406 1.9TD Bad Starting

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gen_ii

406 1.9TD Bad Starting

Post by gen_ii »

I have a 406 TD which is giving me trouble starting. It's had new glow plugs and the battery reads ok but starting appears to pull it down although it starts with a jump start after a while. I think there could be a problem with fuel flowing back to the tank. Please help.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

When it eventually starts, what are the characteristics ?
I would prime the fuel system using the bulb in the engine bay, and then try and start. If it seems stuttery, then I would suspect a fuel pipe leak ( air getting in ).
I am having the same problems at the moment ( Xantia ), I have a slight leak in a tiny filter thingy at the bottom corner of the fuel filter housing, and I also believe the priming bulb itself has a slight split in it.
Mat.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you're sure the plugs are OK, it's very likely that you've got an air leak into the fuel line. Next time you go for a cold start, lift the bonnet and squeeze the priming bulb as many times as is necessary to make it feel solid. When it is, immediately go to start. If it starts promptly, you have an air leak. Next thing is to find it!
gen_ii

Post by gen_ii »

From cold without priming, it takes ages to start, sometimes needs a jump. Engine turns but doesn't fire. Gradually the engine turns over slower as if battery is being drained. On the odd occasion it will start though. There is a clear pipe which goes through to the priming bulb which seem to have air in it. I can see the fuel coming through when I prime it but it seeems to run back. I also get quite a bit of greyish smoke from exhaust.
P.s thanks for info so far<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbunting</i>

When it eventually starts, what are the characteristics ?
I would prime the fuel system using the bulb in the engine bay, and then try and start. If it seems stuttery, then I would suspect a fuel pipe leak ( air getting in ).
I am having the same problems at the moment ( Xantia ), I have a slight leak in a tiny filter thingy at the bottom corner of the fuel filter housing, and I also believe the priming bulb itself has a slight split in it.
Mat.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Sounds like you have an almightly air leak somewhere, I would suspect the priming bulb, but follow the piping around from the bulb, to the filter, check the filter is tightly sealed, check the pipe out from the back of the filter into the pump, and check the small pipes that go between the injectors, and back to the pump.
gen_ii

Post by gen_ii »

Many thanks for the info. I will check it out at the weekend. Hope it cures the problem. Once again many thanks for the help and what a great site. Long may it continue.
Tel
My Cars:

Post by Tel »

Hi,
I had a similar bad starting problem on my Citroen ZX 1.9 TD a while back.
If the car stood for a few hours it wouldn’t start unless you wound it over for ages, however if the priming bulb was pumped before attempting to start the car it started no problem.
The problem was indeed an air leak & I eventually traced it to the small leak off pipes between the injectors.
I replaced these small pipes & the bad starting was gone.
So make sure not to overlook these pipes [:)]
Also it’s worth checking that your glow plugs are working as I have seen standard plugs mistakenly fitted to the TD engine instead of the “Long burn plugs”
The standard plugs only tend to last a couple of days, but they are assumed to be working, as they are new.
Good luck,
Regards, Tel.
gen_ii

Post by gen_ii »

I did find a split in one of the small pipes. I have replaced this and it seems a little better. Not had much time to check rest out but still air getting into system somewhere. Just need some time now to check all the rest of the pipes out. Thanks guys for all your help.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If you haven't already looked at the banjo unions, I should make that the next job. Ideally, replace the copper washers either side of the union.
gen_ii

Post by gen_ii »

Done a bit of work on car, still not 100% but a definate improvement though still getting a bit of blue/grey smoke. Would this because air is still getting in the system or is there some other cause that anyone can think off. Will check banjo unions next. Thanks guys.
buzz

Post by buzz »

I have a Peugeot 406 1.9 TD. and have had problems from cold starts.
I replaced glow plugs, banjos, fuel hoses, and fuel filters, but still had to prime the fuel when left for long periods.
On one occasion I noticed after priming a fuel leak comming from the top of the diesel pump. After investigation by P.B. Asher (diesel injection engineers) it was discovered, I had a leak comming from the throttle shaft ( a common fault I'm told ). The pump has to be removed because I have an imobiliser and for a repair and bench test of pump it will cost £220.
I hope this is of some help
gen_ii

Post by gen_ii »

Had to get a jump start today. drove about 1/2 mile stopped engine and wouldn't start again. Tried jump starting to no avail. Had to get AA to come out. He couldn't get it to go no matter what he tried. He said, possibly fuel injector problem or something wrong with engine as it turns over unevenly without firing as if one cylinder or more is down. Do you think I should try to replace engine or can this be rectified reasonably cheaper than an engine change. Many thanks GT
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Have you checked the fuel supply at the injectors? Undo the union on each injector, one at a time, turn over the engine briefly to see if fuel escapes. If there's nothing there, you may have solenoid trouble.
gen_ii

Post by gen_ii »

Hi john. yes the guy from the AA tried that and fuel was coming out when he loosened them. one problem seems to be when you squeeze the priming bulb, fuel runs back over when you release it.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Funny! the priming bulb should have a one way valve built in. It has an arrow moulded into the rubber to show which way round it goes. Has it perhaps been removed and refitted the wrong way round?