106gti temperature problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Apydia

106gti temperature problems

Post by Apydia »

I've recently been having problems with my engine overheating.
I checked the coolant level and found that it needed topping up as it was very low (which I've done) but the engine still seems to get very hot very quick, Especially if I'm in traffic.
At present it takes about 10-15 minutes in traffic for the temperature guage to redline.
I've used Pennizoil coolant as I can't find the Peugeot recommended stuff (Revkogel 107 or Procor 3000) anywhere....
Would the fact that I've used a different coolant to the recommended ones make that much difference???
If not, any ideas what might be causing this??
Apydia
Edited by - Apydia on 26 Jul 2002 14:01:22
paul141
My Cars:

Post by paul141 »

just sounds like a sticky temostat to me or a partly blocked rad the 106 range do suffer from rad problems, as I found out to my cost !
paul141
My Cars:

Post by paul141 »

That should have said THERMOSTAT (but look at the rad)
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

SOUNDS LIKE THE COOLING FAN NOT KICKING IN. THE COOLING FAN SHOULD KICK IN BEFORE THE TEMP GOES TO THE RED. WITH THE ENGINE IDLING CHECK THAT FAN KICKS IN BEFORE THE RED. IF IT DOESNT THEN YOU NEED A NEW FAN SWITCH.
IF THE FAN WORKS LOOK AT THERMOSTATE.
WOULD ADVISE YOU FIX THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AS THESE ALLOY ENGINES DONT LIKE TO MUCH HEAT.
Apydia

Post by Apydia »

The cooling fan does kick in but struggles to keep the temperature still keeps rising although not as fast.
I've checked the thermostat and that looks fine.
I have noticed that I've got a leak in the Radiator though.....
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

It might be the begining of an head gasket problem. Is the system excessively pressurised. Or it might be a blocked raditor which means that cooling system should be throughly flushed out, and refilled with fresh antifrezze. if the raditor leaks then it needs to be replaced before the engine looses all its coolent.
paul141
My Cars:

Post by paul141 »

Here we go again ! there must have been shares sold in rad firms when they made the 106 !!
If I had a pound ...............
Find a GOOD rad company and they may just make you a better rad for your 106 if not just get a new one before (as someone has said) the head gasket blows, and that does not take much on any 106, and it costs you a arm and a leg to fix it.