Toby's Activa and 406 Coupe

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Toby_HDi

Toby's Activa and 406 Coupe

Post by Toby_HDi »

Right, it's about time I started this blog now.

I've posted a few poor quality pictures of the Activa a while back but now have some half decent ones, they are not great as I'm not that adept with a camera but they should be better than the last. Now have some of the newly acquired Coupe too :lol:

Few things needing to be done with both, after all, they are PSA vehicles :roll:

I thought the handbrake needed doing on the Coupe but alas, it was my grandad not pulling the lever up far enough. So thats fine. It does need a cambelt kit and waterpump soon for my own peice of mind and hopefully I will pluck up the courage and obtain some locking tools to get this done. Other than that it is minor niggles, the multi-function screen has some dodgy pixels, the rear tow-eye cap is missing and it could just do with a clean in and out. Small crack in rear bumper and scratch along passenger door, nothing that can't be sorted out I don't think.

I'm just waiting for payday so I can insure it. My little accident the other week has had an effect on my premiums :cry: but I'll grin and bear it as I love cars and don't tend to spend my money on much else (apart from copious amounts of food!)

Considering I took such a risk with the Coupe by buying it on ebay without going to look at it I feel I've done very well with this. Collected it from Bristol and it came back no problems, using much much less fuel than the Activa :twisted:. It seems to have been well looked after.

Speaking of the Activa, bought in a similar fashion from ebay although only from Southampton this one, I got it for a bargain price. Seller didn't know what he had. It has had new spheres on so all are good now. Jobs to do: Hydraflush and brake bleed, clean and lube all correctors and clean up some cosmetic work. I will also, at some point, redo the Hydractive ECU and just tidy it all up. Some will say this is pointless as it's working fine, but I know its a bit untidy and it niggles me :lol: It too needs a damn good clean!

It keeps plodding on even though it drinks fuel, but I don't mind I knew they were thirsty when I bought one. Everytime I drive it, it feels special. Knowing I can steam into a corner most have to brake for without it rolling is magic. It does occasionally roll a little though, hence cleaning all the correctors. One other thing it needs is some new tyres. I've now got an excuse to get two rear ones as I picked up a puncture on the way to pick the Coupe up. It was coming off the rim when I got out to check as something was rumbling :shock:

Both cars very much work in progress though. So watch this space! :sprint:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

What was that FCF saying - "Once green blooded, always green blooded" or something like that :lol:

Nice to see some pictures of your new cars Toby!

Which one will you be bringing to the first CCC rally of the season? :wink:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

red_dwarfers wrote:What was that FCF saying - "Once green blooded, always green blooded" or something like that :lol:

Which one will you be bringing to the first CCC rally of the season? :wink:
It's spot on Kev, ever since my HDi, Xantias and Citroens in general have had a strange pull on me.

As to which I will bring, I'm not sure. I've not had this welcome dilemma before :lol:
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Toby

Both cars looking very nice,twice as much fun and twice as many headaches :lol:

Any more news on the job front.Have you decided to go for the Fawley job

Colin
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thanks Colin, certainly is a few niggles to sort. Nothing too major though apart from cambelts. It's just finding the motivation to do anything which I'm severely lacking at the moment.

I'm getting really annoyed with my current job if I'm honest. I won't go into too much detail but a lot of it is management short sightedness. I've applied for the Fawley job and am off for some aptitude tests on Tuesday morning in Southampton. Hopefully all goes well.
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Toby_HDi wrote:I've applied for the Fawley job and am off for some aptitude tests on Tuesday morning in Southampton. Hopefully all goes well.
Excellent :D All the very best for success in that one Toby....

Fingers crossed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

Toby_HDi wrote:Thanks Colin, certainly is a few niggles to sort. Nothing too major though apart from cambelts. It's just finding the motivation to do anything which I'm severely lacking at the moment.

I'm getting really annoyed with my current job if I'm honest. I won't go into too much detail but a lot of it is management short sightedness. I've applied for the Fawley job and am off for some aptitude tests on Tuesday morning in Southampton. Hopefully all goes well.
With motivation I reckon little bits of it will come with the warmer weather, also its a good idea to start doing some small easy jobs to start off with its surprising how that gives motivation!

Good luck with the Fawley job Toby!
Are you sticking with a similar position that you're in at the moment or going for a change?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote:With motivation I reckon little bits of it will come with the warmer weather, also its a good idea to start doing some small easy jobs to start off with its surprising how that gives motivation!
We certainly had good motivational weather yesterday :D It got me quite motivated and it was amazing just how much seemed to get done even though I was working under a handicap as my next blog entry will attest!

Good advice to do some nioce easy ones first to get in the mood....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

CitroJim wrote: Good advice to do some nioce easy ones first to get in the mood....
Be careful how you word that Jim, teenagers and 20 somethings have a terrible habit of firstly understanding a phrase in, shall we say, a slightly different light :lol: :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

No danger of that Kev, cars are much easier to maintain than women!

The Fawley job is completely different. At present, I drive and do deliveries as well as help in store. Fawley job is for a Maintainence Engineer to keep thinks at the refinery ticking over. It's a 3 year apprenticeship but with better pay than what I'm currently on. Also means I can work towards gaining a variety of engineering qualifications and maybe even go on to get a degree.

As for easy jobs, nothing too stressful except the cambelts, it really is just finding the motivation to get up and do the first one, after that I think it becomes easier.
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Toby_HDi wrote:No danger of that Kev, cars are much easier to maintain than women!
No argument there :lol: :twisted: And cheaper too.... And, generally, they're more predictable too...

Kev, sorry, I'll take more care in how I word things for the benefit of our younger readers :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of a story of a girl who went into a bar and asked the barman for a double-entendre....

He gave her one....
Jim

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

Sorry Jim, I just couldn't resist! :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Must be how my mind (or sense of humour) works Xac..

Maybe it's a more of an audio joke....
Jim

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:Must be how my mind (or sense of humour) works Xac..

Maybe it's a more of an audio joke....
It did make me laugh though :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Toby

Hope things go well for you tomorrow.If you do manage to get accepted then im pretty sure its going to be a job that you will absolutely love.
Not going to try and teach you to suck eggs on this but i do go to Fawley pretty regularly and they do take H&S very very seriously :)

Somewhere,either at work or here at home i have a book/cd of the course i had to take for a CPCS card(Construction Plant Competence Scheme).Pretty sure you will be put through a course similar to this when you get accepted.It deals with working in confined spaces/height/safety equipment etc etc.Ill dig it out for you if you are interested

Colin