Anti-Sink & Regulator Spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

We have a case in the garage with a few spheres cut open, you can see the damage caused by running them too low on gas etc. Cant remember if there is a tripple diaphram one, its been a while since iv seen it!

Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Clogzz wrote:9812, 5293.03, sort of a part number.
9812 is the PR number or production date of the sphere = Sept20, 2003
5293.03 is the Citroen part number
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Thanks Anders, knowing how to tell how old a NOS sphere is is a bonus.

John
Xmexclusive
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Thanks a lot, Anders. Image

I never knew that spheres had a PR number, and it’s very useful to know.
As for 5293.03, it looked like half a part number to me.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Clogzz wrote:Thanks John and Jim ! :D :D

I learned about green balls when new rear sphere boxes said “Urepan – very hot and very cold countries”.
A mechanic at the time showed me old black rubbery diaphragms that had turned to goo.
He also had three-layered clear-coloured diaphragms that looked like they operated more like speaker cones than rubber membranes.
The three-layered diaphragms don’t like it cold, and aren’t used under the car, where in areas of the Nordic countries they may be in the frost for weeks on end.

We discussed diaphragms on Aussiefrogs with Simon Mandrake at the time, with links to the manufacturers; Bayer and Rhein Chemie; but I can’t dig up the topics because it’s become too slow there with animated advertising. :evil:
You may soon have Simon crawling under your cars, because the last he posted is that he was going to live in the UK. :lol:
Just a minor challenge :-) The bit about three layered diaphrams not liking cold and arn't used under the car, then can you explain how it is that the C5 hydractive + has four under the car and the C6 five?.
Another bit of data to be aware of, the multilayer diaphragm saucer shaped spheres have an internal spike to puncture the diaphragm if they get "too compressed"

Cachaciero
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

:mrgreen:

The C5 and C6 have the wide ovoid sphere where the diaphragm flexes less for the same displacement.
The cold reduces the ability to flex, so where the flexion is reduced because of the larger diameter, the immunity to cold is increased.
The Xantia’s green multi-layered sphere has the same size and shape as the rubbery sphere, where the diaphragm flexes comparatively more because of its smaller diameter.

The spike, I’ve read of before, but can’t see the benefit of suddenly going from a low sphere to a flat sphere.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Clogzz wrote::mrgreen:

------phragm flexes comparatively more because of its smaller diameter.

The spike, I’ve read of before, but can’t see the benefit of suddenly going from a low sphere to a flat sphere.
Money my friend money! Citroens price for a new sphere is extremely pricey.
Citroens explanation is if i understand the words correctly that it is a safety feature to prevent the sphere exploding. Personaly I prefer the money theory. Sphere gets a little flat, big bump oh ! theres another £140.00.

Cachaciero
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Thinking money too.
I’d rather expect an explosion from all that nitrogen being suddenly blown into the hydraulics.
Maybe it’s also a way to defeat the re-gassers.
I used to get my rubbery spheres re-gassed.
If they didn’t break during re-gassing, that was it … they’d made it.

The front spheres are still the original ones, 14 years old, and the front still has bounciness in it.
The only re-gasser where I’m now has retired, and the Citroën dealer is talking 4- to $A500, £200 plus per front strut sphere.
At that price, :evil: I’d rather get around on the back of a stolen donkey; and that’s probably coming anyway.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Clogzz wrote:Thanks John and Jim ! :D :D

I learned about green balls when new rear sphere boxes said “Urepan – very hot and very cold countries”.
A mechanic at the time showed me old black rubbery diaphragms that had turned to goo.
He also had three-layered clear-coloured diaphragms that looked like they operated more like speaker cones than rubber membranes.
The three-layered diaphragms don’t like it cold, and aren’t used under the car, where in areas of the Nordic countries they may be in the frost for weeks on end.

We discussed diaphragms on Aussiefrogs with Simon Mandrake at the time, with links to the manufacturers; Bayer and Rhein Chemie; but I can’t dig up the topics because it’s become too slow there with animated advertising. :evil:
To my understanding you have it right - both Urepan and Desmopan are used in "standard" single layer spheres, the only difference being their temperature ratings, the two materials operate most reliably in different temperature ranges, so you see one type being used for rear suspension and the other for front suspension, also depending on the climate of the area the car is sold in you will get different sphere types.

The multilayer (3 dimples) spheres have three layers - the two outer layers are Urepan or Desmopan, I can't remember which, (but only one type is used) while the 3rd layer sandwiched in between them is a thin non porous plastic like film, whose material name I've also forgotten. It is archived somewhere on Aussiefrogs...

I've noticed that cars sold in colder climates (like Christchurch in NZ) didn't come fitted with multilayer spheres at the front, whereas ones that were sold in the North Island usually were....
You may soon have Simon crawling under your cars, because the last he posted is that he was going to live in the UK. :lol:
Haha, well spotted...yes in July, Visa application permitting. Mind you I may not have a car to crawl under for quite some time...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Mandrake wrote:
Clogzz wrote:You may soon have Simon crawling under your cars, because the last he posted is that he was going to live in the UK. :lol:
Haha, well spotted...yes in July, Visa application permitting. Mind you I may not have a car to crawl under for quite some time...

Regards,
Simon
I'm sure we can find a few for you over here Simon :lol: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
foxtrotuk
My Cars: 1994 Xantia 1.8 8V Auto SX
1995 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX Manual (deceased)
1999 Xantia 2.0 16V Auto Exclusive
2000 Xantia 1.8 16v LX Manual

Re: Anti-Sink & Regulator Spheres

Post by foxtrotuk »

BK means Break (Brake?), ie, the Estate model, and BL means Berline, which is the Hatchback model. Also TT means "Tous Types", or All Types. Found that on a Finnish website using a translator, hope it helps.