Driving Xantia Depressurised

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiatdsx
My Cars:

Driving Xantia Depressurised

Post by xantiatdsx »

94 TDSX hatchback
I have it depressurised as a result of changing the spheres. Problem is the pipe on the rear central sphere sheared then messed up in a big way. I have a trailer coming to take it to a garage with a 4 post jack but can I drive it ie. run the engine for movement, without it pressurised and 1 sphere missing (central?)
This will make getting it onto the trailer alot easier than the allready hard task.
Thanks
TIM
[8)]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yes, you can 'drive' it but there will be no suspension (obviously!) and no brakes. Curiously on an anti-sink car you may get PAS (until the LHM runs out!). It will leak LHM all over the place too - although probably not if you leave the bleed screw open.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

With no brakes of course!
The car will be almost impossible to get on a trailer as it will be too low. The pump could suffer damage if it is running without any LHM as a lubricant. You could take the belt off.
Oh the joys of citroen ownership!
jeremy
xantiatdsx
My Cars:

Post by xantiatdsx »

If i weld up a blanking plate and block the pipe will i be ok to drive it (as a tempory obviously?)
Will it work fine without the sphere?
TIM[?]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

All you need do, is weld up the end of the pipe going to the centre sphere, and not connect / refit the sphere.
The system will be to refill with LHM, but you will be able to drive the car like that.
myheadhurts
My Cars:

Post by myheadhurts »

A couple of years ago my dad drove a bx diesel back to west yorks from heathrow airport with no lhm in it at all after a pipe burst on the way down.Not the most pleasent journey of my life but neither of us fell asleep[:p]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by myheadhurts</i>

A couple of years ago my dad drove a bx diesel back to west yorks from heathrow airport with no lhm in it at all after a pipe burst on the way down.Not the most pleasent journey of my life but neither of us fell asleep[:p]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Please tell us when your dad is driving next and we'll all stay at home
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

When something like that happened to me, I screwed in a self tapper with some silicone around it, it stops there being such a mess anyway!!!!<font face="Andale Mono"></font id="Andale Mono">[V]