100,000 miles Hdi?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Muggins
My Cars:

100,000 miles Hdi?

Post by Muggins »

Due to a growing family i need a big car but i also need to be able to fuel it.
I've narrowed it down to a Peugeot 406 Hdi Estate, the only problem is the mileage of what i can afford.. I am looking at 100,000 miles for around the £5000
I would be grateful if anyone could give their opinion on whether this is a good choice with this mileage on it?
The cars i have seen have been in excellent condition with full service history.
Is this car worth buying with this mileage on it?
thanks and your replies are very much appreciated.
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

Hi,
The commonly held belief is that diesel engines are good for 250,000+ miles and at 100,000 they were just getting into their prime. I bought a two year old 306 with the older 1.9 engine which had done 56,000. Two years and 30,000 miles later the engine exploded, having previously owned 6 petrol cars all of which went over 100,000 miles I wasn’t happy. But normally the diesel Peugeots are good for at least 200K, my only concern would be how long all the new electronic stuff controlling the HDI fuelling will last.
Buying a 406 with that sort of mileage on it shouldn’t be a problem. It would be a good idea to give any prospective car a good going over to try and find out how those miles were put on the car. Lots of stone chips on the front with a nice positive gearbox and a smooth ride equals a motorway car (good), a clean bonnet with a baggy gearbox and suspension equals town car (bad).
Apart from that it would be just a case of checking the normal consumables like brakes and tyres plus that the cambelt has been recently changed. Also being an estate take a good look at the floor of the boot and the rear suspension just in case the previous owner had been carrying something very heavy.
Muggins
My Cars:

Post by Muggins »

cheers for ya reply mate ;)
still hunting, seen quite a few now, its just pleasing the wife with which one i bring home thats got me in a fix now lol