Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

HDI

Post by HDI »

couple of pix of the Renault 4 I mentioned above. I didn't take these myself , I asked someone to take them before the buyer collected the car as I wasn't going to be around when he arrived , so composition could be better !

Was amazing to drive , tight as a new car !! Took it for it's first MOT and it failed on the indicators flashing too slowly !! Had a look at the flasher relay and it was nothing like anything I'd seen before so , I disconnected but left it in place and just substituted a 6 volt motorcycle type , perfect !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
lexi
(Donor 2020)

Post by lexi »

Love R4s, cool and very useable especially the more sporty engine versions. There is a guy on the net who has a welding forum. He has rebuilt a few chassis etc and is quite a fan of the 4.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! That is one gorgeous R4 HDI :D :D :D

Those very early ones are the best looking of all. That grille (which was about the only major cosmetic change on later models) looks absolutely perfect on the car and very elegant.

You and Chris have given all of us R4 fans a huge treat :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI

Post by HDI »

Thanks , it was a little beauty ! I really miss it :cry: There was NO rust on it ANYWHERE , I mean NONE !! It was so good it must be someones pride and joy now , I often wonder where it is !
Driving it was a sort of emotional experience as it was not fast but so willing to give it's best you felt warm with appreciation of it's efforts !
At 60 on the motorway it was quite happy and made me feel content with that pace , and I always had a smile when I reached my destination :)

Really would quite like another , but they are soooo scarce in any condition , let alone like that one !!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Thats lovely, really nice condition. The early ones look superb, as time went on they got a little more ordinary ending up with the huge plastic grill.

If you get a rusty one they do rot, i looked at one a few years ago and had i have been heavy footed i would have gone straight through the floor. It was that rotten there was holes under the drivers floor mat :o

I bet the scrappage scheme has seen off a few R4s too. Ive heard of a few 2CVS going for scrap too. I saw a mint 2cv on the back on a truck a few weeks back. It was stunning but the back had been crushed, shame. Wouldnt mind a 2cv, im a member of the 2cv club, though im not sure why as i dont have one, but still, the magazine is nice :lol: Looking forward to driving the raid tan hill route again in a week, last year was excellent, hundreds of 2cvs, nice scenery and a nice final location. Though there might be snow this time.

Anyway, the traction is getting under way again it has both front wings on now, took us ages to get the lined up correctly and no doubt some more adjustments will be needed when we come to fit the grill. So its looking a bit more like a car again now. Might do a bit more in the morning but i cant see me being up too early!

The C15 is now emptied of traction belongings so we can start to use that again soon. Ive been tidying the garage which i couldnt do since the car was in, so everything is coming together at last :lol:

Oh, happy new year everyone :D

Edit: im the first person to post on here in 2010, thats a bit sad :oops:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Here are some pictures with the 6H next to my C5 this morning, yes its snowed again!

We got both front wings on last night, still need to sort out the wiring as the headlights come on when it should just be sidelights. Obviously we have some wires crossed :lol:

When our dinner has had chance to rest we will be sorting the wiring, putting the grill and bumper back on. Then thats about it until we get the Xm back with the bonnets inside. Need to give the brakes a once over, but at least its getting somewhere close to being finished. Its been off the road over 3 and a half years now. Will probably get it MOT'd in a month or two, its too salty on the roads at the moment.

It needs a very good clean, 3.5 years of dust on it and it got went the other day before i could get it in the garage. Looks odd without its grill and bumper, its got no face!:

Its rear spheres are currently off and its stood on blocks of wood so it doesnt settle into the low position. Thats why its an odd height at the back, not quite in high but not normal either. It actually stays in normal when parked quite a while, but when working on the engine its easier to have it propped up.

A quick picture of the inside, it looks a bit pink in the picture but its actually a deep red colour. The stuff on the floor is just some old dust seets, needs a bit of a tidy and hoover inside. It can actually seat 6 as the two benches are quite wide.

You dont get legroom like that anymore :lol:
Last edited by Citroenmad on 01 Jan 2010, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
HDI

Post by HDI »

Outstanding !! Thats in really superb condition. Will you be taking it to any shows or meetings this year , would love to have a close look at it ?

Whereabouts are you in the Northeast ? Used to live up there myself many years ago !
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

All being well we should have it at some of the events this year. Im going to try and make more of an effort to come to events, but they are always so far away. We would love to take it to this years classic car show at the NEC in november, will have to see if we can get space on the CCC or TOC stand. Though why a classic car show is in November ive no idea, wouldnt want to drive it down if there is salt around, might have to trailer it.

We should have it at the weatherby CCC event, almost certainly, im there every year anyway. It would be very nice to bring it down to the national, so hopefully we will do that.

