Can you tell me..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tudor
My Cars:

Can you tell me..

Post by tudor »

What is the difference between a regulator. And a regulator sphere?
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Regulator, On citroens of hydraulic type decied where and when hyd pressure is required and dishes it out as needed, an accumulator 'regulator' sphere is what holds the spare pressure for the systems requirements (or if its an older car a regulator could be what controls the alternator voltage but probably not what you meant)
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tudor</i>

What is the difference between a regulator. And a regulator sphere?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The pressure regulator monitors the line pressure, and when it is sufficient, allows all the output from the pump to go straight back to the reservoir - 'cut-out' This makes the 'click' that you hear. When line pressure has been used by the suspension, steering, or brakes, and falls to the 'cut-in' pressure, the valve in the regulator closes and the pump output goes to the line again.
The sphere is actually an 'accumulator' sphere, and it is there because liquids like LHM are incompressible, so it acts as a reservoir for pressure. Although it is attached to the regulator for convenience, it could have been atttached to the main hydraulic line anywhere. DS folk sometimes relocate it.
If the sphere was not present, then as soon as half a spoonful of LHM had been used for, say, braking, the pressure would drop and the reg would cut in again. This is what happens if the sphere fails.
HTH