what to look for in a xantia 19td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tj
My Cars:

what to look for in a xantia 19td

Post by tj »

After selling off by BX, I am thinking of getting a xantia 1.9td. What are the things I need to look for when choosing a td ?
http://www.alllinuxcd.com
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Apart from the usual things to check on a second hand citroen like lots of paperwork, s/h, do the 'citerobics', sitting on the boot with engine running to check in the suspension rights itself etc etc one quick thing that pops to mind is I have found with the 3 xantia's I own is the boot lock sticks on all of them. Sometimes you have to lock/unlock the car before the button pops out. Pain in the backside when you have your arms full and keys in pocket. And leaks, check all footwells for damp patches which can be a sign of blocked drains or leaking heater matrix in the front.
I am sure others will recommend better things to look at, like those things that stop the car, erm what they called again........?!
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

smokey turbo's never a good sign. You can tell a well maintained one if the spheres are clean! this means they have been replaced & not neglected.
Apart from that check for oil leaks, cos mine is starting to get to me now..!
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

David W has a comprehensive list
http://tinyurl.com/43rwg
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Hey nice one David W!!
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Adzbaby,
The boot lock mechanism did the same on my Xantia, wouldn't unlock or had to be unlocked with the key. I removed the lock and stripped it down. It was full of crud and the springs had rusted away.
After a good clean with gunk then a squirt of WD40, I put some new springs in it greased it up and re-assembled it.
Works a treat now.
Paul[:)]