Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

I was in a Fiesta a couple of weeks ago. The suspension was dreadful. Its nice to be in a conventially sprung car to put everything into perspective.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Ive just been out in it again, ive now found how to set the clock and ive changed the picture of an arrow to a picture of a Laguna Tourer on the satnav! :lol:

Well yes, but im well used to conventional cars too and its fairly firm, not very French, but then it does handle well and its not done many miles so it might free up a bit.

Many of my friends have cars riding an inch from the floor! Its not quite as bumpy as those lowered cars! But for a big cruiser it is firm, but not that uncomfortable, seats dont suit me very well though. Maybe im just not used to them, but the C5 is a far more comfortable car, nicer suspension, softer and more comfortable seats and more refined. Im sure i could get used to the Lagnua though, i really like its drive.

My thoughts do reinforce the fact that hydropneumatic suspended Citroens still have an advantage in comfort (amongst other things) over coil sprung cars though.

However I thought all recent Renaults had some form of tyre pressure monitoring? Ive just checked the tyres and the n/s rear was down to 13PSi, 21PSi less than stated and yet no warnings.

I do quite like the car, its very nice and drives well. The key-less entry is excellent! Certainly one to consider for the future, given the fact its a large hatch, which is something I like.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

However I thought all recent Renaults had some form of tyre pressure monitoring? Ive just checked the tyres and the n/s rear was down to 13PSi, 21PSi less than stated and yet no warnings.
Its a Renault, are you expecting it to work? :lol:
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

:lol:

Well no, and the indicator dash lights dont :lol:

New it was £22K ! :o

Most likely worth about £12-14 now, 6 months and 5K miles, no wonder you dont see too many of them about ....
Last edited by Citroenmad on 01 Mar 2011, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

Citroenmad wrote:However I thought all recent Renaults had some form of tyre pressure monitoring? Ive just checked the tyres and the n/s rear was down to 13PSi, 21PSi less than stated and yet no warnings.

I do quite like the car, its very nice and drives well. The key-less entry is excellent! Certainly one to consider for the future, given the fact its a large hatch, which is something I like.
Nope, much fewer Renaults have tyre pressure monitoring than say... 6 years ago. Only the Initiale version of the Laguna has the sensors as standard, it's optional on all other models. This was one of the biggest complaints with the Laguna II, despite what Renault claimed as being a huge triumph in road safety. My Mégane warns when the pressure is 3 PSi below the recommended figures, so the Laguna would have definitely told you.

I'm glad you're enjoying the Renault key card system, I'm really surprised Citroen haven't made any effort on this front, it's one of the things that puts me off. I never need to take my keys out of my pocket with the Mégane, it's such an unneccessary effort having to use keys now! I'm guessing this Laguna has "Hands Free"? (Touch the door handle with key in your pocket and it unlocks).
French is best.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Well that is interesting, i thought a few had adopted it now. I know Seats bigger cars have had it for a while now, working from the ABS sensors and wheel speed. So that is a bit of a shame that Renault dont fit them on more cars.

You know what, ive moved the Laguna around quite a bit while pakring th ecars tonight. I soon got used to leaving the keys in my pocket and opening the car then starting it while they were still in my pocket. I went to move a C5 and thought how much effort! Press the button on the key, press the other button to flip the key blade out, stick the key in the ignition and so on. How lazy is that though ?!?!?!

Mind im very used to auto headlamps and wipers now, turning the switches in the C1 seems like effort :lol:

Oh, i very much like the auto handbrake too, missed that feature from our old Scenic II, more cars should have it, an excellent feature. Though id be the first to complain if it went wrong!

Cars are making people increasingly lazy! :lol:

When you think about it though, it is a big improvement for so many reasons. Less likely to loose your keys as they are always in your pocket, no keys clattering against the dash or your legs when driving etc etc. Its so easy to use too.

I did wonder how close the key has to be to the car, as our keys hang up quite near the back door which leads into the garage. But the car can not be opened with the key still hanging up. Which would be a bit daft!

It does have 'hands free' in that case. Unlocks as soon as you go for the door handle and it locks when you walk away from it or you press the small button on the door handle. I also like the starter button, ive missed one of those!

It seems to have an economy mode like the C5 though, fiddling on with its menus and it goes off, within a few minutes this happens. I cant seem to get the full ignition on as i could in the Scenic II by holding down the starter button either.

I thought there was a fault with the rear wiper, as it was in the off position on the stalk but it was still going, you have to go back to the wiper position and then off, a spring switch a bit like the fog light switches on the stalks.

Im sure if i had to own it and live with it id get to like the car very nicely.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

R9UKE wrote:
Citroenmad wrote: The ride is very firm, everything is felt through the car, but bigger bumps are not too jarring, just harsh. This car doesnt even have the big wheels, only 16".
Surely the fact that you drive a Hydractive Citroën everyday makes this an unfair judgement? EVERYTHING is bound to feel firm. I would love to see your reaction driving my Mégane!
It does indeed spoil you for other cars. I whinge on that my C5 is too firm but I had to collect my daughter's Civic yesterday, been MOTed and had some bits done to it (new ignition switch as it would be hard to start and cut out at 70mph :shock: ) Also new brake pipes and fuel lines :(

I got a lift down in a 1700 Puma at fairly high speeds.
Very crashy (not lowered)

I drove the Civic out of the compound and the brakes failed fairly catastrophically, took it back and the pipe had split* :shock:
Got a ride home in an X5 - 4L I believe.
not terribly impressed and the ride was very poor - a C6 would trash it completely!

