Xantia 1.8 16v clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ffelan
My Cars:

Xantia 1.8 16v clutch

Post by ffelan »

hi guys..
more daft questions
what gearbox code / clutch size is my xantia? will it be similar/same as any current peugeots/citroens as i need an uprated one for track use...? any ideas?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The existing flywheel determines the clutch size, which in effect is the diameter of the friction plate.
If you want change clutch size, you must go change the flywheel first, and this then determines the clutch size.
The clutch size in turn is factory designed by the engine torque figure.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It might be worth looking at the specifications of the turbo diesel cars which have a much higher torque output (CT turbo Xantia engine as well.)
What you are looking for is a clutch using the same size disc with a stronger diaphragm spring and perhaps an improved disc with stronger radial springs in it. What you must do is obviously check the disc splines, pressure plate fixing holes and release bearing type and height. - ie buy your friendly motor factor a couple of pints and get him to let you have a look at his books and hopefully the bits themselves.
Whatever you do do not try and fit a diesel flywheel. This will slow your car by an unbelieveable amount as the rotating mass to be accelerated every time you rev the engine will increase.
jeremy