My "love" of all things xantia...and Xm...and Cx..

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Well i was going to at least buy the leak off pipe tomorrow, however on the way home (a 15 min journey) i kept getting warned about hydraulic pressure failure (i think thats what it said, the dot matrix is not that good) which was confirmed by a very bumpy ride and no LHM registering when i put it into high :( :(
BUGGER
Sadly its too wet to see what and where, hopefully ill find out tomorrow!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear Dave :cry: That leakage return can loose a fair old amount of LHM if it lets go. Hope it's just that.

Gareth and I noticed you were quite bouncy at the back when we saw you on that junction in Norwich on Monday. Looks like your rear spheres are a bit... What's the ride like?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Its difficult to asess the ride with it being a new (to me!) car, but having visually looked at the rear spheres, there is plenty of rust on them, so im anticipating that they will need to be replaced in the near future.

Hopefully it is just the leak off pipe, ill be ringing duff morgan tomorrow.

Im just waiting on martin to find me a special connector for my sphere pressure tester, then ill be able to test the lot! - Ill put pictures up once its done! 8)
GPZ500s
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Leak off pipe done, it was as easy as you said, i managed to resuse the metal clip.
It would appear that was what was causing the LHM loss, there was more than i thought all over the arch!

I rang up duff morgan and they had none, tried GSF and they had one on the shelf.
It only cost 10.13 + vat. So not too bad!
I also bought 3L of dexron 2 for 4.05+vat per litre. which i also thought was good!
Last edited by davetherave on 22 Oct 2009, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
GPZ500s
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Dave :D I had one go on my old 1.9TD and the fluid loss was quite colossal. Not a bad idea to do the other side soonish as if one is gone, the other one won't be far behind.

That was a good deal on the Dexron :D I'm sure we buyers of the exotic stuff in the auto-adaptives subsidise you people running old-school autos :lol: :lol:

I believe there is a fluid filter on the 4HP18 that is got at easily(ish) by removing the gearbox sump. No a bad idea to service it; not sure if it's a cleanable filter or a replacement job. Deanxm will know for sure.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Ive another couple of jobs i can tick off the list now!
Ive managed to do the accumulator! Used a srap wrench and a massive bar, and it came off with no bother (i also removed a couple of pipes to get to it!

Secondly i declare the care biotuned, or i have just added a heat exchanger, im looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Its just in time as it must be nearing 100% vegatable oil now!

Ill hopefully get some pictures up tomorrow!
GPZ500s
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

Nice one Dave!
Im looking forward to seeing these pictures 8)
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Gents

There is a guide to changing the fluid on CXM that should help you out, i would post up a link but as was pointed out to me by admin here you have to be a cxm member to see it.
The filter has a round cover which is secured by 3 10mm bolts and is on the bottom of the gearbox, you cant really miss it once the cover is removed but make sure you push it back in untill you feel a click or fluid can bypass it which isnt good. The filter can just be cleaned in petrol as it is pretty much the same as the lhm ones.

I have a funny feeling ive already said this, hope im not repeating myself Dave :roll:

Im glad you got that LHM leak sorted anyway, when you posted up saying it had dropped all its oil i was thinking of the dreaded rear pipes where they go over the subframe, thankfully not though :D

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Cheers dean, ill have to have a look at the guide, ive got 3l of fluid, will that be enough?, im sure i read somewhere (after i bought my 3) that i would need 5!

next job is an engine oil change!, then i need to treat the rust underneath!
GPZ500s
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

If you drain the box via the plug in the diff housing and pull the filter out you will need about 2.7 to 3.2 litres depending on the temperature of the box when you drain it so it will be close, then of course i would change the oil again in a few hundred miles if its dirty because of the Torque converter hanging onto a bit of dirty old oil.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good work with the accumulator Dave and with the price of Dexron being what it is, it'll be no great financial hardship to give the 'box a number of partial changes to get rid of all the old oil. Us 4HP20 and AL4 owners have to apply for a mortgage before undertaking even one oil change in ours :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Us 4HP20 and AL4 owners have to apply for a mortgage before undertaking even one oil change in ours Laughing Laughing Laughing
It amazes me just how expensive that esso stuff is, surely it cant be that special? i would have thought it would have just been a high temp oil to resist breaking down over the long periods of time that they specified between fluid changes or is there more to it than that?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I think it is the essence of cat in it that makes it expensive Dean :lol:

No idea why but it does seem quite special. It might well have a high viscosity index (like LHM) so it does not thicken or thin appreciably across a wide temperature range. The strange arrangement of the overhead sump in the 4HP20 would most likely need a high-VI oil for it to work properly.

Cynically though, I guess the high cost ultimately comes down to the fact that only Esso make it and it's specified only for some ZF 'boxes found in expensive cars. Therefore I guess they feel they can get away with it. Captive audience and all that.

I doubt that Dexron is any less special but of course, almost every auto uses it (except ZF and Siemens) so normal market forces apply...
Jim

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Cynically though, I guess the high cost ultimately comes down to the fact that only Esso make it and it's specified only for some ZF 'boxes found in expensive cars. Therefore I guess they feel they can get away with it. Captive audience and all that.
I think so too, so no one else made an oil of the same spec then??? i wonder why that is, can you patent an oil??

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Well, i supose in a way im glad i have the older box then!
I shall of course be taking your advice Jim (id have to be dumb not to) and do a few partial changes.

I want that oil so clean i could bottle it and resell it! :twisted:
GPZ500s