Had a re-run today, down in the Puma, back in the Civic.
Again, very poor suspension. I don't recall my Accord being anywhere near as uncomfortable.

Was very pleased to get back in the C5 for a bit of late night shopping, even if the roads were closed and there was a ridiculous detour, made all the worse by me taking the wrong exit and adding five miles to it.

*apparently a defect in the pipe, they stripped out ALL the brake pipes again and replaced them with pipe from a different source.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes they really do take some beating dont they Steve. Even the C5s whcih people find firmer than the older big Citroens are still way ahead of the coil sprung cars for comfort alone. Thats without the handing and safety benefits self-leveling brings and the adjustable ride heights for increased practicality.

I do like Pumas though, been so tempted to get one but the rot has well and truly set in to most of them now. Would be a nice toy as they are great to drive.

At least the pipe split at a convenient time! Could have been quite nasty if not.

Last year i had just taken a Saxo for an MOT, as i drove out of our drive to delivery it back to its owner the brake pedal hit the floor. I tried pumping the brake pedal but it was no use. I got out the car and stood in a huge puddle of brake fluid, which had came from a split rear brake cylinder. Despite the fact i had not been near the rear brakes. I thought this was a very opportune time for it to have given up, better then than doing 70mph towards slowing traffic or something :o
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Here it is , the hire car:

(My C5 needs a good clean! Over 1200 miles in two weeks since its last wash ...)

The front view is quite nice, but im not that keen on the rest of its styling. C5 looks better :roll:

It seems shorter than the C5 hatchback, even though the Laguna Tourer is longer than the Laguna hatch. The boot is much smaller than the C5 estates, it cant take any where near as much luggage, which is what its needed for. Boot is narrower and its not as deep, mainly due to the rear end styling.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

It looks beautiful, minus the boring alloy wheels.

As with the previous Laguna, the Sport Tourer actually looks sexier than the hatch!

I know what you mean by all these automatic sensing features. I had to turn my headlights on for the first time in quite a while this evening...
French is best.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

The wheels are a real disappointment! 16" wearing 205/60/16, narrower and taller than the C5s, which wears 16"s but suits them better.

Im coming around to its looks a little, really no good as an estate car though. Renault need to make a huge estate again, as do Citroen!

Does your Laguna now have auto lights & wipers?

Ive recently set my sisters C5 back to auto lights, she doesnt like them so they were off. I got bored of turning them on! Mind of its own that car at the moment, its favorite radio station is BBC2 (unfortunately!) and its taken the speed warning off which was set to 80. Oh well!

As does the Laguna, despite setting the clock, every time the car is started the time is something totally random!
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

I agree, back to the days of the Laguna Family - estate with two extra seats facing out the back!

No, the Dynamique model doesn't have auto wipers or lights. The Privilege and Intiale have auto wipers, but bizarrely, auto headlights weren't introduced until 2004.

Why doesn't your sister like the auto lights? Nobody in my family has them deactivated thankfully, I hate features like that not being used!

It's funny what you say about the Laguna resetting the clock. i got into mine this morning and all the trip computer data had reset itself. Renault and their electrics!!!
French is best.
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

Glad they gave you a decent car in the mean time, dad had the displeasure of a Vauxhall Insignia when someone wrote off his picasso.
I do miss my 51 Laguna II, the first shape to me was so much better, the Megane nose didn't suit it, and the one you've got looks very VW to me.

R9, were any of the first shape fitted with reliable diesels?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

You're right, the first Laguna IIs were the best looking. Unfortunately, they were only ever available the 1.9 and 2.2 dCi... so I would never touch a diesel version, they're just a ticking time bomb! The facelifted one got the 2.0 dCi which is far better, plus certain models got the electronic parking brake, I wouldn't rule one out altogether. They're really cheap now too!

Can't beat the original 2.2D fitted to the first Laguna in 1994 - a whopping 85 BHP and no turbo to blow up :D
French is best.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, i remember those, i think some 406 estates were available with a rear seat conversion too. Ive even seen aftermarket conversions in Xantia and Xm estates. It would be some kinf of torture to ask anyone to sit in the boot of a Laguna III Tourer, Peugeot 407 SW or a C5 Tourer.

If you want a truely huge estate now, you need to go to Skoda (Superb) or Mercedes (E-Class). Most other estates i can think of are much smaller on the inside, making them virtually pointless.

Shame, i thought it would have had auto lights and wipers on that.

Ive no idea why she doesnt like auto lights, she just prefers to turn them on and off herself. Has has been complaining about me turning them back to auto on her C5, but im not taking them off or telling her how to either. She has been quiet about them - I think she is still turning them on and off despite it doing it itself though!

Well maybe its character, or maybe its just annoying ...

The Laguna III is far too stylish and interesting looking to look like anything wearing a VW badge! I think it does look quite 'Renault' it does have lots of hints at the previous Laguna in my opinion.

Are auto handbrakes reliable on the whole, Luke? I have heard that to replace the handbrake cables on a Scenic II requires the replacement of the motor and is £600? Might well be untrue ...

Wow, 85bhp, they didn't over do that did they!
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10