xantia_v6 wrote:
citroenxm wrote: ... and fit passenger door mirror to see if I can get the auto dip working again.. IIRC the current door mirror is a standard electric one as the original one was - um - absent.
Paul
Dipping mirrors for MK1s are like hens teeth, and the wiring harness is different to the Mk2 item, but the internals of the MK1 and Mk2 mirrors are the same, so they can be cobbled to fit.
Well I had a look at this this evening... had the door card off and found that its only four wires that control the memory..

So with the mirror on the floor ignition on, I set about pinning it out.. I randomly connected the wires up... incidentally, Mk.1 memory connectors are two 2 Pin plugs, S2's are a single mini 4 pin connector..

I had someinteresting results from randomly connecting the pins up.. untill BINGO it worked!

This in the colour order they need to be in to work..

So job done, memory mirror working perfectly.. S2 mirror on a S1 car..By the way, Ive NOT left them connected in this manner, Ive connected them a bit more securely.. but not cut the cars loom..

I also have discovered that the rear hydractive Valve IS disconnected - do I brave reconnecting, or will that give me a leak on top setting?

Paul
Last edited by citroenxm on 24 Sep 2013, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good stuff Paul...

I thought for a moment you'd attended the Lucas Wiring acadamy after doing a job like that on your mirror :lol: :lol:

Well, you need to take the bull by the horns, bite the bullet and try reconnecting the electrovalve...

It may have been disconnected for any number of reasons. Only one way to find out...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Thanks jim.. You know. Wireing does NOT bother me at all! We make wireing looms at work anyway....:lol:

Paul :lol:

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
lexi
(Donor 2020)

Post by lexi »

Good work Paul. Hope you get mot and then some fun driving it.

Hard to know what else to do with rust on these cars. Do you rebuild them by welding in new metal. It wouldn't faze me doing that as I would rather weld and fab than squeeze my large hands into the Mole Traps that are on Xantias. :lol:

Its' down to how much you prize the car....God knows they aint worth real money.

Ah ! but will this change?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Well.. unfortunally.. all the "Free" work has now been done, Ive come to a stand still...

I need a 4th tyre for the alloy
Replacement bumper and passenger mirror cap both painting
An MOT
Insurance
Road tax

So I have NO chance at all getting her on the road in two weeks :-(

On another note - with MASSIVE thanks to RedDrawfs...he has a post showing ABS pin outs on the ECU.

So this evening I did a Pin check and found that the Rear PAssenger Sensor is not showing... All the others are.. this means the car actually needed all 4 sensors!

Anyway.. I took some startup pictures of my NEXT blog.

Cheers
Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a shame Paul but at least the work is done now and she'll be ready for when the pocket allows...
lexi wrote:Ah ! but will this change?
Yes it will. Just you wait until they're properly appreciated, officially get 'classic' status and they are rare.

Look what's happened to both the XM and BX now the classic press now officially recognise them as classics :)

The Activa and V6 values will go through the roof..
Jim

lexi
(Donor 2020)

Post by lexi »

The Activa and V6 values will go through the roof..
I love that optimism Jim :lol:

If they get to the 3 grand mark in a few years we will have spent that on parts alone to keep one on the road! :roll:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote: I love that optimism Jim :lol:
Yup, guilty as charged :) I'm an optimist, in all areas of my life. Niggles some people to distraction at times, I can tell you...

I know someone who is the most pessimistic person on the planet, by far. Everything is negative, every action will have a dire reaction, glass is half empty... Never takes a risk.. Trailing a black cloud of doom wherever he goes... and never has any fun either, he's like a fun vacuum cleaner - sucking the fun out of anything...

Even his car is safe and boring... A Focus.

Boy, do I have some fun winding him up with a bit of optimism and a positive attitude. One of life's little pleasures :D
Jim

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

In most lines of work I reckon you need optimism but with a bit of negativity (in the caution sense). "So what you're saying is that you're having problems streaming media to 25 laptops in that room with only a single cheap access point?"

Paul, I can only take the credit for putting the photos in the post. VertVega created the S1 pinout diagram, a bit of a ledge really (teen speak) after the old one went walkabouts.

Even though they are recognised as classics, no doubt I'd struggle getting a classic policy what with it being such a late one. A couple of friends saw it for the first time a couple of days ago, they've never seen one before and commented that the only thing it's missing is a Flux Capacitor and a lick of silver paint :lol:
In my eyes, it doesn't feel like a classic car yet. More like an exclusive one. What with it being a keeper, I'll be interested to see if I ever see it personally as turning into one.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair