BX handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rob Marshall

BX handbrake

Post by Rob Marshall »

Having a little trouble with the trusty BX!
Changed the hydraflush with pukka LHM, and drained out the 80W90 gearbox oil, and refilled with 75/90; so now at least I can get the gears when the thing is cold - but there is a problem...
over the last month, the handbrake has had to be pulled up to the sky; and even though it holds, the first 3 clicks are freeplay. When I was working on the car, I found that the offside wheel could be turned with the handbrake on: not good. The handbrake arm on the caliper turns a little; but upon taking the rubber boot behind the caiper off, it was a little rusty. Teh nerside one is spotless under the rubber.
Am I looking at a snapped handbrake cable, or a dead caliper I wonder? I am thinking of adjusting the offside cable inside the car to see what happens. Do you recommend changing the cables in pairs?? or is it likely the caliper is dead??
MoT in January so not too much rush, but I anticipate a very unpleasant job ahead...
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Probably better to source a working caliper from a breaker.
Stewart
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

So any chance of the cables then?
Are they a pain??
Jon

Post by Jon »

I'd be inclined to disconnect the cable from the caliper, then get someone to operate the handbrake whilst you look and see if the cable inner is actually moving. If it is, cable OK, and caliper will be the main suspect.
Not a nightmare to do the cable. Need to get the car up on ramps or 4 axle stands. Disconnect cable from caliper and pull it backwards through (I think) 3 metal support brackets. Then, inside the car, remove the housing around the handbrake (1x 10mm nut at back,one 10mm bolt behind gearlever) and disconnect the cable from the handbrake using long pliers. Then get under the car, pull the cable through and out through the remaining support brackets. At this point, its a good plan to get back in the car and poke some wire through the hole in the floor that the cable goes through, you can tie this to the new cable to pull it through. When you've done a few you sort of learn where the hole is from underneath and poke the cable through it!
Anyway, if you are still awake(!!) fit your new cable but don't do up the 2 adjusting nuts, have them backed off for now. Start the car up in High, and stamp on the brake pedal a couple of times whilst pulling the handbrake up and down, this will set the adjusters in the calipers. Turn engine off, and pull up the handbrake lever 4 clicks. Then do up the 2 locking nuts on the cable until disc becomes difficult to turn, this usually gives fairly good adjustment.