clutch for BX TZi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

barryg
My Cars:

clutch for BX TZi

Post by barryg »

I need to purchase a clutch kit for my BX TZi, RP5852 built late 92.
Does anyone know which clutch is the correct one, it's either N18918 or N18920. The GSF guy thinks it's N18920 as my BX is a very late model, but I don't know if it has a plastic release bearing which would be definitive.
My TZi has a right angled lever arm that looks like it is made from flat steel maybe 1/8 inch thick pivoted outside/on top of the gearbox that pushes the clutch lever arm via a rod that's maybe 2 inches long.
Thanks,
Barry.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi
Although both Citroen and Valeo say that the clutches chnage from the metal bearing to the plastic one in 4/89, in reality, for RHD cars this is not the case.
If you have the bolt on type lever arm that pushes a clutch rod, adjusted with 13mm nut, then regardless of the age of the car, then you have a metal release bearing = "early" clutch
barryg
My Cars:

Post by barryg »

Just looked under the bonnet; the pushrod has a 13mm nut on the other side of the lever arm from the clutch lever arm & what seems to be a 15mm flat on the other side, presumably to allow one to adjust the 13mm nut without the whole thing turning.
So, looks like I need a N18918 clutch kit after all.
Thanks,
Barry.
barryg
My Cars:

Post by barryg »

OK, and update & another question.
Got the old clutch out today, and it indeed has a metal release bearing, and as far as I can tell is the original clutch. Not bad for 240000km. Even better the new Valeo clutch looks identical in all respects. Getting the gearbos out is certainly a bit tricky. It would be much easier if one could remove the flat steel selector lever for the gate. This seems to be held on by a hammered in pin.
The bad news is that the plastic cup that holds the clutch fork in place on the ball thingy has disintegrated, and from the looks of the bits this happened some time ago. I looked at the ball, but I'm can't see how it comes out. There's no flats anywhere for a spanner to unscrew it. Does anyone know how this goes together?
Thanks,
Barry.
colin.dibley
My Cars:

Post by colin.dibley »

hi Barry...
the ball thingy is pressed in. on mine, i've removed it with a slide hammer with attachment to 'hook' the ball.
i'd bought a new ball thingy, but realised after that it wouldn't have been necessary to remove it; the plastic moulding which retains the clutch lever arm in place can be pulled over the ball.
you might notice that the plastic moulding is held in place by melting over the ends of the 2 pins. when i got a new moulding (the next clutch change!) i put it back with 2 small self tapping screws.
hope you understand the explanation!