C5 tyre pressure sensors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pie eater
My Cars:

C5 tyre pressure sensors

Post by pie eater »

Driving off the car park the other day, went over one of then speed bumps, quite slowly as normal. As soon as I got over it, dash went bing-bong, and got a warning on the display "1 tyre pressure sensor missing".

I've always wondered how these work, and where they are situated. Does anyone have any info on them, to save me the trouble and expense of taking it to Citroen to sort?

And by the way, a Merry Christmas to everyone, and Happy New Year.
C5 2.2HDI Exclusive
Xantia 2.0HDI SX
Eunos Roadster (I'm sure theres enough room under the bonnet for that HDI)
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Take a look here.

http://www.sensorland.com/HowPage040.html

Not specifically C5 - but probably similar. I have them on mine and wonder what will arise when it's time for tyre changes. Will the fitter bugger them up? Will it increase costs?
pie eater
My Cars:

Post by pie eater »

Thanks for that, John. That leaves me with the problem of which one is faulty. I wonder if they are coded, and plugging the car into Citroens money pit will tell me which one is faulty. In the manual it doesn't seem that the in car display will tell you which one is faulty. I don't fancy driving round with that thing bonging everytime I start the car.

WHOAH hold on a minute. Bought the car from Citroen main dealer, with Citroen approved used car warranty, which says it is as good as the warranty on a new car. Watch this space, I'll let you know just how good the warranty is in due course.
C5 2.2HDI Exclusive
Xantia 2.0HDI SX
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Could be the transducer on the car side, not the one inside the the wheel.
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I understood the display on the centre dashboard told you which one down.
pie eater
My Cars:

Post by pie eater »

Mine just displays "1 tyre pressure sensor missing". Havent played with the control stalk to see if it tells you which one - manual doesnt seem to indicate that it will confirm which one. Will have a play tomorrow.
C5 2.2HDI Exclusive
Xantia 2.0HDI SX
Horse

Post by Horse »

Check all your tyre pressures are correct.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

JohnD wrote:I understood the display on the centre dashboard told you which one down.
only the mk2 C5 can tell you which tyre is low as the sensors are programed to a specific position,on the mk1 the car doesent know where each sensor is.
the sensor is incorporated into the valve in the tyre & they are notouriously bad for failing.also sometimes the metal valve caps sieze onto the valve & the only way to get it of is to destroy the valve,best thing to do is to change them for plastic caps.
the recever is inside the indicator/wiper switch assembly.sometimes after a change of tyres the valves need to be re-programed.
obviously as said before check the tyre pressures 1st.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

wheeler wrote:

the sensor is incorporated into the valve in the tyre
So what happens when the tyre fitter rips out the old valve? Will he have similar to replace it with?
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

He will have to buy a new one from Citroën at his expense ;)
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

JohnD wrote:
wheeler wrote:

the sensor is incorporated into the valve in the tyre
So what happens when the tyre fitter rips out the old valve? Will he have similar to replace it with?
Only the valve core should be replaced when changing the tyre,unless you really want the complete assembly replaced but they cost over £50 & need to be programed by Citroen.
pie eater
My Cars:

Post by pie eater »

Checked tyre pressures this morning, rear offside was a little low at 28psi. Topped up and hey presto - no more message. I thought the display would tell you that pressure(s) were low, or a tyre punctured, not that a sensor was missing.

Anyway, a lesson there - Thanks Horse. Check tyre pressures before assuming that a sensor is down. Must have been just coincidence that the message flashed up as I went over a speedbump, I thought summat had fallen off!

Happy New Year to all.
C5 2.2HDI Exclusive
Xantia 2.0HDI SX
Horse

Post by Horse »

No problem :)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

pie eater wrote:Checked tyre pressures this morning, rear offside was a little low at 28psi. Topped up and hey presto - no more message. I thought the display would tell you that pressure(s) were low, or a tyre punctured, not that a sensor was missing.

Anyway, a lesson there - Thanks Horse. Check tyre pressures before assuming that a sensor is down. Must have been just coincidence that the message flashed up as I went over a speedbump, I thought summat had fallen off!

Happy New Year to all.
Perhaps the pressure was almost exactly on the threshold between ok and not ok, and when you hit the bump it would cause a momentary pressure increase followed by a drop and the sensor decided enough was enough and reported a low pressure condition :)

The message could have been worded a bit better though...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Horse

Post by Horse »