Toby's Activa and 406 Coupe

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

admiral51 wrote: im pretty sure its going to be a job that you will absolutely love.
Yes, and for all the right reasons too. You'll feel that you're doing something that keeps the site running and that you're doing something valuable and very worthwhile; with that comes a feeling of great job satisfaction and that's priceless.

In turn it'll motivate you, not only at your place of work but in your personal life and for those jobs on the cars.

I've worked in the support/maintenance field all my life and 35 years on I still love it even if these days it's software support and maintenance. It's all the same at the end of the day and just as satisfying as it always was whether it's fixing a diesel genset or fixing a bug that makes a piece of software better for it's operator to use...

Go for it Toby and wishing you all the very best :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I've worked at Fawley (commuted from Reading in a BX TD - Citroen link 8-) ) in the past (office based), and I currently work on the refinery / petrochem complex in Grangemouth. For people with engineering bent, they are amazing places, although usually they just hum quietly (or not so quietly in some places :?) but there are myriad jobs to go at. I'm still office based in the projects department, but get out on site from time to time - it's nice to see the stuff we draw on bits of paper in real life.

It can all go horribly wrong though - some may remember a large explosion here at Grangemouth in 1987 that all but destroyed the hydrocracker unit. By all accounts they found part of the low pressure separator that exploded 3/4 of a mile down the forth :shock: There are large forces at work!
Richard W
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thanks for the wishes all. I am currently waiting to hear back so fingers crossed. I need the job as I have become very annoyed at my present one.

Not much to update with my fleet. The Coupe is now insured, I will wait til I've been driving it for a few days before I form a proper opinion but early indications are very encouraging.

The insurance on the Activa runs out on Tuesday and then it's coming off road for a couple of months. This is so I can get the money together to insure it and it also gives me an opportunity to get the list of jobs I want to do done. Will be cleaning and greasing the HC's and the roll corrector. I also want to get the cambelt done on it as I have no record as to when it was last done. Then there are various other little jobs like the outside temp sensor etc. Hopefully I can do this as well as the little jobs on the Coupe

Hopefully after this it can go back on the road and will be better than ever. Progress will be reported here, rest assured :lol:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Very nice looking pair of PSA cars you have there 8-) I wouldnt mind either of them :lol:

Good juck with your job situation, hope it goes well for you :)

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thanks Chris

Been a little while since the last update....

The Activa hasn't been used recently. The insurance ran out so it's been sat there. I'm not keen on this idea as the concensus seems to be that lack of use contributes to ram failure. Its going to have some work done anyway.

The Coupe has been in daily use and I'm quite frankly impressed by it's fuel consumption. Certainly better than the Activa :twisted:. It's currently hovering around 25mpg and that is around town and not even trying. I think that is remarkable for a 3.0 V6 in a car that isn't exactly light.

Now, the Coupe's handling :wink:... the last few weeks I've had a niggle that all was not well. Over certain bumps and cambers the back end seemed very loose indeed. I was concerned that bushes were completely shot. As it turns out, the pressures were slightly low. I checked them and corrected them and now it is much better. It seems to be of popular opinion that the Coupe is very sensitive to tyre pressure. It can now be driven with gusto and is quite fun. Not a patch on the Activa though and you are still very much aware that it is steel sprung. That said, it is comfortable when cruising.

After having a few down weeks I've had some news that has motivated me. I'll come to that in a minute but it has meant I've got on with choosing the tools I need to buy. I've cut the list down slightly so that I've got the essentials. I can then build from there.

I've also created a list of jobs and niggles for both cars that I want to get done. Hopefully I can get cracking on these next week when I'm off work....

The Activa needs it's cambelt done, the HC's and RC cleaning and lubing and then various small jobs. The Coupe also needs it's cambelt done and once again, small jobs and cosmetic work. Of course waterpumps and aux belts will be changed. I just need to find somewhere to get the aux belt tensioners and pulleys from. Hopefully I can get all of the jobs on the Activa done and then put it back on the road. Only thing I need to do is source a solid crank pulley :roll:

And so to my news. I've been waiting a couple of weeks now for a reply from Fawley. I recieved a letter today asking me for an interview! :D I know its not the job offer and only the interview but to say I'm pleased is an understatement. I'm sure around 200 people applied and to be one of those to get through to the interview stages makes me very happy indeed!
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

Nice one on the interview Toby!
Really pleased for you :D
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Best of luck with the interview Toby :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Toby, that's great news :D :D Fingers crossed the interview turns into a job. Just tell them you own an Activa and a V6 406 Coupe and the job will be yours!!!
Toby_HDi wrote:I'm not keen on this idea as the concensus seems to be that lack of use contributes to ram failure.

Got some news on that. See my blog a bit later. Just about to do an entry...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

Excellent news Toby!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thanks all. I will let you know how it goes.

I'm really glad as it seems to be the spur I need to get on with the jobs. I'm going to treat myself to some new ramps as well as some overalls! :lol:
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Congratulations and good luck with the interview Toby! When and where is it to be held?
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thank you Mike.

It is to be at the Fawley site itself. Monday 19th. Seems to include the actual one on one interview, a tour of the site a few other things.

I have come across a slight problem though, they have asked for me to take an example of work I feel proud of to demonstrate my practical skills. Now I'm not sure how I can do this. The only thing that has occured to me is to provide a documented cambelt change on the Activa, using photos and some narrative that perhaps might suffice. It could also come in handy as a How to for the FCF. Do we think this will suffice? Or are there any other suggestions that may be better?

On the subject of cambelt changes, where can I get the aux belt tensioner from? Its £80 from Citroen. GSF list the idler pulley but not the tensioner.
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I'm not sure what the remit is exactly but how about demonstrating your willingness and capability to learn by showing all that you've accomplished purely from internet research and forum participation?

Cambelt change is a good choice but also demonstrating an understanding of the unique hydraulic system should be a big advantage for this job, I would have thought?

Tell them you brought the work to show them but they'll have to follow you out to the car park to see it :lol:

As for GSF, give them a call, I'm fairly certain they do stock the tensioner.
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

True Mike, a good idea. Not sure how I'd go about that one though.

Again, the hydraulic system. How do I go about it?

Unfortunately it's the Coupe that is being used at the moment.

I'll give them a ring Mike. Got a week off now so I might go pay them a visit actually.
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

Have you downloaded a copy of the Citroen Technical Guide?
A very interesting read...I've heard :lol: , I still haven't read more than 2 or 3 pages. Should help understanding it all. It could also be about the knowledge you have ready to apply to a situation if something does give on the Activa/hydraulic side of things as well as what you have already done, what Mike said really.

Will you have to manufacture any custom tools to replace the cambelt?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair