1.9td top gear ratio

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wiggybum
My Cars:

1.9td top gear ratio

Post by wiggybum »

Hello folks..
I've boosted my 406 1.9td power by upping the turbo pressure and I'm pleased with the result. However, it now feels like it's a bit short on gearing. Does anyone know if a HDi box will drop in? I get ~75mph @3000rpm. I want to have nearer 90mph @3000rpm.
Thanks
Tom
www.dieselveg.com
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

The venerable 1.9td does not have the benefit of ECU control so the HDI plug will not fit.
Could changing the final drive/gearbox ratios answer your problems?
wiggybum
My Cars:

Post by wiggybum »

Changing final drive ratio would be ideal i suppose. Thing is, which car would I take the diff from? I understand that the diesel already has a tall top gear compared to the petrol models. Do any of the 306's or 206's have a taller final drive on account of them having smaller wheels....
Do you know which models would be suitable? Gearing ratios, even for my own car aren't easily available.
Thanks
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

One other possible answer is a six speed gearbox. This will depend if it will fit. This will give you overdrive ratio's on the top three speeds. Typical ratio's from memory are 4 = 0.95:1, 5 = 0.80:1 and 6 should be somewhere in the region of 0.075:1.
Final drives used to be anything from 4 - 3.5:1.
Did the V6 406 have a 6 speed 'box fitted at some point in time?. I suspect this will be the same one as the 1.9dt as the torque rating will be similar.
I will try to find out the gear ratio's and final drive over the next few days.
One possible source of information could be the Peugeot Owners club as they might have a technical person or some of the performance car magazines
Kevin
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

306 6 speed may fit, have seen this in a custom 205 before.