XM engine removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doc
My Cars:

XM engine removal

Post by Doc »

It's been a few weeks since I posted my cam belt fitting problem on a 2.1 TD XM. Well, I'm glad to report that after advice from members on this forum I did away with the fuel pump locking pins and turned the pump slightly ahead of where the holes should be. This allowed the belt to mesh correctly once it was fitted around the cam, water pump and tension roller. <b>(</b>The Haynes manual was totally inadequate and didn't even mention this method. Even though I have fitted numerous belts to various makes of car, I had never replaced a cambelt on the 2.1 unit and have not come across the meshing 'problem' on any other make. <b>)</b> This goes to show that you never stop learning and that with forums such as this, the old adage "a problem shared is a problem halved" is true.
While the engine was out, I sorted out various oil leaks from the rear of the engine and cleaned and checked the subframe and hydraulic pipes for corrosion and damage - a job much easier with the engine out.
Today -21st Oct- I finally finished off refitting lights, connectors and fluid replenishing. I am very pleased to say the XM started first time and runs perfectly. [:D]
I would suggest to anyone contemplating engine removal to get hold of a digital camera and take as many reference photos as possible at all stages of removal. I also found a tippex pen came in useful to mark up connectors etc and even after two weeks of the car sitting out in all weathers, the markings didn't fade or flake off.
Once again thanks to all those members who offered tips and stuff.[:)]
Doc[:D]