406LDT Fuel Gauge

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Malcolm
My Cars:

406LDT Fuel Gauge

Post by Malcolm »

Fuel gauge - 405 LDT. Infrequently reads correctly. Otherwise at bottom or wanging right over to the stop past full mark. The empty light illuminates correctly.
I've just had the instrument panel out but nothing to see without getting inside it. Has any one had similar experience or can suggest what might be wrong.
There also is a problem with odometer / trip. Normally unable to read. At niht with lights on it is then clear enough to read. Any suggestions. Could it be linked in anyway to fuel gauge?
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The trip recorder sounds like a blown backlight bulb, When you turn the lights on all the other bulbs will light the panel up.
I would check the fuel level sender under the back seat, might be dodgy or a lose connection to it.
Also check the earth connections to the panel.
My mates 1996 406 2.0 petrol LX has no diagnostic light, rev counter, fuel gauge & the airbag lights been flashing for 6 months, The speedo & temp gauge work though, lol
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

Greetings, I've had this problem on a '98 PSA vehicle with VDO instruments (including electronic speedo). The cause is poor connections on the flexi print behind the gauges, particularly where the zero ohm links are crimped to the track. They insanely crimp the wires to an unplated track, giving a high resistance, and intermittent low fuel readings.
Bridge the circuit end to end on the panel with a soldered wire link. Doing this increased the range of my vehicle by 150 miles!
rotodiesel.
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks for the replies. Just got back from work.
The fuel gauges has been close to working OK since having the instrument panel out. Pressing the 'glass' in front of gauge makes it change one way or other.
Forgot to ask previously. The illumination of the trip/odo, on a 406 that works, is the illumination of trip brighter for day time use and dims when lights on?