Groaning, uneven brakes - it might be...?

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Groaning, uneven brakes - it might be...?

Post by Johnno »

I had a problem with my Xantia brakes involving stickiness and uneveness, akin to a warped disc. I also began to experience an alarming groaning noise on gentle right-hand bends and an even more alarming vibration under hard braking - suggesting a disc might be cracked! The discs aren't very old so I checked (for the umpteenth time) and confirmed there was no warping, no apparent cracking and no corrosion. Decided to take a closer look at all components and noted that one pad was more worn than the others. Following this train of thought, I cleaned the pin at the base of the caliper and also cleaned out the corrosion behind the small clip that locates the pin. A bit of Copperease and Voila! It seems the corrosion products behind the clip create pressure on the pin, preventing the caliper from centralising in tune with movement of the hub/disc.

A cheap fix and something I'll include in the next service.
John
'59 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ saloon, Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
RIP - '07 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ Estate
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've had the same problem and sorted it out in the same way!

It has a tendency to come back and its probably a good idea to grease the top slide too.