206 - any good?!?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

joshm

206 - any good?!?

Post by joshm »

Hi all,
My g/f is fed up of her old VW Polo and is considering a Pug 206 (I have a 205GT and think its great!).
My question is... are 206's as good as/better than the competition? The alternative at the moment is a Skoda Fabia (looking to spend around £3K).
Also, just how servicable is the 206? Can you still get all the parts and do it yourself (as I do with the 205 and Polo), or is it all black box stuff under there now?
Thanks for any replies/tips...
JoshM
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

After driving lots of small cars your heading in the right direction, I used to get a rental car 3 times a week for work. Ranking from "Don't go there to F.a.b.", was Corsa, Fiesta, Polo, Punto, 206 (& 206 SW).
Merits of these were - Corsa, great 16v 1.2. petrol engine, forget the rest of the car, boring black plastic and stodgy drive.
Fiesta, all I did was hit my left leg against the centre consol, all revving and no go. Horrible.
Polo, this was the 1.9SDi, solid drive, comfy, crap cassette deck.
Punto, 1.2 8v Active. Nippy and quiet around town, quiet on the motorway if not a little pushed at 90mph. (although the 1.216v is only just coming to life at this speed! ) comfy and drives well.
206 - Comfy, if not a little stuffy. Estate lots of room. 1.4 petrol feels streched most of the time, the road to Truro was long that day. Good AC and CD.
I would also consider if new, Hyundai Getz (5yr warranty, and the 1.5TD gets my vote). Seat Ibiza, under £10k new and looks better thank new Golf I think. Dont forget Citroen C3, well nice drive.
All these cars are going to have electronic engine management, but routine serving shouldn't pose any difficulties for DIY. Parts availability, should be fine too. For some reason there are always a lot of 206's in my local breakers yard so there's an indication of parts availabililty for you !