I know this sounds crazy, but...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6

I know this sounds crazy, but...

Post by 406 V6 »

what do you think if i connected 2 front spheres (one from 1.8 and one from 2.0hdi) on the same strut? Would using them in parallel, since the pressure is equal, but diff damping, reduce the damping diferrence between the 2 in half (like 4+3.5/2 = 3.75)? or are they better with a solenoid to change between the two?
it's a matter of overdamping and under-damping, really...
Thanks! :D
AndersDK

Post by AndersDK »

2 spheres in parallel equals :
double sphere volume = softer suspension
double flow restrictor area = less restriction = less damping = even VERY soft suspension (US car syndrome)
If spheres are not equal, then "double" means the sum of the 2 sphere specs
It all depends of the end goal you want.
If you want a rock hard, very stable suspension at speed (for track driving) you have to reduce sphere pressure, and reduce restrictor area.
One could think of a motordriven flow restrictor valve (like a standard waterpiping ball-valve), which could be set at driver's will.
Add to this the setup from the hydractive system where an extra sphere is connected for softness at traffic road speed.
406 V6

Post by 406 V6 »

You see Anders, when using the 1.8 spheres, which has a 1.9/1.3mm dia. restrictor (the standard 2.0HDI has 1.75/1.3mm dia.), the car as a too soft, on the damping view, suspension (equal pressure, but a heavier engine than the 1.8L), having an oversteer behaviour on wet surfaces, while the standard sphere is a wee bit too hard (for me, that is). That's why i was thinking: having a manual hydractive [:)] or a damping factor equal to the mean damping of the 2 spheres.
Honestly, never considered the volume doubling. humm, and if i used 2 standard equal HDI spheres? It becomes too soft, right? restrictor area doubling...
I should go to the homemade hydractive...
Are sphere compatible connectors available on the household pipe market? Like 1/2", 3/4"....
Thanks! [:D]
AndersDK

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Are sphere compatible connectors available on the household pipe market? Like 1/2", 3/4"....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No idea on C5 bits.
If these are the same kind as used on previous models like BX, CX, Xantia etc, - then the scrapyard would be my first try.
The CX had an extra sphere remotely fitted in engine bay corner for brakes accumulator. The antisink sphere on XM/Xantia I believe simply have an adapter fitted for the standard 3.5mm pipe union connection.