xantia reversing lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crooser

xantia reversing lights

Post by crooser »

fuses and bulbs are ok on my 97 xantia saloon but no reversing lights.can anyone suggest the next step if this is a known problem.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Next step would be to check out the reversing light switch.
crooser

Post by crooser »

i am trying to do that now.what i have found is 12v at the bulb sockets but as soon as the bulbs are connected the voltage drops to zero.trying to find the rv switch is a nightmare on it's own.
beezer

Post by beezer »

It does appear that you have a current leak somewhere. I do not know the engine/gearbox type in your car but the reversing light switch is likely to be on top of the gearbox casing - it will look similar to the fan switch on your radiator. Do you get 12v reading when the gearbox is in neutral?
crooser

Post by crooser »

beezer,i only get 12v in reverse, ignition on so i'll try and find the switch and check for leakage or poor contacts there.[o volts in neutral]
beezer

Post by beezer »

I would say then that the reversing light switch is probably ok. Right enough, the contacts might be faulty but it looks more like a poor earth or corroded wiring. If you have an ammeter capable of handling the current from your battery it would give you more insight. Best of luck!
crooser

Post by crooser »

beezer,it was the reversing light switch.on a xantia like mine[97 manual]the switch is under the clutch operating lever which in turn is under the wiring loom,hydraulic pipes and a big plastic moulding that carries wiring and pipes which in turn is under part of the battery case and air filter.citroen-another challenging job done,you will not beat me.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Glad you got it sorted. The Peugeot switch is not so hidden but is probably much in the same place.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I have had these swiches fail on two BXs - the gearbox oil gets inside them on to the contacts, and have successfully dismantled and repaired them. As one was an automatic, and the switch about fifty quid, this was a necessity!