406 1.9TD Bad Starting

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gen_ii

Post by gen_ii »

thanks. will check it tomorrow
gen_ii

Post by gen_ii »

no fuel getting through any suggestions?
gen_ii

Post by gen_ii »

still having probs with 406. turning over but no fuel appears to be getting through. Took the priming bulb off and put liquid through it on bench. Liquid goes through both ways. Put bulb back on and took banjo union off injection bit but still no fuel.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gen_ii</i>

Hi john. yes the guy from the AA tried that and fuel was coming out when he loosened them.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So if as you say, there's no fuel coming through the primer bulb, how come the AA man found fuel at the injector unions?
gen_ii

Post by gen_ii »

not sure. fuel seemed to be getting through with aa man but when we tried it yesterday and undid unions there seemed to be no fuel there at all. going to check fuel pump fuse as shown in manual but it says something about undoing screw on injector pump intake when bleeding but cant locate screw its talking about
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Erm, small point, but would you need the ignition on ( and any immobiliser code entered ) to enable the fuel pump solenoid to allow fuel through ?
I presume you've done this before your banjo tests ?
I have vastly improved my Xantia starting by checking the connections to the glow plugs, although they looked secure,the nuts took a good few turns to tighten.
gen_ii

Post by gen_ii »

yes. checked all that. still no fuel getting pulled through although engine turns over ok. am i overlooking something?
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Is there ANYTHING coming through, any pressure ( air etc ) building up in the pipes directly before the opening ?
I'd dip the opening in a jar of diesel, look for bubbles while you turn it over.
I'm thinking that air is being sucked in somewhere ( in the pump ?? ) Remember that the pump is the only thing bringing the fuel UP from the tank ( except HDI's which have a fuel-tank mounted pump as well ).
buzz

Post by buzz »

Check throttle shaft, on pump as big air/fuel leaks can occur around
this area.
gen_ii

Post by gen_ii »

Sorry its been so long since using the forum. Had lods of probs with pc and car. one of which was forgetting user name and password.
Still having probs with pug....its been off the road since last year. took engine out with intention of putting in new engine but was let down with supply so thought try to rebuild original unit. have tackled a few engines to fruition but not diesel. was advised possible valve clearances wrong but really could do with some advice on where to start. any help greatly appreciated.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Hi Gen_ii,
I came across this site today and noticed your plight. If you are still trying to find your leak have a look at the flexible pipes at the fuel tank. They can go porous. I had a problem with my 205 a number of years ago. It went from garage to garage and eventually I pinpointed it myself. Worth a try!