Head Gasket?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

easterroad

Head Gasket?

Post by easterroad »

My Peugeot 306 XTDT ( M reg) overheated on the motorway ( Red stop light came on). I pulled off at the next exit, which was less than a mile away, and called the RAC. They diagnosed a air lock in the cooling system. So they refilled it and sent me on my way......40 miles later it overheated again - I caught it as it happened and stopped on the hard shoulder, a recovery truck then towed it back to my home.
When I examined it the next day I saw the following:
Coolant was at the min mark, so I refilled using a header tank and bled the air off as described in Haynes... but noticed what appeared to be oil in the coolant. When I checked the oil level it all looked clean.
Then when I ran the engine the temperature came up and it started to overheat again.... so it is now parked up.
I am guessing this is probably a head gasket failure. Can anyone confirm this is likely , and also how much roughly does it cost to replace one? ( I will also replace the radiator as it was leaking slightly and was on it's way out).
Thanks
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

My head gasket failed last year at 101k. Some of the symptoms were a pressurised cooling system when cool, emulsified oil, a substance like milk or mayonnaise in the cooling system.
The total bill was @£750 which included a new water pump. Fitting a new radiator will add around another £100 and is recommended, as one of the main causes of head gasket failure is poor coolant circulation. Debris from the radiator blocking the system. If you do change the radiator, change the plastic hose at the bottom as well. This is very awkward, so once you are in there change it. This is also the same for the water pump, once you have the engine stripped it is easy to change, as they tend to fail at 130k
Sorry to be the bearer of expensive news
Dr R Swirl-chamber
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

make sure the head is skimmed and pressure tested once removed. It sounds like either head gasket or porous head. I would lean toward the head gasket though due to oil in the coolant. Are you doing it yourself or garage? make sure the timing belt tensioners are done with the timing belt and head.
easterroad

Post by easterroad »

OK, thanks for the info.... - I'll call around garages for some quotes to see if it is worth doing. Otherwise the car graveyard beckons.
easterroad

Post by easterroad »

ok i have a quote for £625 VAT inclusive for head/rad/water pump
so the car may be allowed to survive..head not being knackered withstanding
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

What is the cost of the head alone? I have a spare here, definatley all good, complete with cam, valves and vacuum pump. £75 I'm in the north east.