Steering resistence on XM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DomF9
My Cars:

Steering resistence on XM

Post by DomF9 »

Hi all
Can someone give me some advice. I've just bought an XM and the steering meets resistance about every third of a turn in both directions. Thought it was the columm and uj out of alignment, but now not so sure.
Any thoughts please?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Silly point - I suppose the hydraulic pump drive belt is sound and very tight?
Pinion valve tends to wear on one side first - so one side affected. FDV - well thats a different matter and should give priority to the steering. From my own experience and reading between the lines here when it fails generally the rest of the hydraulics suffer and the steering is OK. The remaining bit is pump which could be weak.
Can't you eliminate your mechanical problem by jacking both front wheels clear of the ground and then turning the steering with the engine turned off? It should be smooth and free then - if not the suspect mechanical.
Jeremy
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Have you had the tyre thread checked and the tracking checked?
It would be a good idea the have the tracking checked before you go to the expense of a hydraulic pump.
I have heard of this problem before and it was the tracking that was way out.
Paul
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Dirty LHM oil is also frequent cause of heavy steering on XM's. Try giving it the hydraflush cure - it can't do any harm and will probably do a lot of good.
//NiSk
DomF9
My Cars:

Post by DomF9 »

Thanks Guys
My local Cit dealer first suggested hydraflus, but the only inconsistency is that brakes, hydraulics etc are all A1 - it goes up, down and stops on a dime so pump seems ok. I personally thought it was one of the UJs out of sync/bottom of steering column bent, but a friend in the AA said he thought it was a worn pinion/rack (teeth broken/missing etc), which is why I wondered if anyone here had had the same probkem.
I will jack the car up this weekend and see if it does it with the wheels in the air.
Thanks all in the meantime... given me a few things to check.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The Series 1 XM's had a HP pump with a single outlet, 9 piston rotory construction and a Flow Divider Valve to distribute high pressure oil to the steering and all other circuits. This valve can be a right pain in the neck, and running hydraflush through it is one way of dislodging any crap floating about in the system. The steering system has its own overflow valve for controlling the pressure to the steering and returning used/overflow oil to the reservoir. It uses by far the majority of HP oil from the pump.
Series 2 XM's have a so called "Xantia" pump with two outlets, six pistons supply the steering alone, the remaining two supply the rest of the cars hydraulic systems (brakes, suspension). This gives you an idea about how demanding the steering servo is!
//NiSk
DomF9
My Cars:

Post by DomF9 »

NiSK
Is there any way of finding out which I may have, or Series 1 or 2? I just got the log book back today, and it just shows the model as "XM". Can the VIN or even a photo distinguish?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If its a 92 its definitly a series 1 - series 2 started in 95. You should have a BX/CX-style HP pump with just one outlet.
//NiSk
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You can see the differences here : http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/mod ... odels.html
The later 2+6 hydraulic pump would clearly have 2 steelpipes connected (and the rubber feed hose).
Early (9 piston) pumps only have a single steel pipe (and the rubber feed hose) connected.
DomF9
My Cars:

Post by DomF9 »

Thanks guys
Yes, mine is clearly a series 1. I have absolutely no idea what model it is supposed to be, all I know is that it has a carburettor, even though in Parker's it lists different variants, XMi etc etc.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Carburettor? Isn't it the so called "monopoint fuel injection" model (base model) - 110 hp? The XMi had proper injection with one injector per cylinder and produced 120 hp.
//NiSk
DomF9
My Cars:

Post by DomF9 »

When it went to Citroen for advice about the steering, the mechanic took one look under the bonnet and said "carburettor, eh? So you're used to it not wanting to start when hot?" which is exactly what I got. It certainly doesn't like doing anything other than idling until it gets hot, similar to how I remember old carb jobbies.