My "love" of all things xantia...and Xm...and Cx..

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

davetherave

My "love" of all things xantia...and Xm...and Cx..

Post by davetherave »

Heres my first blog!
My obsession began when when my first car a fiesta was writen off (long story not my fault but technically was) there fore i was given the xantia that my grandad had given my dad. Yep it was owned by three generations!
I recieved it with a measly 190,000 miles on it (estimated due to broken odometer)
Then i thought wahey this things a diesel and with a little bit of research i soon decided to run it on the sticky stuff...
I then decided why not have a two tank system so bought a couple of xj6 valves and fitted them ready for the second tank.
This proved a bad idea, as on the way to catch a flight one of the valves unbeknown to me started letting in air.
Surprisingly the car carried on all be it jerking and below 30!
Last edited by davetherave on 26 Jun 2010, 13:28, edited 3 times in total.
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

Welcome aboard :)
If you're running on SVO or well treated WVO then you don't need to make any modifications, assuming it's a 1.9TD with bosch pump, which 99.999% of 1.9TDs are.
If it's not a bosch (such as the 2.1TD or some of the 1.9D), then don't even think about using anything but diesel.
From the sounds of things though (running with air getting into the fuel system) you've got a bosch and they're tough things that like nothing more than to run and run :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Well treated WVO, yeah its a bosch, this blog is a work in progress the above is just my first xantia... im currently on the second.
GPZ500s
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

I left my last post going 30 on a motorway and failing to catch a flight because of the duff valves.
My dashboard looked like a space ship with my inline heater switch and valve switches.

After this incident i had to work out a way to get home, this is another long story which involved borrowed tubing from another country and a 3 5 litre diesel cans in the passanger foot well--- not much fun, at least my girlfriend didnt think so..

Normal people would give up on wvo, but nope i kept the car all the way to an estimated 250000 miles untill i scrapped it for a mk 2 xantia.

On this one i decided to not cut fuel lines and make holes in it. Instead i just replace the fuel filter every month or so and it runs very well.
On my list of things to do is put the heater back on, but i dont want to be cutting too many holes in the dash.

I fulfilled my dream of leather seats too, travelling a fair way too rip them out myself and make sure i got the right wiring. They now look rather good, and im continuing on my mission to fit as many extra factory options as possible! This may be a somewhat slow mission...
GPZ500s
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Well i now have the front mudflaps fitted, ill have to get one of those photo bucket thingys to put dome pictures up.

Thing is the list seems never ending! Well id get bored if not, its now due for its 6k oil change ive got 2 brand new rear spheres to go on soon so that it will be nice and soft for the epic journey to the south of france :) .
GPZ500s
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

davetherave wrote: Thing is the list seems never ending!
You're never bored with a Xantia Dave :lol: There's always one more job to do but serriously, a little and often TLC on them is what keeps them very healthy and reliable. It's a mantra I've practiced for years now and never actually properly service any of mine. Just check them thoroughly every week and do anything there and then that looks like it might need doing. Touch wood, my Xantias have always been 100% reliable...

When are you off to France?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

I wasnt being serious when i said id get bored! i couldnt possibly!
Off to south of france in august, will probably be its longest journey yet, hence im servicing everything that can be serviced on it!
GPZ500s
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Just a couple of pics now i have found out how to!

GPZ500s
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, you can't beat a nice leather interior Dave :D makes all the difference, both in looks and comfort...

Have you fed the seats with some good leather food? I do mine regularly and it really does bring them up nicely. Autoglym make some good stuff.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

I do love the leather, excellent investment!

I am feeding them with a combination of shoe polish to dye the worn bits, and a cheaper version of the autoglym ( ie tescos) but it does the same job.

How often do you feed yours? Ive been doing mine quite regularly as they had been sat in a scrapper since xmas and abused before that!
GPZ500s
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

In the 2.1 Dave, about once every six weeks as the car works hard as "Dad's taxi" I'll also exceptionally do them if the kids have been in the car in very wet weather or I've driven it with oily overalls on!

The Activa I do much less frequently as it gets very little use and only on fine days and when smartly dressed.

I find it's good to do the seats and then take the kids for a ride. They complain they slide around all over the place but they do a good job of giving the seats a final buff though :lol: :lol:

My 2.1 seats came from a scrapper that had stood for a long time and they were very hungry. To get them initially good, I gave them a good clean with leather cleaner and then fed them weekly until they came good.

I should take out shares in leathercare products as I have three cars with leather interiors :roll: :lol:

Did you also get the leather rimmied steering wheel to go with your interior Dave? Some don't like them but I far prefer them.
Jim

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

I was going too, however it had a chunk of foam out of it and the
lovely owner of the scrapyard (who reminised about the days when his
scrapyard used to be a police no go area) wanted 40 quid for it, so i
declined as my wheel is fine!

Im doing mine pretty much weekly too, and re applying the cream shoe polish- it really is magic!
GPZ500s
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

A very nice addition to your Xantia 8) and quite a find too i would have thought? Cant imagine Xantia leathers are all too easy to come by now.

I prefer non leather steering wheels, i dont like the feel of a leather wheel. Plus, have you heard it said that more germs live on a steering wheel than on a toilet seat … just imagine what lives in that stitching! :lol:

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

Citroenmad wrote:I prefer non leather steering wheels, i dont like the feel of a leather wheel. Plus, have you heard it said that more germs live on a steering wheel than on a toilet seat … just imagine what lives in that stitching! :lol:
Mexican Flu? :lol: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Lol i suddenly have an urge to clean my wheel.

The seats were very hard to come by! have been trying for some time, but all the ebay scrappers are after £200-300 for them!
And you have to be careful when buying as i nearly found out, the scrappers dont know that you need the wiring loom and connectors to power the chairs, and without them they are useless or at best an electrical pain in the ass.
ie if you can remove them yourself do so to preserve original wiring and parts!
GPZ500s