We have pictures throughout its restoration, which was 20 years ago now. However its not done a huge mileage since then as you can guess and its always parked in a warm garage, used on only the nicest of days. So its still fantastic. The interior was done a bit later than that, in red leather with red carpets.

Hopefully ill see some of you FCF members at events this year, would be nice to meet some people. :)

Chris
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
HDI

Post by HDI »

Used to live just down the road from Wetherby , little place called Sherburn in Elmet. Will use your Traction as an excuse to get upto the CCC event then !! Can also drop in and see some of my friends up there.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

A couple of questions about the Big 6H:
What sort of brakes does it have? I presume they are not HP.
I saw the picture of this car on the first page of the thread with the 5th wheel fitted. Do you know what on earth Citroen actually hoped to achieve with that configuration?
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

It was a road research car for testing the skid resistance of road surfaces. So it would go around the country testing dfferent surfaces, mainly motorways. At the time the company had three tractions doing the same job, however ours was the only hydraulic one and its 5th wheel had a tap into the rear suspension to raise and lower the middle wheel. It also had a water pipe infront of the 5th wheel which was used to spray onto the tyre for wet tests. It had a big water tank on the roof for this purpose, a small seat in the rear where the person who operated the equipment would sit and the other side was the testing gear etc. In that first picture you can also make out the signs front and back warning of testing. The 5th wheel could be turned to increase friction.

So it wasnt a Citroen car it was used by the road research laboratories. Ive seen the vehicles they used after these and the ones after those, they eventually went onto trucks for the tests. It would appear that they now use trailers for these types of tests, which are still being used today.

Michelin also had similar cars, i know DS Safaris were used to test out the michelin tyres i believe. These cars had a similar set up to our traction with all the testing gear inside to measure when the wheels skids, what force etc and the 5th wheel.

You must have seen pictures of the massive DS Michelin developed to test out truck tyres? It would have the truck tyre in the middle like our traction had its 5th wheel but the DS itself had 10 wheels and two huge engines.

So these types of cars were made for tyre and road testing, ours was used for the roads. The equipment had been removed before we got the car, it had a big hole in the roof, no back seats and generally in a very bad condition.

74 RHD hydraulic 6Hs were built, ours was the only one which did this job. One of the other tractions which did the same job, but its not a hydraulic, is still around too, its a small boot version and was at the NEC classic car show in November. That too is now a conventional saloon car without its testing equipment.

The brakes are just drum brakes all round, non servo assisted.

Another interesting point about tractions in general is that they were one of the very first mass produced front wheel drive cars made. Some versions were also one of the earliest types of hatchbacks.

This is the company it used to belong to when it was new in 1955, http://www.trl.co.uk/75/ - if you look at picture 19 that is the other traction which did the same job, the non-hydraulic, small boot version which is still around. Unfortunately they dont have any pictures of our car, other than the one in the first page of this thread. Our 6H was a bit later than that car, i think thats a 1953 or 54, even though it says its in 55, notice it doesnt have a roof mounted water tank.

Its now obviously back to how it was from new out of the slough factory, just a family saloon car. The lever to move the rear suspension is in the boot, it has high, medium and low, no intermediate like on the later Citroen models.

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Wow, thats awesome! Bet it looks even better in the flesh, always liked the look of a traction, however that will have to be after ive got a cx and a DS!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I like that, go in age order backwards, at least you have a plan :lol:

No more change with the traction, might do a bit more tomorrow if the weater is bad, hope to have a day out with the dogs tomorrow, so ill see. Its been pretty grim today so might well stay in and fit the grill and bumper.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Eventually the Xm is back from the bodyshop, the guy we use isnt the quickest of workers but he does do a great job. I nearly forgot what it looked like as he has had it for 6 weeks!

The MOT ran out 4 weeks ago, though its had its test today and its passed, all is fine apart from the parking brake is a little weak. So we will have to look at that.

Its looking all the better for its fresh paintwork though, does actually look quite stunning. Its had the bonnet, mirrors, trim at back of bonnet, nose cone, and the passenger side repainted. Its looking lovely.

Its passenger side was two tone when we got it, the front half lookd S1 maroon and the back was original, so that was the main thing which needed to be sorted. I dont think it was from anything major, just a poor paintjob. So while it was in we thought it should have the other bits tidied.

Its probably going to be sor sale soon, ive had a good few PM's on here already about it. Ill let you all know when and how much when i get that sorted, as its not a rush to sell it at the moment. But space is getting tight and we no longer have a use for it, so it will need a new home soon.

Id love to keep it but its such a huge thing to store and we still have 10 car,s which is 4 too many :lol:

Might just take it out for a little trip actually :D
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote: Might just take it out for a little trip actually :D
Yes do, and enjoy. I'm about to do the same with my Activa :D

Sounds like a great job has been done on the XM. If you do sell, someone is going to get themselves a very nice one there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...