FOUND the right Caliper rewind Tool for an Xantia.

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

FOUND the right Caliper rewind Tool for an Xantia.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, after much research conducted mostly by Vince a Manager @ GSF auto factors, we have found a compatable Caliper rewind Tool for the Citroen Xantia, THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH THE C5, sorry to shout but the C5 one has a left hand 3/8 thread not a right hand one. NOTE THIS DOES NOT FIT MY MK2 XANTIA after all that effort, please see the post below for further details on a tool which will fit the Xantia. sorry folks.

I hope it will save you a great deal of time when you find you can't wind in your caliper pistons on your xantia.

The tool as I said comes from GSF they are easy to find online for your local store and the part number is 98741. right handed 3/8 thread.
the cost is £18 plus VAT. so it shouldn't break the bank.
Once you have it hopefully pushing caliper pistons back will be much easier in future.

Once again I would like to acknowledge Vince for all of his help and research in finding a compatable tool for the xantia. =D>
Vince spent quite a lot of time asking his staff and other managers for information relating to this tool for the Xantia and all for free, I would also like to thank Steve for editing the photos for me so that we can identify the tool, Many Thanks.

Regards. Nigel. falling-out-with-my-car.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 22 Jul 2009, 16:46, edited 3 times in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

I havent paid him to say that honest... :P

The research was because i was sure i saw a Xantia specific tool on our system somewhere but it turned out to be the C5 one :roll:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Tx Nigel for the info.

... Vince I'd appreciate to see some pix of the C5 version of that tool ... 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Unfortunately I now have to report that this tool does not fit my MK2 Xantia caliper pistons.

If I were you I would forget this tool and go straight for a Laser tool with a number 12 piston rewind adapter for Citroen/renault.

the cost of the above from GSF was £18 + vat the adapter from Laser cost another £17 and I still need to use a 3/8 socket to use the GSF tool with the Laser adapter.

The laser tool is significantly cheaper.

Appolagies folks I was told by a forum member that the above would fit my Xantia so it is through no real fault of my own that the mistake occurred.

well at least you know now anyway.

best wishes Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

Recently bought one of LASER 3106 Piston Rewind Adaptor No. 12 on ebay for a lot lees than the prices quoted. Will look up the details and edit in here.

John
Xmexclusive
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

So using one screwdriver to twist while levering the piston back with another not good enough?

It's how I did mine on both Mk1 and Mk2 Xantias and several BXs before that.
falling-out-with-my-car

Nope absolutly useless Ive tried all manner of things to press my pistons back whilst turnning them and sometimes they get half way back and just refuse to move any more.

Ive even had the pistons out and cleaned them installing new seals at the same time.

sometimes they just refuse to go back and I change my front pads every year, I like to know that my brakes are tip top for winter.
maybe thats the problem the pistons arn't getting enough travel over time who knows?

anyway no point worrying about it Ive learnt my lesson took bad advice bought the tool and it didnt fit, just thought others would like to know before they ,make the same blunder, I bought the adapter and it works great, its cut the down the fiddly bit winding the piston back it takes seconds now very important where I live in the summer cause its nearly always threatening to rain.

of course thwere is always the clumsy pillock that will take your advice and pierce the piston seals with their screwdriver or a file or worse still injure themselves trying to bodge the job, better to give good advice on where to find the right tool for the job then no one will come back to you saying ahh but I used your technique and Ive damaged something.

regards Nigel. :D :D :D :D :D :D
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I have read this thread earlier. One day I have seen a similar tool in a shop and decided to buy it.
It was on the shelf until my first attempt to use it but it didn't fit to Xantia's caliper piston at all :(
I wanted to check and inform the case ... :? I saw that others have also noticed the same :lol: and thread
has been edited a couple of times.

My weekend project was modification of a Brake Caliper Piston Rewind Tool Adapter :roll: .
I used only Dremel rotary tool for this job.

Adapter seen from lower face, before modification:

'New' tool is ready :D and tested \:D/

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
falling-out-with-my-car

I guess piston sizes were always going to vary anyway, dependant on which make of calipers are in your particular vechicle.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

That's true, there are so many different sized piston :) and this I modified was
for a Volswagen xxx I guess. Now it is for my Xantia 8-)

Thank you for starting this thread and sending the first pics. Otherwise I would have never thought
of buying this tool because so far I have always managed to rewind the piston in :wink:

I used a little bit of imagination and some measurements and marked outer diameter of the adapter
with black pen before modification.

Here's the result pic showing how it fits the piston. There are four 'claws'.

I hope this will be helpful to others as well :D .
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well having done it without the correct tool, and it takes a while to do the long slow wind up :wink: the time saved with the correct tool, and when it also helps to stop any damage to the piston seal, means it is worth having, and using even more so when the tool is cheap!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Although I now have an air operated brake rewind kit that has an adaptor to fit almost any car, I used a crafty little dodge to rewind the pistons on my HDI.

The end of a 3/8" drive extension bar on a ratchet ! The 3/8" square end fits very neatly into the recess around the outer part of the piston and the ratchet allows pretty rapid winding back !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !