Exhaust problem 1.9LXTD Xsara 1998

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

compbuild

Exhaust problem 1.9LXTD Xsara 1998

Post by compbuild »

Hi all,
I've recently noticed a noise coming from underneath my car whe the engine is idling, I think its probably a hole in the exhaust, whats the best thing to do about this, can you still get those exhaust patches?, are they any good, or should I just take it into a kwik Fit?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If your exhaust has rusted to the point that you've got holes, patching welding and bandaging are only really temporary fixes, once the exhaust has rusted through in one place its not far off rusting through in other places too.
Its probably time for a new exhaust, repairs on exhausts are usually just temporarilly putting off the inevitable.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

But don't use Kwik Fit. A quick ring around and you'll find most competitors can beat them on price.
And, I'm stating the bleedin' obvious here, but do jack it up to find out what the problem is.
If you find the hole, you'll be less likely to swallow any flannel about how much of your exhaust needs replacing.
The Xsara TD has a catalytic converter - if that's knacked you may choose to remove it and fit a through pipe instead to avoid a big bill.
Finally, the thing might just be vibrating because of a broken exhaust mounting.
compbuild

Post by compbuild »

If I remove the cat, will it still pass the mot
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Yes.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

I thought cats were compulsory after 1997 for diesels?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

They are, but its not part of the MOT test. All thats tested is the smoke emissions, which isn't affected by the cat at all.
ossian

Post by ossian »

on my xsara 1.9 TDMy exhusts just fractured at the weld on the middle section just before its goes into the cat. Pretty annoyed as only had a new middle section put on two weeks ago presumably the system was supposed to have been checked then, theres been a few unusual noises coming from underneath at different engine speeds and looking back that was probably the early stages of the weld failing.
AA had a look and thinks it will need the new front piece including the cat, quotes from £150 to £240 latter being National tyres.
Read the other postings on getting rid of the cat.
Question is if I do that will it effect the engine,settings performance and the turbo?
Has anyone had the cat replaced on one of these are the prices i've been qouted average?
Advice appreciated.
Tony
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

if you intend to keep the car then why not opt for a stainless steel exhaust i got a zaust system fitted to my xantia they reused the cat and it was less than a mild steel system